Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

40 S&W feed issues. Help a newbie out.

Angelr15

I have built a new toy glock for shooting open division uspsa out of a glock 22. Gun has shot well with factory ammo but I just switched out to a large 4 port Carver custom compensator so I started loading appropriate ammo for the compensator. I just loaded up my first batch of 40 s&w ammo. I am new to reloading pistol ammo but have reloaded for my rifles for several years.

I loaded mixed brass with the following load

All brass measured, cleaned, lubed, sized/deprimed, swaged, cleaned, primed, belled, charged, seated/lightcrimped. Check cycling them in the gun and had no setback.

Federal small pistol magnum primer

8.5 grains of Hodgdon HS6

Berrys bullets 155 grain fp

Loaded to 1.125

I had no pressure signs and the load shot well through my gun but it had about 30 failure to feeds out of 100 rounds this morning. 

Not sure where to start for resolving the issue. Longer OAL maybe? Gun has recommended 15lb recoil spring from Carver custom but issues happens both why shooting and manually cycling.

Here are a few pictures of the issue and the round once cleared as well as the barrel feed ramp. Any help is appreciated !

20190715_091803_zpswazebzuq.jpg

20190715_091620_zpsyc3vlq77.jpg

20190715_101354_zps7h3wdwvk.jpg

IMG_20190712_085326_598_zpswqcfirb7.jpg

Edited by Angelr15

4 minutes ago, N3WWN said:

Is the slide moving back far enough that it gets behind the round or is the rim of the round stuck under the breech face?

It seams to be clearing the breach face. This happened both while manually cycling the slide by hand as well as while firing.

http://20190715_091639_zpsoltdf6se.jpg

Did you change recoil springs (installed a lighter one) when you added the comp?

What does the brass look like from before the comp was added?  Does that brass also have the partial ring that we can see in the 1st pic?

28 minutes ago, N3WWN said:

Did you change recoil springs (installed a lighter one) when you added the comp?

What does the brass look like from before the comp was added?  Does that brass also have the partial ring that we can see in the 1st pic?

I did change the recoil spring to the 15lb spring as recommended by Carver custom for this comp. 

The brass only has this partial ring on the rounds that fail to feed. Did not have this issue before with factory ammo so none of the brass prior has this mark. 

Failure happens when simply manually cycling the slide without firing so I am guessing it is more ammo related than compensator related since this is the first time I have loaded 40 s&w and first time around with this bullets.

2 minutes ago, Angelr15 said:

I did and they plunk in just fine... just wont feed from the magazine consistently...

could be under powered for that Comp..up the charge ..do it in steps 

Looks like the transition from the feed ramp to the chamber is pretty sharp... at least from my experience with 1911s. 

Disclaimer: I'm not a Glock guy and don't even own one, so it may be normal for a Glock.

Try loading some dummy rounds at different lengths, remove the recoil spring and see if one of them hand cycles any smoother than the rest.    I do this for my 1911s if they have a feed issue like this.  I'll load up dummy rounds in 0.010" increments to test.  

The reason I asked about the recoil spring is that open guns usually have a lower weight recoil spring than non-comp'd pistols.  The factory recoil spring could be returning the slide to battery faster than the lighter recoil spring, minimizing or disguising the feed issue.

Furrly the fact that it does this when manually cycling the slide or sending the slide home with the slide release leads me to think it isnt charge weight related. 

Edited by Angelr15

7 minutes ago, N3WWN said:

Looks like the transition from the feed ramp to the chamber is pretty sharp... at least from my experience with 1911s. 

Disclaimer: I'm not a Glock guy and don't even own one, so it may be normal for a Glock.

Try loading some dummy rounds at different lengths, remove the recoil spring and see if one of them hand cycles any smoother than the rest.    I do this for my 1911s if they have a feed issue like this.  I'll load up dummy rounds in 0.010" increments to test.  

The reason I asked about the recoil spring is that open guns usually have a lower weight recoil spring than non-comp'd pistols.  The factory recoil spring could be returning the slide to battery faster than the lighter recoil spring, minimizing or disguising the feed issue.

Thanks for the tips! I'll give that a whirl and see what cycles better and go from there. I also have a rounded shoulder bullet profile that I can try to see if that helps...

2 minutes ago, Angelr15 said:

Furrly the fact that it does this when manually cycling the slide or sending the slide home with the slide release leads me to think it isnt charge weight related. 

could be a bullet profile issue, or possible a magazine issue,...i.e ..springs , followers...what factory stuff where you running before ???

2 minutes ago, Furrly said:

could be a bullet profile issue, or possible a magazine issue,...i.e ..springs , followers...what factory stuff where you running before ???

I am going to try a rounded should bullet next to see if that clears up the issue. 

I tried 3 diffrent magazines to verify it wasnt that. All three used have worked well. 

I was running a heavier recoil spring and smaller previously but I had never shot this load or bullet before.

I will try cycling the factory ammo I was using successfully before to narrow it down to a ammo issue...

3 minutes ago, Angelr15 said:

I am going to try a rounded should bullet next to see if that clears up the issue. 

I tried 3 diffrent magazines to verify it wasnt that. All three used have worked well. 

I was running a heavier recoil spring and smaller previously but I had never shot this load or bullet before.

I will try cycling the factory ammo I was using successfully before to narrow it down to a ammo issue...

FP are finicky with certain pistols, try round nose bullets,,,I do not think it is a recoil spring issue since it is doing it when you manually cycle the gun...unless you want to load shorter...that might be tricky due possible high pressure ...

Plunk test: The solution to chambering problems is to determine the cause:

Take the barrel out of the gun. Drop rounds in until you find one that won't chamber. Take that round and "paint" the bullet and case black with Magic Marker or other marker. Drop round in barrel (or gage) and rotate it back-and-forth a few times.

Remove and inspect the round:

1) Scratches in the ink on bullet--COL is too long

2) Scratches in the ink on edge of the case mouth--insufficient crimp

3) Scratches in the ink just below the case mouth--too much crimp, you're crushing the case

4) Scratches in the ink on case at base of bullet--bullet seated crooked due to insufficient case expansion (not case mouth flare) or improper seating stem fit

5) Scratches in the ink on case just above extractor groove--case bulge not removed during sizing. May need a bulge buster.

Usually, if the round hangs up on the feed ramp, it is due to the COL being too long—but your round looks like a short COL. In your case, with gun empty, pull slide back and check if barrel is lifting up from the frame/feed ramp due to compensator.

Before loading ANY bulley, first create two inert dummy rounds so you can slower reduce COL until the rounds fit the magazine, feed and chamber without issue. Too many folks seem to think there is just ONE COL that covers all bullets and this is NOT so. Just a few minutes testing will almost always establish a COL that will work with any particular gun.

Edited by noylj