Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Random mag release

Localizer

Are you hitting mag release by accident under recoil? Need new mag release spring? The mag release fully hooking on to notch in mag? Mag release is firm and does not wobble when loaded mag inserted?

I had this issue with a Sig p226 a few years back. I installed the X5 extended mag release and my support hand would bump it. Can you reach a standard mag release or go with smaller/notched grips?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, HesedTech said:

What model pistol and whose Mags?

Mag capacity, are you using extended base plate?

Small frame stock mags tend to not work as well as Mec has been my experience. 

Small frame mags are mec gar

5 hours ago, goshimu said:

Small frame mags are mec gar

Ok I too swapped the mag release on my small frame and had the same issue with factory mags, but when I purchased mec gar for the CZ75 B the problem went away. I also noticed these mags were slightly thinner and fell out of the well far easier when released.  

I think the issue is with the retaining hole in the mag and how it engages the retaining tab. Maybe file a bit off the top of the opening, but be careful, just a little at a time.

I think the Tanfoglio extended mag release is a slightly thicker. I’d put some calipers on the two, but it’s too much trouble to take it apart so I’ll wait till a major cleaning. 

Just some ideas. 

Edited by HesedTech

Had the same issue with my SF. Two fixes. You can grind a little meat off the U shape of the mag release, close to the end where the nub is that catches the mag. This will allow the mag catch to protrude deeper into the opening, giving it more area to catch the mag. Before I did this, I pried a little bit of the top of the metal on the  hole where the mag catch goes.

One gets the metal closer to the mag catch, the other bring the mag catch closer to mag.

Thanks for the replies this far.

More info...

1. It’s a Large frame stock 1.

2. It uses Mecgar mags.

3. It doesn’t happen all the time.

its possible I hit the mag release accidentally w my support hand. I’ll go back to the wood grips to fill up my support hands (I have LOK thin grips on it now).

I installed the extended custom mag release on my Stock II.  Shot it for probably 3k rounds without issue, until the Alabama State match.  Something changed with my grip, and I was dropping mags left and right.  I took a dremel to the the mag button, and rounded off the squared edge, and took a good bit a material off.  Still larger then the factory mag catch, and some 5k rounds later it has never happened again.  

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...