Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best Factory PCC for 12 Year Old

I’ve been running a Foxtrot Mike (FM Products) 16” FM-9 I put together for a few weeks now, and it’s honestly incredible for what it cost to put together using all their stuff w/ BCM furniture (thinking I’ve got maybe $600 into it w/o counting my Hiperfire trigger and optic).

My 9 year old who’s never shot a rifle-length gun besides an BB/pellet gun was regularly tearing out 50-cent piece sized holes at 20yrds today on his first time out! (The blast and concussion of my 5.56 AR is scary to him even though it’s dialed and the recoil is probably less, that said, I’m running a Strike Industries 9mm “mini king comp” and their Oppressor over it which I do at indoor ranges, I run their J-Comp on my 556 which does basically what my Lantac Dragon did for like $30 bucks, and it actually sounds like it’s suppressed it’s so quiet, the 9 not the 556, on the 556 the Oppressor just makes people hate you much less indoors lol) 

I’ve shot a couple different tricked out JP’s and a trick MBX, and unfortunately spent a little time with an MPX that wouldn’t run reliably... I put together the FM honestly to just get my feet wet before fully diving into JP and that kind of money, but so far the FM hasn’t given me a reason to do anything other than buy more ammo; it’s been 100% malfunction free (and even locks back every single time on every mag if you care). With my little guy learning on it, I actually do appreciate the LRBHO for clearing and safety reasons...

Edited by ck1
4 hours ago, ck1 said:

I’ve been running a Foxtrot Mike (FM Products) 16” FM-9 I put together for a few weeks now, and it’s honestly incredible for what it cost to put together using all their stuff w/ BCM furniture (thinking I’ve got maybe $600 into it w/o counting my Hiperfire trigger and optic).

My 9 year old who’s never shot a rifle-length gun besides an BB/pellet gun was regularly tearing out 50-cent piece sized holes at 20yrds today on his first time out! (The blast and concussion of my 5.56 AR is scary to him even though it’s dialed and the recoil is probably less, that said, I’m running a Strike Industries 9mm “mini king comp” and their Oppressor over it, and it actually sounds like it’s suppressed it’s so quiet) 

I’ve shot a couple different tricked out JP’s and a trick MBX, and unfortunately spent a little time with an MPX that wouldn’t run reliably... I put together the FM honestly to just get my feet wet before fully diving into JP and that kind of money, but so far the FM hasn’t given me a reason to do anything other than buy more ammo; it’s been 100% malfunction free (and even locks back every single time on every mag if you care). With my little guy learning on it, I actually do appreciate the LRBHO for clearing and safety reasons...

hey where'd ya find a 16 upper. Looks out of stock everywhere.

14 minutes ago, mikey_golds said:

hey where'd ya find a 16 upper. Looks out of stock everywhere.

I had to order the upper from OpticsPlanet because Primary Arms was out... I got one with the hinged “old style “ charging handle which isn’t optimal if you’re 6’2 on the 15” rail lol, emailed fm-products and I’ll be sending them a $10 check to get the newer smaller charging handle set-up. FWIW, FM got back to me so fast I have no idea how I stomached fighting with Sig over springs for my pump action MPX lol

Edited by ck1
Just now, ck1 said:

I had to order the upper from OpticsPlanet because Primary Arms was out... I got one with the hinged “old style “ charging handle which isn’t optimal if you’re 6’2 on the 15” rail lol, emailed fm-products and I’ll be sending them a $10 check to get the newer smaller charging handle set-up. FWIW, FM got ack to me so fast I have no idea how I stomached fighting with Sig over springs for my pump action MPX lol

Lol Im actually on OpticsPlanet now.

https://www.opticsplanet.com/fm-products-premium-rifle-builders-kit-16in-fm9.html

Is that too good to be true?  or is that the old style.

7 minutes ago, mikey_golds said:

Lol Im actually on OpticsPlanet now.

https://www.opticsplanet.com/fm-products-premium-rifle-builders-kit-16in-fm9.html

Is that too good to be true?  or is that the old style.

Man, it’s probably GTG from what I’ve experienced... if you don’t dig the charging handle it’ll cost you $10 at worst... I’ve shot some Gucci ar-9 stuff and think these guys are finally on it... their lower is what’s actually the “belle of the ball” as they say, it’s awesome, though their BCG is something else too... better than most of the stuff we’ve all been playing with imho.

Edited by ck1
2 minutes ago, ck1 said:

Man, it’s probably GTG from what I’ve experienced... if you don’t dig the charging handle it’ll cost you $10 at worst... I’ve shot some Gucci ar-9 stuff and think these guys are finally on it...

typing in CC Now, im shorter (5'5) so im gonna love the handle. I was just worried like how is it so low, am i missing something since i plan for PCC at some point

Think they’re just not a known quantity yet? They’re definitely (from what I can see) making the 9mm lowers and uppers for PWS which costs double, and dude designed the  Wilson Combat AR-9 whitch costs triple easily and isn’t as advanced... FM is making all kinds of s#!t for Brownells from what I’ve experienced it’s a solid bet.

2 minutes ago, ck1 said:

Think they’re just not a known quantity yet? They’re definitely (from what I can see) making the 9mm lowers and uppers for PWS which costs double, and dude designed the  Wilson Combat AR-9 whitch costs triple easily and isn’t as advanced... FM is making all kinds of s#!t for Brownells from what I’ve experienced it’s a solid bet.

yup. I was more like comparing SKUs, is the builder kit the same upper as just his PCC designed upper

3JR-URC-FMKIT1-FM-16-PRBC --> SKU for builder set

3JR-URC-FM9M-FM9-16UR-MB --> SKU for upper

I’d just shoot fm-products an email, they’re on it.

I'm running their upper and lower AND their recommended 9mm buffer set-up: .308 spring + their 6.5oz buffer... runs like clockwork w/factory bargain FMJ like AE, Magtech, Blazer Brass, S&B, etc hear me now believe me later lol

Think FM is on it.  Not to get too weird, but reminds me of like 10 years ago when I showed up at a match with a CZ Shadow that the euros where running and everybody thought I was a fool, and went from middle of the pack to winning until 6 months later when everyone talking s#!t had a Shadow lol...

Edited by ck1
12 minutes ago, ck1 said:

I’d just shoot fm-products an email, they’re on it.

I'm running their upper and lower AND their recommended 9mm buffer set-up: .308 spring + their 6.5oz buffer... runs like clockwork w/factory bargain FMJ like AE, Magtech, Blazer Brass, S&B, etc hear me now believe me later lol

Think FM is on it.  Not to get too weird, but reminds me of like 10 years ago when I showed up at a match with a CZ Shadow that the euros were running and everybody thought I was a fool, and went from middle of the pack to winning until 6 months later when everyone talking s#!t had a Shadow lol...

Lol I think they are on it too. Just one of those how is that set so cheap. is something diff I would rather know (optics planets descriptions arent the best). sent a note heard their CS is dope so ill wait to hear back

Hopefully they’ll get back quick, and hell yeah it’s better to get an email reply from the owner/designer rather than some plebe (looking at you Sig). Think it’s so cheap because the owner knows he’s on to something and is planning on us all beta testing what is soon to be commonplace: an AR-9 that just works.

I will definitely recommend ponying up for a Hiperfire trigger though, so many guys get so many problems with PCC triggers, and the Hiperfire s#!t just works w/o bs sets off everything even crap, shoot matches with Tula if you want lol!

Best of luck!

548AEA5F-21B5-4D77-A74D-708504A190F5.jpeg

Edited by ck1
On 7/20/2019 at 10:12 PM, ck1 said:

Hopefully they’ll get back quick, and hell yeah it’s better to get an email reply from the owner/designer rather than some plebe (looking at you Sig). Think it’s so cheap because the owner knows he’s on to something and is planning on us all beta testing what is soon to be commonplace: an AR-9 that just works.

I will definitely recommend ponying up for a Hiperfire trigger though, so many guys get so many problems with PCC triggers, and the Hiperfire s#!t just works w/o bs sets off everything even crap, shoot matches with Tula if you want lol!

Best of luck!

548AEA5F-21B5-4D77-A74D-708504A190F5.jpeg

Just out of curiosity, what muzzle device is on that?

14 minutes ago, Matt1911 said:

Looks like a strike industries. 

Yep. It’s a Strike Industries Oppressor over their Mini King 9mm Comp. 

While not apples to apples, the Foxtrot Mike comp/brake maybe functions 10% better honestly as a pure comp/brake compared to the Mini King Comp... But I already had the the Oppressor which I also use on my 5.56 AR and wanted to have the option to use it on the 9mm, and while attaching it is a penalty of 9oz at the worst part of the gun, it actually does what it’s supposed to do and acts as a blast/concussion forwarding device while still keeping most if not all of the comp/brake characteristics intact while quieting the gun... On the 5.56 it’s SO much less obnoxious to shoot indoors, on the 16” 9mm it has the same effect except it’s kind of amazing in that the 9mm gun sounds pretty much suppressed!

I haven’t tried it yet, and I plan to, but I’d bet the set-up with subsonic 9mm ammo will more or less equal an honest to goodness suppressed 9mm shooting supersonic stuff as far as sound... it works for the 9 year old indoors that’s for sure lol!

Another vote for Foxtrot Mike's here. I bought one of their build kits (sadly discontinued) on black Friday of last year and stuffed a CMMG Guard bolt & 8" barrel in it, so I had a good look at everything close up while putting it together, then tearing it apart to get the fitment right.

I didn't know what to expect when I ordered it but for $199, what the hell right? When I was at the local shop getting it transferred I started digging through the parts. I was expecting some machine marks and horrible purple anodizing. At that time I had only seen grainy B&W photos.

That's not what showed up. Nice deep dark black anodizing, nitride coating on the parts kit was all good, could not find a single flaw in the finish. I got it home where my previously ordered CMMG barrel & bolt were already waiting (another black Friday score at $299). Everything fit together like a glove. Tension screw to take up any play but even without receivers fit together tightly. 

I've been running it for about 9 months now. I've never enjoyed any firearm as much as I do this thing. It's not a side charging model but I'm not sure I would like that on an 8.5" handguard. Too busy, not enough real estate. I put a PWS buffer tube & comp on it, LaRue trigger, SBA3 brace and scored a Vortex SPARC on Ebay for $85. A little over half the cost of a top-tier Banshee and that's with the optic and a set of BUIS. 

Great quality products and excellent customer service! I think the low price scares people away but compare their side by side to a PWS PCC and see if you notice any similarities. Both built in Boise.. Both companies worked together on the Brownells BRN-180..