Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best Factory PCC for 12 Year Old

My wife and I both shoot 3 gun.  My son wants to shoot 3 gun but he is an 84 pound 12 year old.  We thought we could get him a PCC to shoot for a year or two until he gets bigger and can manage a 12 gauge without getting beat up.  I can build an AR no problem but really don't want to build a PCC.  I would rather buy one, foolish maybe, I don't know?  I would love to get a JP, but again it's for a 12 year old to use for a couple of years.

Here would be what I am looking for:

Less than $1000, runs like a Glock, has the capability to change the trigger or a good trigger from the factory, full length forend or capability to change.  I know Sig makes one or two, Ruger has one.  Also I just won a Hyperfire Competition Hypertouch, will this work in a PCC?

Any other suggestions are appreciated!  

I'd take a look at the Ruger PCCs.  Buy a stock one, let him shoot it for awhile, if he likes it, keep it.  If he doesn't, then sell it.  You could probably get a good percentage of the purchase price if it hasn't been abused in the meantime.

1 hour ago, 12glocks said:

My wife and I both shoot 3 gun.  My son wants to shoot 3 gun but he is an 84 pound 12 year old.  We thought we could get him a PCC to shoot for a year or two until he gets bigger and can manage a 12 gauge without getting beat up.  I can build an AR no problem but really don't want to build a PCC.  I would rather buy one, foolish maybe, I don't know?  I would love to get a JP, but again it's for a 12 year old to use for a couple of years.

Here would be what I am looking for:

Less than $1000, runs like a Glock, has the capability to change the trigger or a good trigger from the factory, full length forend or capability to change.  I know Sig makes one or two, Ruger has one.  Also I just won a Hyperfire Competition Hypertouch, will this work in a PCC?

Any other suggestions are appreciated!  

Get the JP. It will last him as long as he wants to shoot. You and the whole family can run the same gun at matches to help justify, call it buying 1 PCC for 2-3 people. 

You do not want to get something that will malfunction. That will kill the fun for him and for you. Prioritize reliability over everything. That road leads to JP. 

1 hour ago, Steve RA said:

I'd take a look at the Ruger PCCs.  Buy a stock one, let him shoot it for awhile, if he likes it, keep it.  If he doesn't, then sell it.  You could probably get a good percentage of the purchase price if it hasn't been abused in the meantime.

+1. The Ruger PC works well out of the box and does accept Glock mags. I use a stock gun with an RMR sight and made A Class in Steel Challenge. The reason I selected the Ruger PC was because, other than 1.5 pounds of extra weight, it was almost identical to my Ruger Take Down Lite RFRO (A Class) gun. Shooting one is like shooting the other. That might be a thought if, as he grows, he wants to get into Steel Challenge and shoot a .22.

Foxtrot Mike also makes some great pccs, their forward side charger is pretty great, you don't have to break your grip to manipulate the action. You can find them complete with their lower but if you want to use a different lower their complete uppers are pretty well priced and frequently on sale at Brownells and Primary Arms. Their customer service is great too.

5 hours ago, Darqusoull13 said:

Get the JP. It will last him as long as he wants to shoot. You and the whole family can run the same gun at matches to help justify, call it buying 1 PCC for 2-3 people. 

You do not want to get something that will malfunction. That will kill the fun for him and for you. Prioritize reliability over everything. That road leads to JP. 

Too heavy for a 84 pounder.

If you want it to run out of the box my vote is JP. I came from the AR Platform to the Sig MPX and still question my choice of changing. The MPX by far is a softer felt recoil but i’ve had the typical MPX extraction and feeding issues. I think with the MPX they’re hit or miss on reliability. Buy the JP and forget about it imo....

21 hours ago, turbopower18 said:

If you want it to run out of the box my vote is JP. I came from the AR Platform to the Sig MPX and still question my choice of changing. The MPX by far is a softer felt recoil but i’ve had the typical MPX extraction and feeding issues. I think with the MPX they’re hit or miss on reliability. Buy the JP and forget about it imo....

Let me know if you want any help or a nudge to change over. I might be able to get you set up with a pretty soft shooting JP 😇

On 7/14/2019 at 7:29 PM, Matt1911 said:

Qc10 lower, your Hyperfire trigger, lpk and buttstock of choice, Taccom ULW complete upper with their 3 stage buffer system. 

Done. You're welcome. 

This...I run same but am using a PSA lower.

Hello: One thing to consider for a light young shooter is weight. They can handle the recoil but the weight is what gives them problems. For my two boys I made lightweight rifles for them to shoot with. They could not keep the rifle on target with a front heavy rifle. Go with a light weight upper and adjust the buffer setup for your loads. I think a AR9 setup would be your best choice and yes I have owned both the MPX(actually 3) and still have 3 AR9's. QC-10 lowers are the best to use since the magwell angle is correct and not sloppy. Thanks, Eric

No experience but read about this today;   Looks cool too !

https://www.ssusa.org/articles/2019/7/14/new-pistol-caliber-carbines-from-psa-lead-star-arms/

The Lead Star is a very lightweight carbine, tipping the scale at only six pounds.   The stock is fixed in place, and the Lead Star charging handle rides in place on the left side of this carbine. The blue pistol grip, like the entire gun, is skeletonized, and the receiver is drastically opened up to lighten the carbine. The aluminum handguard shields the barrel of the gun and is covered by a black and blue carbon-fiber wrap. The compensator is also blue. The magazine release is large and allows for easy release with the trigger finger. The safety is ambidextrous and somewhat larger than on the PSA Custom, making the size of this safety just right.

psa-pcc-fs-5.jpg