Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

MPX competition Factory Timney not the same as aftermarket MPX timney?

I am about to install a Hyper touch 24 3gun in my factory MPX competition model to replace the Timney trigger that breaks at about 4 and 1/2 lb. Today I got to handle a competitor's MPX that he purchased a Tmney  aftermarket to put in his Gen 2. It is significantly better, much lighter very crisp. The housing in my factory MPX timney is black anodized and it has a red hammer spring. The aftermarket that he purchased is gold anodized housing and Silver Spring. Does anyone know what the low-down maybe with the differences of the two?

Ok, fwiw after some looking into it the black housing is the model 683 commisioned by Sig to Timney for the MPX. It is set at 4.5 lbs and has better long term hammer reset reliability over the model 681 gold housing which is set at 3lbs.

I emailed Timney about that exact question. They said the Gold trigger 681 will NOT hold up.  The 683 is made for the MPX and will run.  So I put the Hyperfine Eclipse 3000 rounds ago and haven't looked back.

Yes that is what I learned also however I have seen many competitors with the gold 681 that have been using it for thousands of rounds. Since the bolt comes back so fast and puts so much quick Force onto the hammer eith the MPX it is a challenge for a typical AR trigger to hold up. I do believe however with some of the mild loads ,especially 147 grains at about 135 PF, the bolt velocity is substantially less then with 115 and 124 so that may lend itself to longer hammer/sear life.

The Timney 681 will hold hold up on an MPX because of the bridge that was installed on it just like the current stock MPX trigger and the 683. It was built for the MPX before the MPX PCC Competition model came out.

I still have one as spare in case my Hiperfire eclipse goes bad.

Timney 681 MPX trigger

l_883000112_2.jpg

p_883000111_5..jpg

Edited by George16
5 hours ago, Bunsen said:

The Timney 681 for the MPX and I have had not issues with mine. No idea exact count but probably pushing 10K. all with factory 124s.

Good to hear. I put one in place of the factory black housing 683. The 681 is breaking at a consistent 3lbs3oz with digital guage measured at the trigger bottom tip. I did use the factory plate that comes with the 683 for the set screws to push on. I would consider trying a slightly lighter hammer spring if I can find one (JP Yellow?) In hopes of getting 2.5lbs