Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
Falloutboy89

Hornady Lock-N-Load Bench Scale Question

I have a Hornady Lock-N-Load scale and have been using it for a couple of years now but I recently noticed something weird while using it...

I dump gunpowder into the metal powder pan while dialing my machine in but I get a different reading/amount if I have the plastic cover on. It weighs more if I take the cover off. Has anyone else noticed this?

Am I doing it wrong? Should I keep it off. I was startled to see the grains jump by .2 or .3 when I took it off.

I typically keep the cover on - it has a hole in the middle so I just dump the powder from a brass case down inside it to the pan. I feel like I'm less likely to make a mess with the cover plastic cover on as it would prevent powder from flying everywhere.

Thanks in advance.

The powder does fly all over the place without the cover.     :(

No reason to keep it off - just keep it on and measure powder charge with it on.

BUT, I cannot imagine it would affect your powder charge - I may be wrong, but don't see why it would.

I'm guessing that the .2 - .3 increases you're seeing are nothing more than random fluctuations from

charge to charge, or the hopper settling down after a change in powder volume.

BUT, you know what free advice is worth    :) 

Without the cover on you are measuring the air pressure as well as what is on the scale.

On 7/14/2019 at 5:29 AM, xrayfk05 said:

Without the cover on you are measuring the air pressure as well as what is on the scale.

I vaguely remember reading that. Probably when I got my scale. I'll look back at the manual to confirm. Thanks for the tip. I'll keep the the cover on moving forward.

Any fan or ventilation is the room? The cover is to let you get a good reading without the effects of air moving over the pan. Use the shield at all times, including setting zero and calibration.