Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

38 SC on 1050, issues

On 8/6/2019 at 11:35 AM, IVC said:

I'll have to experiment with this - Dillon rep said not to use unsupported swaging (he obviously said it had to be a Dillon die, but I've now tinkered with MA swage backup without any flaring). I don't care for swaging for 38 SC, as many pointed out, it's just that I like to use it to detect failed deprimes. 

My current thinking is to keep swager intentionally adjusted lower so that it's not enough to exert too much pressure on the shellplate, but enough to detect a spent primer. With a setup like that, I can use any number of expanders in station #3 and not worry about damaging the shellplate. Interesting. 

I do not use the swag feature when loading 38 super. It is backed off as you sugested to just touch the primer pocket to support the case as it is expanded. It also makes it simple to detect any problems with ringers or primers that pulled back in.

UPDATE (got back from vacation)

After backing off the swager, setting up Lyman Neck Expander "M" die on station 3, adding EGA primer backer die (not really necessary, but keeps the shell plate in place), using the correct shell plate (Dillon documentation for caliber conversion specified "Shell plate #3," while there is a dedicated 38SC shell plate which fits much better) and spraying some One Shot lube on the new cases, the press now seems to run much, much smoother. There is barely a pop by MBF funnel (and, I will back it up further since it's not needed anymore) and the pop on the crimp station is completely under control, where it is perceptible, but doesn't feel like forcing the press. 

It's a pleasure when so many "moving parts" get sorted out and the press starts performing the way it should. Thank you to everyone who chimed in.