Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
Hunter1998

MOS or Milled slide

14 hours ago, tbarker13 said:

Are the MOS plates aluminum? That could make a difference.

No, they are steel, but they aren't very thick so there's not a lot of thread engagement. The threaded holes in a milled slide are deeper, and when done right the optic is secured by the milled pocket and the screws only keep it from coming out vertically, rather than taking up the shear loads. 

Whether the MOS system is "good enough" is debatable and probably depends on the application, but I think there's no question that a milled slide is more secure, when it's done right. I base that on my career in durability testing as well as being a machinist, and putting my own milled/RMR Glocks through a lot of abuse in the dojo, training classes, and practice. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Yondering said:

No, they are steel, but they aren't very thick so there's not a lot of thread engagement. The threaded holes in a milled slide are deeper, and when done right the optic is secured by the milled pocket and the screws only keep it from coming out vertically, rather than taking up the shear loads. 

Whether the MOS system is "good enough" is debatable and probably depends on the application, but I think there's no question that a milled slide is more secure, when it's done right. I base that on my career in durability testing as well as being a machinist, and putting my own milled/RMR Glocks through a lot of abuse in the dojo, training classes, and practice. 

I don't doubt it, based on my own experience of overtightening screws in an aluminum plate on my CZ. Wasn't paying close enough attention and managed to strip the screw holes. Found out the hard way when the optic flew off the gun during a stage run.

Edited by tbarker13

Ooh, that's a bummer! 

I picked up a Canik TP9SFx a few months ago; that one has aluminum mounting plates as well, but they're fairly thick and have steel thread inserts. I haven't mounted an optic on that one but the plate design looks better for screw retention than the MOS system. Those inserts (basically a Helicoil) may be a solution for your CZ plate? 

When I was at my annual GSSF match this summer, I overheard the armorer tell someone the number one issue with mounting optics to the MOS is *over-tightening* the mounting screws.

On 8/25/2019 at 12:55 PM, 11MM said:

Sheepdog,

Honest question, how does milling keep the threads from stripping?

If your machinist is good, the optic is press-fit into the slide. There is no gap at all. My PPQ has a .001” interference fit.

As the gun recoils the screws/dowels with a plate type setup are the only things holding the optic into place.

With a milled slide it’s more like an iron sight pressed into it’s dovetail.

Anecdotally, optics have been said to last longer with a properly milled slide. I have 5-6,000+ on a DPP, which is well above where many of them have failed

Yeah, but what about all the guys that say it sits lower in the slide... what, like a  1/4 inch.. LOL..

6 minutes ago, bigtimelarry said:

Yeah, but what about all the guys that say it sits lower in the slide... what, like a  1/4 inch.. LOL..

What about it? That’s not the only reason (or even the most important) to do a milled slide but it is one advantage.

12 hours ago, Yondering said:

What about it? That’s not the only reason (or even the most important) to do a milled slide but it is one advantage.

Exactly. Might not be a huge difference. But there is a difference.

24 minutes ago, tbarker13 said:

Exactly. Might not be a huge difference. But there is a difference.

Is that an advantage?  I doubt it. 

2 hours ago, B_RAD said:

Is that an advantage?  I doubt it. 

At some point, being closer to the slide is an advantage.  I don't know what that point is. On my G19, with co-witnessed sights, I think it makes a difference.

Milled is better. Less wear on the optic, better presentation, more natural sight alignment or whatever you want to call it. 

There aren’t 100 dots out there to be switching around all the time. Pick one you like and get the slide milled. 

2 minutes ago, Honeybooboo said:

Milled is better. Less wear on the optic, better presentation, more natural sight alignment or whatever you want to call it. 

There aren’t 100 dots out there to be switching around all the time. Pick one you like and get the slide milled. 

What am I supposed to do when a cool new dot comes out? 

7 minutes ago, tdp88 said:

That's an excuse to buy another slide - or gun.

7 minutes ago, tdp88 said:

Sell the old assembly and buy a new one. Clearly the new gear is going to increase gains far more than any amount of practice with outdated gear. Milled is a more solid mounting system and way more importantly aesthetically pleasing to me. You want to look good when you're shooting, right? 

3 minutes ago, Darqusoull13 said:

You want to look good when you're shooting, right? 

Wishful dreaming.