Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock 34 for open

Jonesjohnm

I had a Glock 35 open gun and felt the major power factor was uncomfortable.  When I downloaded to minor power factor, it was fine. Turning your 34 into an open gun won’t be difficult, but if you shoot minor in open, you’ll be at a huge scoring disadvantage. 

I run a G17 open gun.

Just my opinion but I think a G34 as an open gun might be a little unwieldy.

I run a combination of Carver and SJC parts on a Glock factory frame with a Lonewolf slide and barrel. I use the ZEV complete trigger package. Put it together myself.

I’m under no illusion that’s its. 2011, but it runs well and I enjoy. My

Less expensive as well. I wanted to see if I enjoyed before dumping a bunch of cash.

I’ll try to get you some pics if I have a chance tonight.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I did it with a gen 4 34. Sjc frame mount. Lone wolf barrel with carver 3 port. Iirc it had a 9 or 10 lb spring (this was about 4 years ago) to cycle minor ammo. It ran major ok but had to ream the barrel out a little. Really felt the major ammo through the frame. Also the recoil would make the mag drop for some odd reason at least 2 times per match. But when it was in minor configuration it was a blast to shoot. When I figured out I wanted to shoot open I broke it down and sold it and got a czechmate and then finally a 2011 Limcat 

Sorry. Forgot to mention I am shooting major.

124 JHP with 7.9.-8.0 grs of Silhouette.

I did open the throat of the barrel with a reamer to allow a little longer COAL.

I think I have a 14lb ISMI captured recoil spring in there now.

Runs real good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For what it will cost you to convert to a good Open gun, add a little more and buy a used 2011 Open gun.  Everyone I know starting with a poly gun for Open eventually decided it was a waste of money.  All but one has since switched.  The last holdout changed his tune when he shot my custom 2011.

[emoji58][emoji58][emoji58][emoji58][emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787]79209de9bf45f5466bd1ab3f98b726fe.jpg 

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

I assume this is directed at me?

I did is misspeak if that’s what it’s in reference too. My load is 6.9-7.0 of Silhouette.

Maybe a better response would have been “are you sure?” Or “is that a typo?”

Cause it was.

For what it will cost you to convert to a good Open gun, add a little more and buy a used 2011 Open gun.  Everyone I know starting with a poly gun for Open eventually decided it was a waste of money.  All but one has since switched.  The last holdout changed his tune when he shot my custom 2011.

I agree with this as well. At the time I built it I had some of the parts and it wasn’t going to cost me that much.

I probably wouldn’t do it again. I told myself I’m not buying any more polymer pistols (then I bought two more).

Anyway 2011 or Czeckmate is probably the way to go.

I assume this is directed at me?

I did is misspeak if that’s what it’s in reference too. My load is 6.9-7.0 of Silhouette.

Maybe a better response would have been “are you sure?” Or “is that a typo?”

Cause it was.

uhhhh no. The whole Glock open major gun concept is the craziness this is directed at.

Make sure to take an double shot of testosterone today [emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787]

uhhhh no. The whole Glock open major gun concept is the craziness this is directed at.

Make sure to take an double shot of testosterone today [emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787]

Kewl. Thanks for your constructive input.

I shot a Carver built Glock 17 open gun  with major PF for several years and have run 2 open Glock 34's in 3-gun & USPSA. Minor in 3-gun, major in USPSA.

The 17 is faster & easier to shoot. 34 is too long once you get the comp on. 17 seems being more compact to keep the dot down, where the longer barrel 34 moves more. My shooting buddy has run a 34 major for several years. I believe he has cracked 3-slides right at the ejection port which Glock replaced.

Both 17 & 34 work for major but are not ideal. Metal guns work much better. 

gerritm

On 7/13/2019 at 11:43 AM, iflyskyhigh said:

Kewl. Thanks for your constructive input.

I would like to second his meme post which can be summed up as “it’s a horrible idea! just buy a used 2011 Open for roughly the same final sum.”

Open + light plastic gun = constant maintenance and inferior performance.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

I shot a Carver built Glock 17 open gun  with major PF for several years and have run 2 open Glock 34's in 3-gun & USPSA. Minor in 3-gun, major in USPSA.

The 17 is faster & easier to shoot. 34 is too long once you get the comp on. 17 seems being more compact to keep the dot down, where the longer barrel 34 moves more. My shooting buddy has run a 34 major for several years. I believe he has cracked 3-slides right at the ejection port which Glock replaced.

Both 17 & 34 work for major but are not ideal. Metal guns work much better. 

gerritm

Agreed. Constructive contribution to the discussion.

I would like to second his meme post which can be summed up as “it’s a horrible idea! just buy a used 2011 Open for roughly the same final sum.”

Open + light plastic gun = constant maintenance and inferior performance.

Little more constructive than the meme. Thanks for your input.

Now if you are going to run open minor, there is nothing wrong with the 34. I have one that I shoot 3-gun minor. Ported barrel by my LGS instead of a comp which I took off due to the length. Barrel has 3 ports, 1 slightly forward, center up, rear back. Have a slide mount Vortex Red Dot, Pyramid trigger, Dawson Ice magwell, extended mag release etc. Shoot right at 125 PF. Gun is flat & fast. Fairly inexpensive.

gerritm

On 7/13/2019 at 5:03 AM, zzt said:

This. Started the girlfriend out shooting open with a 17. Since she was brand new to pistols, I wanted to keep the gun she was using every weekend similar to the gun she was carrying during the week, a 19. She shot open minor for about 6 months. The gun was ok but no where near good enough to be competitive. Do yourself a favor and listen to the advice of everyone here. I didn’t and wound up spending at least $1500 assembling a terrible open gun that I sold at a big loss after buying a 2011... A 34 is a decent production gun, just shoot production. I’m trying to save you some money not be jerk btw.