Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Walther Steel Frame Q5 - First Impressions

dapribek

Just left a local gun range and was able to handle the new Walther Steel Frame Q5. After reading all the hype about this gun, I was ready to be disappointed with it. To my surprise, it looks and feels like one of the nicest factory pistols I’ve ever seen. It’s competitive right out of the box, no need to change sights, triggers or add grip tape, it’s great as is. Similar in weight to a CZ Shadow 2, the trigger is so much better that there is no comparison between the 2 pistols. It seems to be a natural pointer, and to be honest, if I didn’t have so much invested in my 2 Glock 34 Carry Optics pistols, I’d buy one in a heartbeat!

I just bought one yesterday at my LGS. I have a CZ Shadow 2 and PPQM2 5" (polymer). I was likewise thinking that the hype would not live up to expectations. As soon as I handled it I also felt that it was a natural pointer. I agree that no further changes really need to be made to it. I took it to an outdoor range and shot 50 rounds of 115 gr., 50 rounds of 124 gr. and 50 rounds of synthetic 150 gr. I really liked the way it pointed and handled. I shot some fast double-taps (target was about 11 yards) and all shots were in the A-zone (a few of the second shots were down about 4-5" but still in the A-zone--so I will have to acclimate/practice more with it). The trigger (5#) is quite good for a striker-fired gun out of the box. I have a holster coming for it and will take it to a match soon. I fired 25 rounds at a one-foot diameter steel plate at 25 yards at a constant pace (firing again when the front sight returned) and hit 24 out of 25 (one miss went a few inches high and was because I got impatient toward the end of the sequence). I like the sights. My "gut instinct" so far is that I like the way it handles and that I need to get my ass in gear and start practicing with it. All my PPQM2 mags (15 and 17-rounders) work perfectly with it.

I just got on also, and I have been shooting CZs, Czechmate, Shadow2 and Accu-shadow. Love all of them but the Walther was really great right out of the box. Points really well and I love not having to deal with the safety! JD

• 2 weeks later...

I just bought a used Q5 SF tonight on gunbroker.  Got it for a good price along with some extras.  I'm excited to see how it compares to my tuned Shadow 2.  I'll update later with my impressions.

On 7/12/2019 at 12:55 PM, dapribek said:

Just left a local gun range and was able to handle the new Walther Steel Frame Q5. After reading all the hype about this gun, I was ready to be disappointed with it. To my surprise, it looks and feels like one of the nicest factory pistols I’ve ever seen. It’s competitive right out of the box, no need to change sights, triggers or add grip tape, it’s great as is. Similar in weight to a CZ Shadow 2, the trigger is so much better that there is no comparison between the 2 pistols. It seems to be a natural pointer, and to be honest, if I didn’t have so much invested in my 2 Glock 34 Carry Optics pistols, I’d buy one in a heartbeat!

I've dry fired a Shadow 2 and the single action was really good. Are you saying the Q5 SF trigger is better? 

Anyone else have any problems with a hot spot under the beavertail of the Q5 SF?  Seems to cause quite a beating to my thumb knuckle.  I guess there isn't any real way to resolve this issue short of changing my grip.

On 7/28/2019 at 11:22 PM, abigger04 said:

Anyone else have any problems with a hot spot under the beavertail of the Q5 SF?  Seems to cause quite a beating to my thumb knuckle.  I guess there isn't any real way to resolve this issue short of changing my grip.

Seems to hit some folks wrong. It has never once bothered me but a friend picked it up and instantly noticed it cutting into him on that left side of the beavertail. I've read a few people noting they've sanded down that edge.

That’s is unfortunate. I’ve never experienced that with any other pistol. It’s has actually become quite painful. Almost like a burn with a bruise underneath. 

I’ll have to figure out how to adjust my grip and maybe that will help. The Q5 SF is otherwise a fantastic platform.