Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is it worth buying a L10 gun?

admcd

I've been shooting USPSA for a couple years now with a break in the middle of the 2017 season to help my wife after our daughter was born. I'm getting better in my divisions bit by bit (my most recent match not withstanding) and am on the verge of crawling out of D into C.  I shoot production and single stack. 

I've been recently enamored with the idea of switching to L10 for Major PF but having a couple extra bullets to help space out my reloads.  Specifically, behind the Iron Curtain in Massachusetts, I was thinking about grabbing an M&P45 as they're inexpensive, easy to find and with a few modifications quality guns.  The magazines are cheap and I already reload for .45ACP.

At the same time, I'm wondering if it's better to just save for another year or two and keep shooting what I already have and take the plunge on a true Limited gun from Atlas or one of the other higher end shops.  There's obviously extra cost there aside from the gun (New dies, bullets, powder, etc) but I'm wondering if that's the better course in the long run.

Edited by admcd

Very few people shoot Limited 10. Most of those who do are in the states with 10 round capacity limit, but if you're attending a match in that state you could shoot Limited without being at a disadvantage, as everyone will have at most 10 rounds per magazine.

You can easily win a local match in L10 because you're the only L10 shooter there, but I'm not sure if this is something you want.

I would continue shooting Production at least until you get to B class. Ammo is cheaper and skills are transferrable if you decide to switch divisions later on.

I've been shooting USPSA for a couple years now with a break in the middle of the 2017 season to help my wife after our daughter was born. I'm getting better in my divisions bit by bit (my most recent match not withstanding) and am on the verge of crawling out of D into C.  I shoot production and single stack. 

I've been recently enamored with the idea of switching to L10 for Major PF but having a couple extra bullets to help space out my reloads.  Specifically, behind the Iron Curtain in Massachusetts, I was thinking about grabbing an M&P45 as they're inexpensive, easy to find and with a few modifications quality guns.  The magazines are cheap and I already reload for .45ACP.

At the same time, I'm wondering if it's better to just save for another year or two and keep shooting what I already have and take the plunge on a true Limited gun from Atlas or one of the other higher end shops.  There's obviously extra cost there aside from the gun (New dies, bullets, powder, etc) but I'm wondering if that's the better course in the long run.
I like your latter statement about saving up and buying a full custom 2011 eventually. L10 has the lowest participation across the nation except in restricted states. Next year's classic nationals for L10/Revolver is only 1 day lol.

Keep shooting production and get better. Than make a decision at the end of the year about where you wanna compete. Don't look past carry optics either as it's the fastest growing division right now. Nationals will be interesting this year with the carry optics shooters going up against us limited division shooters.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Thanks for the quick replies!

3 hours ago, lstange said:

Very few people shoot Limited 10. Most of those who do are in the states with 10 round capacity limit, but if you're attending a match in that state you could shoot Limited without being at a disadvantage, as everyone will have at most 10 rounds per magazine.

You can easily win a local match in L10 because you're the only L10 shooter there, but I'm not sure if this is something you want.

I would continue shooting Production at least until you get to B class. Ammo is cheaper and skills are transferrable if you decide to switch divisions later on.

We're behind the iron curtain here - "preban" mags are pretty expensive which is one reason I was thinking L10 would be a step towards something new without breaking the bank.

At the local match I frequent, there are normally about as many L10 shooters as Single Stack so I don't think I'd be alone in competition.

2 hours ago, Racinready300ex said:

Why not just buy 10 round mags for your 1911 and use the same gun you use in single stack.

If it were me I'd shoot SS over L10 any day. In fact my SS gun is a 40 so I can load 10 in my mags anyway, yet I've never shot L10

This is actually a really interesting thought.  I should look into this more.  Thanks for the suggestion!

1 hour ago, Rnlinebacker said:

I like your latter statement about saving up and buying a full custom 2011 eventually. L10 has the lowest participation across the nation except in restricted states. Next year's classic nationals for L10/Revolver is only 1 day lol.

Keep shooting production and get better. Than make a decision at the end of the year about where you wanna compete. Don't look past carry optics either as it's the fastest growing division right now. Nationals will be interesting this year with the carry optics shooters going up against us limited division shooters.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Carry Optics is extremely interesting to me but presents some issues because of Massachusetts.   As I said above, behind the iron curtain in the PRM "standard" capacity mags are $$$.  20+ year old glock mags are around twice the price of a new MagPul 17 rounder.Since CO isn't capped at 10 rounders anymore, I'd be at a pretty big disadvantage.   I should look into borrowing a rig from someone and shooting it at a couple matches this winter.

Ironically, finding "legal" mags for 2011 style guns is easier.  Dunno why.

Edited by admcd

On 7/13/2019 at 4:29 PM, B21 said:

Based on where you live, unless there is no heat in production or SS, I'd just keep shooting production until you get to A class or higher.  

By "heat", do you mean competition? There's plenty in production. Less in single stack.

On ‎7‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 9:02 AM, Racinready300ex said:

Why not just buy 10 round mags for your 1911 and use the same gun you use in single stack.

If it were me I'd shoot SS over L10 any day. In fact my SS gun is a 40 so I can load 10 in my mags anyway, yet I've never shot L10

+1 This makes an incredible amount of practical commonsense. Why not just buy new mags for a gun that you already shoot in order to shoot it in a new division? Seems like a pretty logical, and economical, approach to me.

There is a 0% chance that I would buy a gun for the sole purpose of competing in L10.  The suggestions above are good ones as it relates to 10 round mags for the .45 you already own.  That being said, i'd probably stick with SS or prod.

Havent checked in awhile, but at one time SS 45's were exempt from the 140mm rule, so you could run the longer SS 45 10 round mags in limited. If thats still the case sounds like you already have an L10 gun.
Decent mag funnel and not much a 3k STI can do a 1k SS cant do in 10 round land.