Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

JP PCC maintenance questions

Getting my very first rifle ( JP GMR-15) ever to start shooting PCC, so I am utterly ignorant on these - forgive me if this is a dumb question.

Looking through the forum, it seems most people say just keep it clean,  but I want to be prepared, so are there tricks to make sure it runs well, and what extra parts or springs, or what ever should I keep in the bag so I can handle common issues if they come up in a match ? 

Thanks

I clean about every 500 rounds.  Running Titegroup, the gun gets very dirty.  Several mentions above about oiling.  This applies to the bolt.  I run wet.  @ 5000 rounds I replaced the firing pin but the old one looked good and I kept it for a spare.  Also replaced the extractor but it also looked good.  Recently replaced the "O-Rings" in the buffer.  They were shot.  

1 minute ago, Old3GNR said:

I clean about every 500 rounds.  Running Titegroup, the gun gets very dirty.  Several mentions above about oiling.  This applies to the bolt.  I run wet.  @ 5000 rounds I replaced the firing pin but the old one looked good and I kept it for a spare.  Also replaced the extractor but it also looked good.  Recently replaced the "O-Rings" in the buffer.  They were shot.  

I'm running 3.8 titegroup with 124 PD JHP cleaned at 300 rounds was dirty but still functioning. I've only put 600 rounds so far.

You should have an extra firing pin and spring, inspect the machine screw holding the silent captured spring together every time you clean to make sure it isnt backing out. Have an extra extractor,  make sure you remove the pin in the bolt retaining the extractor so you can remove it and clean it.

Before any bigger matches i swap to a dedicated match firing pin and spring i have and ensure the extractor is clean. Thats really about it. Fairly low maintenance well running machine especially compared to the mpx. I hated breaking that thing down into 20 to 25 pieces for cleaning.

Thank you ! I will get a few firing pins, and springs, and extractor. Is thee a kit with the O-rings ? I assume the best place to order  is the JP site ?

JP has o ring kit. If you buy short stroke kit they send it out with extra o rings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

3 hours ago, dtuns said:

How many rounds do you put trough it before cleaning?

i clean all my guns after every match.  every once in a while i'm lazy and go two matches.  and i do lube (oil) them up pretty generously.  any mags that hit the ground also get cleaned, though not too many hit the ground when shooting pcc...

11 hours ago, dtuns said:

Speaking from experience? 😆

Well, we ran 4 shooters in a 250 round steel match suppressed. That was on top of practice before and demo's after. So...yeah you really technically don't even so much need the oil. Some days I skip cleaning intentionally just to remind myself how nice it is to be able to go several thousands of rounds without even a doubt in my mind that the gun will run. 

I honestly just bring a backup gun. Not for me mind you but for folks running other guns that go down 😂. I'm dead serious when I say some people don't like how my gun is set up so I have a couple different rigs I loan out. 

Realistically, the O-rings are a wear part so you could bring them. Even if they break it would be easier to just dump out pieces and keep running then put on new ones at home. I'm sure people bring firing pins but the new design (~'17) hasn't broken yet. 

13 hours ago, dtuns said:

Speaking from experience? 😆

Yes, i have seen malfunctions at 1k rounds, scenario was no maintenance,  no oiling, and temperature cycling (freezing, not freezing,  etc...) resulting in feeding issues.  Outside that situation, ive made it well past 1k rounds without cleaning and malfunctions, i usually do oil before a match. I typically dont go much more than 500 rounds without cleaning :)

JP supplied me with non-migrating grease for my sear. 

I tend to used high quality/high tech (maybe over-priced) lube. 

No issues. NO malfunctions. 

My VV reloads go longer without cleaning. WW box cleaning more frequently. 

JP was once quoted on AR use that if you aren’t getting splashed it is under-lubed. 

I have a pre JP GMR-15 that I use a 125 grain powder coated cast bullet with Bullseye powder (i cast them coat them and shoot them) that gun with colt mags has always shot. It’s a JP that’s why I bought it. I would only clean it when I felt guilty never counted the rounds fired. Purchased a replacement firing pin and after 7,000 rounds I am still on the original. That PCC just runs and runs.