Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
Sign in to follow this  
Jcgatus

Gatoose's Pro-gress journey

So, I have been extra inspired lately to finally start my first range diary. A little background about myself; Im currently in the military and I am stationed in Las Vegas. I started practical shooting back in 2017. Because of the military, I have been deployed on and off, too much to get classified in a division. I started in limited, experiemented with open glocks (nightmare), then went into pcc. However, just recently, someone offered to trade my pcc with an old school STI open. It was too good to pass up. And now, I am tuning and getting to know my open gun.

3 months ago, I was stationed in South Korea for a year. I was not able to shoot but I was determined to get better somehow. I bought books on practical training, I worked on my conditioning, with a focus on grip strength. Fast forward to present, after shooting some PCC matches, I saw more fluidity in my motion. I shot some pistol during practice to see where my recoil management was and it was definitely a lot more improved. I also bought a dillon xl650 from all the money I was not shooting away. I got into reloading and was hooked. There was a sense of pride and ownership in the rounds I formulated. Now that I shoot open, it has resparked the creativity and challenge in 9mm major loads.

Fast forward to today, I shot 3 classifiers since being back in country. But, with the trade, that classification will have to wait as well. I was consistently placing around top 10ish with a pcc and will probably be dropping lower when I finally shoot open. Biggest thing i got out of pcc was speed and effecient movement. I hope it translates well into open. 

One of the books that have changed my training philosophies is Charlie Perez's Path to Focused Effort. It has revamped how I practice and dryfire. I used to repeat my draws and reloads in dryfire, but drawing and reloading only took up a fraction of a stage's time. I looked at match videos and practiced what I really needed work on. Entries, exits, running to next shooting spots, transitions, calling shots,  and my biggest weakness, shooting on the move. Im even struggling to not shoot a upl match this weekend and practice instead. 

Here is a compilation of my May and June matches with my pcc. 

For this weekend, I wanted to train and get some trigger time with my open gun. I was debating on going to the range and using all the target stands and shooting boxes I built. I also had steel targets I wanted to train on but these local ranges do not allow it. In the end, i decided to shoot a local UPL match. Now my logic was, Im going to treat these stages as an oppurtunity to work on my flaws and weaknesses. I shot a upl match to prep for USPSA.

My plan was to shoot on the move as much as I can, reload effeciently and pay attention to the dot. One thing I did notice about my movement was pcc helped me with my entries and exits. Getting the gun up and ready when entering positions helped my get my shot off more accurately. In the end, i was sent home early due to malfunctions I had to figure out. Long story short, my hammer would not fall and I had to mess with the sear spring. All in all, I am definitely digging open.

After messing with different loads, ive settled with 125 grains of sns coated round nose, and 7.2 grains of cfe. This reaches to 173 pf. 

I also had left over 115gr that I have been able to load to reach 168pf.

Lunchbreak Drill

Lunch break fire🔥

Working on some dot tracking and shot calling drills. I gave myself the head zone to shoot. Waited on the red dot to return from going up and down then back to center. This drill at 10 yards, 6 shots under 2 seconds is pretty challenging but totally valuable so far.

My road to open division has a lot obstacles but nothing that has made me turn away and dislike it. I like the journey and i love the process. Its become an obsession to find what works and what doesnt. 

It was training day today. I got to know my gun some more and trained up on irons. I have not shot irons since I got back but I saw some huge improvements. For the year I was off country, I trained up my grip strength because I was not able to shoot.

I noticed a drastice improvement in recoil management and dot tracking. I shot an m&p 9mm and used it to run the first few rounds of two drills; entry/exits and the Accelerator.

Bill drill after bill drill!

After changing out the spring and adding almost an entire grain to my load, I finally got the open gun tuned.

The main thing that worked for me was the recoil spring change to 7lbs from 9. Less forward dip. But I also credit the 8.2 grains of powder increase and the inward grip clamp I started implementing. The slide just rides back and fourth!

Went to a match to film exclusively! It was great to see different types of shooters.

As per the last video, I am now back to pcc. I was digging open up until all the malfunctions, ammo, etc started happening. I liked the challenge of making it work. But, I spent too much time fixing something other than shooting it. It all worked out though.

Someone offered to trade 2 guns for my open. Its was SPS Pantera and a custom built pcc. I liked the pcc but I also did not like the fact fhat it was not for me. I sold it to a buddy who eas just starting out. This left me enough money to finally get the Tron I have been eyeing on! One of the best purchases ever!

I will definitely be doing a review on it. Have not shot in a match but I have brought it to train. Besides the timney pcc trigger that came with it, everything else was perfect. I was getting trigger freeze as I tried to go faster. 

Still getting to know it. But I am so in love with this machinery

I took away so much from this session that I was blown away. He broke my fundamentals down from my draw to my stance. And I thought I knew a lot until he showed me where I was lacking..but he showed me how I can get there by observing the analytics.

I never trained and practiced by reading data, I always went off how I felt. "That draw felt slow. The transitions was slow..." But your time says otherwise. And this is evident when you watch your timer.

One of the highlights was one drill we did. We were trying to get my draw and 1shot under a second. With both eyes open, I would clock in a 1.2 ish. It was pretty frustrating. Fast forward after Nick's instruction. I shot a .97 first shot into upper body a zone...... With eyes closed. Mind blown.

Overall, I highly recommend Nick as he taylors the session towards your weaknesses. I sent him videos of some matches prior to the course and he goes from there. Now time to do the homework!

Hoping to work with Max soon!

CYMERA_20190825_144813.jpg

I havent posted here in a while! Been busy shooting for sure. Ive also been busy writing in my real range journal. Since training with Nick, I have been more analytical of my progress and training. I started looking at nunmber because numbers dont lie.

In the past 6 months since moving to Las Vegas, I have seen tremendous progress. Probably not as fast as I would like, but there were many factors that got in the way. Military for sure.

Once I got back Arizona, I shot a match in Mesquite Az, the Tropang annual Presidents Cup. That was a nightmare. My colt mags ran fine in training then they started double feeding every stage! I just went through the stages annoyed towards the end.

I got back and i instantly purchased a New Frontier Armory glock lower. Those guys are awesome. Speaking of which, they are releasing 2 builds at 2 different prices. One budget and one high end build. But the prices are unbelievable!  

Anyway, my pcc is now a limcat NFA hybrid. It ran flawless. It really helped me in my last match. I finally took 1st in my division and class, and 2nd overall. Everything ran great, even with 4 hours of sleep.

Thats where I am now. Get better, get faster. Next priority on the list is the hiperfire swap. My timney pcc trigger is straight trash. So much trigger freeze!