Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Remington r1 1911 .40

MNshooter

Any reviews on the .40 single stack (96717)? Listed for about $880 and a $75 rebate. Not a bad deal for a .40 SS with front serrations and checkered grip, BUT it is a Remington ....

Any reviews on reliability? Better to pay 2x for the Dan Wesson .40?

d4350602a4ee54ee827f56357f4ca606.jpg

Any reviews on the .40 single stack (96717)? Listed for about $880 and a $75 rebate. Not a bad deal for a .40 SS with front serrations and checkered grip, BUT it is a Remington ....

Any reviews on reliability? Better to pay 2x for the Dan Wesson .40?
d4350602a4ee54ee827f56357f4ca606.jpg
my buddy bought the double stack R1 and it is a high quality barrel fitting as well as slide to frame. the gun groups 2-2.5 inch at 25 yards. we're both very surprised with the quality but it was a good purchase. hopefully you can find one in stock

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

I think Sig stopped production of their 40 cal 1911 MAXM recently (still making the 9 and 45), but you can still find them for about $1400, which is a little less than the $1600 you mentioned for the DW. 

I shot a DW in 9 once and really liked it and would have been interested if DW made one in 40 (they didn't at the time), but went full into the Sig 1911 MAXM and bought two so I have matching primary and backup competition Single Stack pistols.  

Just another option...

When i switched to .40 call for single stack i bought 2 of these. I changed the guts and added a flat trigger, personal preference, And had some machine work to get it under 43 oz for USPSA. Have been great guns, Well worth the price and might pick up a third if I can find one for with a rebate.

• 9 months later...

Figured it is worth reviving this old thread to mention that there are great deals available on this gun right now.  I just picked up a new one for $549 on GB from a place called Tanner's Sports.  It will make a nice backup to my backup!  

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/26/2020 at 10:44 AM, Carmoney said:

Figured it is worth reviving this old thread to mention that there are great deals available on this gun right now.  I just picked up a new one for $549 on GB from a place called Tanner's Sports.  It will make a nice backup to my backup!  

I couldn’t resist, I bought one.

I shot mine this past week and was pleasantly surprised at how well everything worked and how well it shot.  I had a few premature lockbacks at first (probably due to my long-loaded Limited gun ammo), but about 5-6 file strokes on the slide stop took that away completely.  My gun seems quite accurate--I was dinging my plate easily at 35 yards.  Trigger is not half bad!  I have the Series 80 delete kit on the way from Brownells, and will probably just tune the sear spring a bit when I have the gun apart.  Otherwise, the only thing this needs is a magwell and it's ready to go.   

This is a really nice gun for the money.  In fact, I'll just say this is a really nice gun, period.    

I do agree with Mike4045 that the fitting of the beavertail is crap.  But, to be honest, it's a cosmetic thing--you really can't feel it when you're handling the gun.  I thought about re-contouring mine, but I really don't want to cut through that nice black finish.  I'm just going to leave it.    

• 2 weeks later...

I just received mine, pulled it out of the box and shot some of my reloads.  It functioned perfectly and will need the sights adjusted but I ran out of ammo.  I am impressed.  Nice black finish as mentioned already.  Grips are nice.

Just got mine today.  Gun looks great except for beaver tail grip safety which was not blended at all and of course the trigger sucks.  Checkering looks great on front strap, not real sure about the checkering at the memory groove on the grip safety.  Feels weird.  Front and rear serrations look good and I am pleased with the sights.  Gun is typically way over sprung in both the recoil spring and mainspring.  I dont have a way to test actual weight if either spring but it is a lot more than anything I own.  Shot 400 rds of assorted factory and reloads.  Gun ran great with both hollow points and flat nose.  Gun was as accurate as I could be with a heavy trigger.  Did have to adjust sights considerably to the right but things look somewhat centered up now.  Gun shoots to tip of front sight at 25 yds with rear sight screwed all the way down. Lucked up there. No problems with feeding or ejecting.   Only used Wilson 47D .45 mags and they all locked to the rear and ejected as designed.  Won’t do any more shooting with it until I get the Series 80 trigger stuff gone and smooth out the beaver tail.  Something to do in these troubled times.  Gun has real potential though.  Too bad they didn’t take the extra time to blend the grip safety.   I am definitely not a gunsmith but I can break a gun better than anyone.  What could go wrong?  

• 5 weeks later...