Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Federal Syntech 130gr PCC loads... Deconstructed!

Hello PCC ammo reloaders. So it seems the 130 grain Federal Syntec PCC loads are very soft and mild recoiling. Being a reloader and curious I deconstructed one to do a little forensics and see if I could decipher what powder is being used. Powder is 3.9 grains and it is a smaller diameter,medium thickness wafer style. Color is predominantly dark gray with some black Wafers mixed in and very few beige color wafers as well. All appear to be same size overall. Reference for size seems to fall in between something such as Universal Clays and CFE pistol. Oal is 1.126. Bullet length is .642. Bullet weight is130.1gr. Missing part of the equation is knowing what powder. Sure would be nice to duplicate this with reloading. Anyone with any additional input would be great to hear from.

Can guarantee it’s not CFE Pistol, have tried that powder and very dirty and doesn’t burn as clean as the syntech ammo. The syntech powders burns so clean, don’t even need to clean cases to reload. 

47 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Factory ammo is usually loaded with a bulk canister powder specifically spec’d for that use which isn’t available to aftermarket reloaders.

Guarentee everything  from federal is canister and not available to  reloaders.. charge weight will also vary lot to lot as presser is the primary data point used for lot acceptance...

1 hour ago, Bwillis said:

The guys that own sns casting told me syntech ammo uses Alliant sport pistol. 

I don't disagree with the post above yours that it would be a proprietary powder Federal is using but worth looking into Alliant Sport Pistol. Would be interesting to see if load data supports 3.9gr ASP and a similar type of projectile ( ex. IBE Je Heads 135gr poly) at an approx. listed 1030 FPS. for the Syntech.                                                 Anyone have experience with Alliant Sport Pistol and 9 mm loadings?

9 minutes ago, vgdvc said:

I don't disagree with the post above yours that it would be a proprietary powder Federal is using but worth looking into Alliant Sport Pistol. Would be interesting to see if load data supports 3.9gr ASP and a similar type of projectile ( ex. IBE Je Heads 135gr poly) at an approx. listed 1030 FPS. for the Syntech.                                                 Anyone have experience with Alliant Sport Pistol and 9 mm loadings?

Call or email sns I’m sure they will share load data. When I met them at the sns 400 they were very adamant it was sport pistol. If it is or isn’t I have no idea just relaying what I was told. 

According to the Alliant load data on their website Sport Pistol is described to be clean burning and have burn characteristics that supports itself well with the use of polymer coated projectiles. Acme124gr rn NLG  with 3.9gr is listed at 1066fps. This is from pistol length barrel. Going to try to get my hands on some and see how it works with 135gr poly. If anybody interested is able to formulate a similar load please share results. I will do the same once I get a hold of some powder.

1 hour ago, vgdvc said:

..........Anyone have experience with Alliant Sport Pistol and 9 mm loadings?

There is a fair amount of data here on Enos already about Sport Pistol 9mm loads and quite a few of us use it.  No need to reinvent the wheel...

A few examples:

https://forums.brianenos.com/topic/258329-sport-pistol-powder/?tab=comments#comment-2782534

https://forums.brianenos.com/topic/252179-alliant-sport-pistol-load-data/?tab=comments#comment-2806314

https://forums.brianenos.com/topic/275648-sport-pistol-and-titegroup/?tab=comments#comment-3076770

5 minutes ago, BJB said:

Hey,thanks. Yes hard to improve upon the wheel it's been working good for a long time. Now to work up load development as it would pertain to a PCC regarding recoil sensation, function etc. to keep in spirit with the PCC forum 

I’ve been using Sport Pistol for about a year now and I love it. It’s exactly what everyone says about cleaner burning and it’s more accurate than Titegroup in my guns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
29 minutes ago, CHA-LEE said:

I heard it directly from someone who works at Federal that all of the Syntech ammo (9, 40 & 45) is loaded with Alliant Sprot Pistol powder.

Yes Alliant Sport Pistol Powder and the Catalyst Primers.

Sport Pistol was designed specifically for coated bullets and the ignition of the Catalyst Primer.

The Action Pistol loads ( 9mm- 130, 150 40sw - 205, 45acp - 220gr) powder charge and quality control standards are a little different than the other Syntech loads. The standard deviation on the fps is tighter, but it is the same powder being used.

That being said, there is a secondary powder that is similar on the burn rate chart that they use for the Syntech loads, but not on the Action Pistol.

7 hours ago, EarlKeese said:

I've been loading Gallant 135's/3.5 gr of sport pistol for a while now. Very happy with this load for PCC.

Nice! Thanks for sharing. Did you chrono them?

On 7/11/2019 at 10:41 AM, vgdvc said:

3.95gr of Alliant Sport Pistol pushes 125gr BlueBullet to 135 PF from 4.5" barrel, so this is in the ballpark. But Federal is known to use different propellants from week to week even in the same SKU.