Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Primer setting trouble!!! (650 XL)

Stjs45

1.)   Ok so below are the pictures of the primer sets after installing the reloading innovation spill stop pegs. In my opinion the wheel didn’t turn all the way and it pushed the primer partially, turning it partially. I also saw some primers that favored one side. Needless to say is took them off. 

They are great to arop the apillage but but I felt like they were pressing on the breaks when the round started to engage. 

2.)   My OAL is not as consistent as I would want it to be. I am currently loading 1.162. That’s just as close as I got it to 1.160 and figured it would make a darn difference.  BUT!  Every 4 or 5 round are coming out to 1.166 or 1.165. I am using range brass from Everglades ammo and doing zero trimming and anything for that matter. Is this something I need to address? I come from the precision rifle loading world where I trim, neck turn, uniform, anneal, etc.. thanx in advance! 

A080B894-FDA8-4EB3-B7BB-766D1E606970.jpeg

1442CEEF-7F07-45F0-8F7C-2DFA9F25AA52.jpeg

472BAE40-8C4F-4573-92CD-1D22B14A2BFA.png

• 2 weeks later...

How is the tension on the leaf spring that holds the case over the priming station? I find the tension is critical, if it's too tight or loose I have all sorts of priming issues (sideways/crushed primers).

Edited by thormx538

Make sure your primer seating steam is not protruding up, it should sit flush, it will cause those exact same issues,....Dillion is sending me a new primer seating stem after calling  them and going over the crush primer issues i was having ....

I have been running those spill stop pegs for over 20k rounds , they do not cause any of those issues for me ..

OAL differences are normal

Check that the shellplate is tight enough, that theres no wobble in the plate. I was having this issue with 223 and i was losing 5 cases or so every hundred and I had to really feel for it. I cleaned the press and tightened the shellpate a little more than usual and didnt lose 1 in the next 1000