Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

punching loaded 40??

outdoors905

hey all..

has anyone punched 40sw though either the lee bulge busted or the redding grx?

they all fit thru a case gauge but won't fully land into an sti barrel

it was suggested that I can run reloaded rounds thru either of the above and make things work, i'm leaning towards the grx over the lee as i'm not chasing a loaded primer with a second round (lol)

thanx for any input

M

i've run loaded rounds through the lee, as have many many others with zero problems. but i also put my loaded rounds loose in an ammo can, so maybe I just like to live dangerously (or I'm good at math and realize there is zero danger).

3 minutes ago, thormx538 said:

I have with the Lee die many times. 

I wouldn't worry about the primer thing, you're barely putting any force on it. It's no different than having rounds in a tubular magazine.

thanx for the input, never thought about it like a tube mag :) 

the grx will punch singles so i'm more relaxed about the concept now...cheers!!

1 minute ago, Mike21STI said:

I have the grx it works well.  Spend the extra money on the carbide version for easier use. 

I don't think I would run loaded rounds through it though.  

I've got two of the carbide sets, picked them up on the cheap

i've got 1000+ of these I did up for someone...thought the gauge would let me know if they were going to work or not (go-nogo)

live 'n learn lol, but ya, i'd rather try this first than breaking them all down

5 minutes ago, motosapiens said:

i've run loaded rounds through the lee, as have many many others with zero problems. but i also put my loaded rounds loose in an ammo can, so maybe I just like to live dangerously (or I'm good at math and realize there is zero danger).

lol, thanx motosapiens

is there supposed to be an issue with loose ammo in cans? oops ;)

2 minutes ago, outdoors905 said:

lol, thanx motosapiens

is there supposed to be an issue with loose ammo in cans? oops ;)

the same issue as the imagined one pushing loaded rounds through the bulge-buster. You have the possibility of a bullet resting on another bullet, so the primer could potentially touch the nose of the bullet with a few grams of pressure.

Using the bulge buster, only the bottom round that is currently  being sized is under anything other than the trivial amount of pressure caused by the weight of the round. The other 2-3 are just sitting there until they fall out of the tube.

Edited by motosapiens

27 minutes ago, outdoors905 said:

So, is the gauge out of spec or the gun barrel?
I hate "minimum match chambers" that are really undersize. 

42 minutes ago, outdoors905 said:

are we sure the problem is a bulge, and not interference with the rifling? I've only owned 5 sti's, but they were all significantly more forgiving than a case gauge.

what bullet and how long?

I run my brass through a Redding grx push through, ammo fits case gauge but was tight in chamber. I had barrel throated for longer loads and I still had some loads that would not go into battery with a STI. I was loading lead FP profile and the ogive is not consistent with these lead bullets so it didn’t matter if I loaded long or short, I had some that would not go into battery. 

sorry for the delay in reply gents

gun shoots factory ammo apparently without a problem (no, it's not my gun)

the reloaded rounds fit into a gauge with no issues...the occasional one is snug but does enter fully and does seat within the limits

the rounds he has me using are 200gr blue coated (not the US ones, these are north of the border ones) and "supposed" to be .401 tho i have seen discrepencies (up to .403) but they do all gauge regardless

brass has been both western metals and atlanta arms (fully processed)...full sizing done regardless, LEE 3 die set, dillon 650

3.8gr of titegroup at 1.125 col

thanx

M

On 7/10/2019 at 11:14 AM, motosapiens said:

Yes, this. I've pushed quite a few loaded rounds through various Lee sizers, there are no issues. If one is really concerned about the flat nose of a .40 bullet setting off the primer of another round just sitting on top of it, you might want to re-evaluate all the other things in life that are far more dangerous.