Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm syntech flavors - which favorite?

lfine

Been trying the 150 with my S2 and was toying with trying a 124 - which seems to be impossible to find- and also came across their two lines now of "action pistol" in 124, 130, and 150 and their "training match" 124 and 147.

Any comments on the others besides the 150s? That's all I've been able to get my hands on and would like to try a snappier round.

Thanks

(If this is in the wrong forum, apologies, please move)

Edited by lfine
spelling

I like Syntech 124's - Initially, that's all I could find as 150gr was OOS everywhere. My reloads are 125gr and these feel about the same, so that was a nice bonus. 

The "training match" ammo (its purple) is loaded to the same specs as their defensive ammo. So, steer clear of that unless you want REALLY snappy 180PF minor loads. 

Syntech and Syntech Action Pistol are a little different in how they are loaded.

115, 124's are loaded like American Eagle product, the powder charge is basically a little hotter.

130's are loaded to function in PCC's and 150's were designed to be the pistol competition load.

I have compared the 130's and 150's in a couple of different handguns, I really like the 130's in my 1911, and the 150's in my polymer frame Q5 in Carry Optics.

I am comparing the dot movement between the two now in the Q5 Steel Frame, leaning towards the 150's.

our reloads are flat nose 147 Ibejiheads and the syntech 150's shoot very similar to what we've been making.

Target has them, and they are kind of expensive but I'm slowly building a stockpile of them as those federal primers

are very consistent (we use CCi primers). I like them for match ammo at my USPSA matches

Thought I liked the 150s until I tried some regular old  Federal 124. Finding that i like more and more the quicker snap of the lower gr. than the squirt of the larger, softer.  A lot of syntech seems out these days except for 130 PCC (130gr@1130 = 146.9, so that's safe), 124 training (124gr @1050 = 130.2, pretty low), and 150 Action (150gr@875=131.25, again, pretty low).  

From those numbers and what Stu says I'm ready to try the 130. (Please correct my numbers if they're wrong). 

Has anyone ever had their 150 chrono'd?

Edited by lfine
calculation