Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sear Springs

427Cobra

After 35k or so of rounds my Marauder developed hammer follow, stripped it down and found the edge of spring  where it makes contact with the sear worn/rolled over slightly, what replacement spring should I get to replace it, is one brand better than others?

I mostly use EGW's (made by Colt). Currently trying out the Clark Custom 4 finger spring in an open gun. They work well but are a little trickier to tune vs. the traditional 3 prong. 

18 hours ago, mlmiller1 said:

What does 4th finger do?

The 4th finger comes from splitting the middle leaf (disconnector leg). Splitting the middle leaf allows one tune the trigger return weight and disconnector pressure/ weight independently. In theory, one could go extremely light on the trigger return weight yet still keep the disconnector functioning reliably. My Limcat shipped with the Clark 4 leaf, must be some validity in the design.

On 7/15/2019 at 5:56 PM, accu9 said:

I mostly use EGW's (made by Colt). Currently trying out the Clark Custom 4 finger spring in an open gun. They work well but are a little trickier to tune vs. the traditional 3 prong. 

Definitely trickier, but because you can tune the disco and trigger return leafs independently, it allows for a lot more adjustment than a 3 leaf. I been using them since '92.

Edited by Dranoel

• 2 weeks later...

It is amazing for a spring to go to 35k before failure, but I am sure some folks have tempted fate and gone a LOT longer successfully with the sear spring. Having now had two used guns develop hammer fire soon after purchase just reinforces my regular changing of springs (not often, but pre-emptive maintenance).

If you are into tweaking then a four finger is fun to play with.  I probably have them in 6-8 different 1911's.  If you are happy with what you had (and 35k rounds sounds like a lot happiness) then stay with a 3 finger.  I have that in a lot of 1911's too