Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Confusing problem with sizing 9mm

Chewy

Hello!

So I've reloaded around 1000 rounds on my new Dillon 550C with all Dillon Carbide dies.  About 30 of them did not pass the plunk test so I set them aside.

While I was testing some of the rounds I had a round get stuck and did not go into battery.  I actually had to disassemble the gun, take it home and push the round out from the barrel end.  After this I figured I never, ever wanted this to happen again. 

I since got a couple of case guages (a hundo and a single) and went through ALL my loaded rounds again.    I ended up taking out another 15-20 of them that didn't pass the case gauges (probably got careless doing the plunk test).  

So I went through each one, pulling all the bullets and attempting to resize the brass and reload.   I made sure to use One Shot to lube them.  This time I was checking the cases in the case gauge after re-sizing and found out that some of the brass just wouldn't resize correctly.  I would resize, then check in the gauge and it still would stop anywhere in between 0.5mm-1.5mm from flush.  

I thought it was a brass brand issue so I started looking at the headstamps.   I had a mixture of F.C, R.P, WIN, CBC, Blazer..   Trying to re-size them multiple times didn't help.  

The most confusing thing about all this is... I had some of the same headstamps resize CORRECTLY and fit the case gauges no problem. That means... I had some F.C. , R.P, Win etc. pass case gauge without problem!

I've narrowed my problem down to my resizer --  do the dillon carbde dies suck at resizing consistently?   Or did I get a lemon?  

Is there any recommendations for a more consistent or better performing resize die that will produce rounds that case pass gauging?  (I've heard of redding dies being good?)

It makes me wonder if the Dillon dies are really worth.    Any other dies that are recommended?  I hear the redding competition seating die is a good one to get.  

Thank you for your time and help,

Chewy

1 hour ago, 36873687 said:

Lee u sizing die an lee factory crimp die an I believe the combo will help

Set sizer just off the plate, no more than a piece of paper between it and the plate.

Fcd set per instructions

Never had a problem with the EGW-U die. I process all my brass first.  Never used the FCD, never felt like I needed it.  After the U die, my Dillon dies work just fine. 

As has been said, plunk them in your barrel and see if you are having an OAL issue. If that doesn't fix it give the Lee U die a try. I have not had a single round not plunk since switching to the U die. 

You don't have to plunk test.  You already know some of the rounds won't pass muster.  The reason is the cases were shot in unsupported chambers and the bases are bulged.  A secondary cause it seating the bullet when it is not straight up and down.  

A Mr. Bulletfeeder funnel/expander will cure the second cause.  To cure the first, you will either have to push through size your brass, or buy an EGW undersized sizing die and set it as low as you can go.  I use a Lee Factory Crimp die and love it.  It sizes the top of the case as it crimp and ensures concentricity.

32 minutes ago, nso123 said:

plunk them in your barrel and see if you are having an OAL issue. If that doesn't fix it give the Lee U die a try.

I haven't had many problems loading 50,000 rounds of 9mm (minor and major)

using Dillon dies in my SDB.

Two most likely possibilities:

1.  those 3% of the rounds that did not pass the test, might just fire in your gun

(I set those aside and use them for practice)

2.  the OAL is right at the max of The Plunk Test, and a few are a little longer

than your chamber.   Backing off 0.005 0.01" might just solve your entire

problem (this is the easiest solution to try before anything else).

Of course, if you shorten the OAL, you should recheck your velocity/pressure.

Take the empty cases that don’t fit the gauge and check in your barrel. If they do plunk there then something is wrong after that step. If they don’t plunk then something is wrong in your first step. Make sure your sizing die is just off the shell plate. If that doesn’t work then a different sizing die is in order. Not a fan of the Lee or the EGW. I don’t like the wasp shape. I use the Redding sizer and it works perfectly. No wasp shape and my rounds will plunk in a EGW gauge with no problem. The Redding micrometer seat die is only worth it if you change bullets and oal’s a lot. I have one and it works great.

1 hour ago, zzt said:

You don't have to plunk test.  You already know some of the rounds won't pass muster.  The reason is the cases were shot in unsupported chambers and the bases are bulged.  A secondary cause it seating the bullet when it is not straight up and down.  

A Mr. Bulletfeeder funnel/expander will cure the second cause.  To cure the first, you will either have to push through size your brass, or buy an EGW undersized sizing die and set it as low as you can go.  I use a Lee Factory Crimp die and love it.  It sizes the top of the case as it crimp and ensures concentricity.

Thought you can't use a push through die on 9MM

If you are using range brass it is probably 9 mm loaded to major, which can swell the base.  If thkis is the case you need to get use the EGW or Lee undersize die and make sure the die is touching the shell plate.

Dillon dies are designed for normal pressue brass and have a signifcant bevel to aid in progressive presses.  Major 9 works that brass more.  One caveat is the small base dies are a bit touchier on using as they don't have the bevel.  

Also might try 100 of new cases.

11 hours ago, jcc7x7 said:

Set sizer just off the plate, no more than a piece of paper between it and the plate.

Fcd set per instructions

I had a few rounds not fit the Hundo.  I then did this (after reading it on another thread here) and all is well.  I would try this first (its the cheapest fix). 

As I have a Automated roll sizer and used to be a Commercial Loader here some info to take how you will.

In my experience you don't need an undersized die for 9 or .40.  The standard Lee sizing die will return the OD of the case to factory spec, unlike the Dillon die, which is hogged out a little bit.  There is nothing wrong with the Dillon dies, but the Lee sizes down a little farther. The OD of the brass with the rollsizer and Dillon die is the same as the same brass with the Lee factory sizer die.  Use Dillon case lube and don't worry about the brass after that.  This will ensure the brass will chamber properly in your gun.

Good luck,

DougC

3 hours ago, DougCarden said:

As I have a Automated roll sizer and used to be a Commercial Loader here some info to take how you will.

In my experience you don't need an undersized die for 9 or .40.  The standard Lee sizing die will return the OD of the case to factory spec, unlike the Dillon die, which is hogged out a little bit.  There is nothing wrong with the Dillon dies, but the Lee sizes down a little farther. The OD of the brass with the rollsizer and Dillon die is the same as the same brass with the Lee factory sizer die.  Use Dillon case lube and don't worry about the brass after that.  This will ensure the brass will chamber properly in your gun.

Good luck,

DougC

I recently found bullets were setting back in my 9MAJOR loads after years of having no issues.

Found I had swapped my Udie out for my standard LEE sizer during some brass prep or something and forgot about it. 

Put the Udie back in and bullets are rock solid again. 

8 hours ago, Sarge said:

I recently found bullets were setting back in my 9MAJOR loads after years of having no issues.

Kind of tough for bullets to set back in a 9mm Major load, because of all the

powder in there.

How far back were they setting ?

1 hour ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

powder in there.

Depends on the powder being used.  3N38- no way.  Major Pistol- yes.  Same with all the very fine grain slow powders.  As an example, my 10.2gr load of MP fills the case to withing 1/8" of the rim.  I seat to 1.161".  A poster asked me to see how much I could compress this load without it 'growing' later.  I seated to 1.126" and did not crimp.  The round had not grown at all after three months.  So I make very, very sure I have good neck tension.

3 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

powder in there.

7.8 WAC only fills case about 3/4 full. Plenty of room for set back.