Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI Staccato P for Police

geraldskip

Anyone see all the new marketing for STI about the Staccato P being the “world’s best shooting duty gun”?

I’m curious if anyone is aware of these being used as such, and would any of you trust a stock STI for this role?

I would think concerns about reliability and weight would stop most from doing it. I know I’ve owned a handful of STI’s and they all needed tuning before I’d trust them at a match, so I don’t see how I could trust one stock for “serious” use. 

What says the hive mind?

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The guns are heavy, the mags are temperamental, defensive rounds may or may not work.... there’s a zero percent chance that an STI for John Q Patrolman is a better idea than a Glock or numerous other cheaper service pistol options. 

I’d suspect any departments running these on a wide scale are probably “special” units and probably lead by a guy that shoots or shot competitively. 

3 hours ago, tha1000 said:

The guns are heavy, the mags are temperamental, defensive rounds may or may not work.... there’s a zero percent chance that an STI for John Q Patrolman is a better idea than a Glock or numerous other cheaper service pistol options. 

This is why I am the only one in a department of 750 sworn that carries a 2011. Adam also knew what duty ammo I would be using and tested my pistol much more extensively than he normally does. If it wasn't for that, I would still be carrying my G17.

Edited by dthomas1003

So, I'm one of those guys who works for an Agency who lets us carry 1911/2011 style pistols and we are currently in the process of doing a deal with STI for the Texas Ranger Division.  This post is probably somewhat aimed at me/us.  I've carried some high-end Infinity pistols, CKARMS pistols and STI pistols on duty.  All of them have minor issues, most of which revolve around the magazines.  STI claims to have resolved their magazine issues and have tuned them more towards duty use than competition.  The T&E pistol I have in hand seems to support their claim.   

7 hours ago, dthomas1003 said:

I carry an Atlas Titan Operator on duty. I also use it in 3gun matches and that has confirmed its reliability for me, flawless. I would not trust an STI for duty use. 

What grip do you have on that one? 

16 minutes ago, RangerTrace said:

So, I'm one of those guys who works for an Agency who lets us carry 1911/2011 style pistols and we are currently in the process of doing a deal with STI for the Texas Ranger Division.  This post is probably somewhat aimed at me/us.  I've carried some high-end Infinity pistols, CKARMS pistols and STI pistols on duty.  All of them have minor issues, most of which revolve around the magazines.  STI claims to have resolved their magazine issues and have tuned them more towards duty use than competition.  The T&E pistol I have in hand seems to support their claim.   

You guys using the ALS Springfield Operator holsters? Or the new 2011 ones? I haven’t seen one of their new 2011 ones in the wild so I’m a little leery. 

It's funny to me how people say they wouldn't trust an STI for duty due to reliability, but it's the most popular gun in the competition world because of its reliability and accuracy. 

5 minutes ago, geraldskip said:

You guys using the ALS Springfield Operator holsters? Or the new 2011 ones? I haven’t seen one of their new 2011 ones in the wild so I’m a little leery. 

No, they actually made, at my request (through Bill Wilson) an ALS holster that will work with the Wilson Combat EDC or any of the railed, commander length 2011 pistols.  I have the first left handed one ever produced, and my Stacatto P is resting in it right now.  It also seems they made one for 5" guns as well.  When they make one that will work with an X300, I will be satisfied.

10 minutes ago, Matt1911 said:

It's funny to me how people say they wouldn't trust an STI for duty due to reliability, but it's the most popular gun in the competition world because of its reliability and accuracy. 

I've seen plenty of Glocks and Sigs fail in my career, so I'm not scared of a bobble here or there for a pistol that can and will destroy a striker fired pistol, when it runs.  STI says they want to expand into the LE/MIL market.....we are willing to help them do it.  They already have lots of CA SWAT carrying their pistols.

1 minute ago, RangerTrace said:

I've seen plenty of Glocks and Sigs fail in my career, so I'm not scared of a bobble here or there for a pistol that can and will destroy a striker fired pistol, when it runs.  STI says they want to expand into the LE/MIL market.....we are willing to help them do it.  They already have lots of CA SWAT carrying their pistols.

Oh I've seen a lot of Glocks fail myself, which is why I never buy into the "perfection" claim that so many Glock fans praise. 

Anything that's made in mass production is bound to have a turd in the mix. There's no getting around it. 

Oh, and I carry a Glock 48 for CC, so I'm not a Glock hater. I just live in reality.

STI has had a few very large LE contracts in foreign countries.  The Phillipines I think for one.  I shot the heck out of a couple of the Staccatos at a range day at SHOT.  Probably went through several hundred rounds and watched at least 1K shot.  Not a huge sample, but never saw one bobble.  I don't trust any gun out of the box for LE.  But these do have potential.  

1 hour ago, RangerTrace said:

No, they actually made, at my request (through Bill Wilson) an ALS holster that will work with the Wilson Combat EDC or any of the railed, commander length 2011 pistols.  I have the first left handed one ever produced, and my Stacatto P is resting in it right now.  It also seems they made one for 5" guns as well.  When they make one that will work with an X300, I will be satisfied.

Do you have a model number?

2 hours ago, geraldskip said:

I’m using the Springfield holster with a TLR-1HL light on the gun. Only modification I had to make was to relieve an area for the mag release. 

I think the more prudent questions would be,  what  possible advantage would be gained for an officer, for the cost involved.

I am going to go with none. Wanting to replace a lighter, simpler to operate,  cheaper pistol, that is known for very good reliability with one that is heaiver, more complicated, probably 10x more expensive, and known for questionable reliability seems foolish.  But, since it is a government program it will probably be adopted whole heartedly.  

FYI, i am not a glock guy, just a realist. Any quality plastic gun is probably better than any 1911/2011 for carry/duty

3 hours ago, RJH said:

I think the more prudent questions would be,  what  possible advantage would be gained for an officer, for the cost involved.

I am going to go with none. Wanting to replace a lighter, simpler to operate,  cheaper pistol, that is known for very good reliability with one that is heaiver, more complicated, probably 10x more expensive, and known for questionable reliability seems foolish.  But, since it is a government program it will probably be adopted whole heartedly.  

FYI, i am not a glock guy, just a realist. Any quality plastic gun is probably better than any 1911/2011 for carry/duty

I made the decision to carry a 2011 for a very simple reason, I compete. I compete with 2011s and 1911s and I shoot those style pistols and triggers the most. I do not shoot a Glock as well as I do the 1911 platform. I did not want to go back and forth between two very different triggers and grip angles when my life or yours might depend on it. Sure an Atlas is expensive but mine has been just as reliable as any of the Glocks I have carried. It's a small price to pay to deploy a weapon system that I am the most proficient with.

I carry a pistol for protection of my family and myself.  The expense and weight of that pistol has never entered the equation. 

People who carry should carry what is best for them.  I carry what is the best *for me*, and that is and has been a single or double stack 1911 (not an STI).  If a plastic striker fired pistol was more reliable than what I carry, I would carry it.     

Good luck with the project, Ranger Trace...and stay safe.

1 hour ago, dthomas1003 said:

I made the decision to carry a 2011 for a very simple reason, I compete. I compete with 2011s and 1911s and I shoot those style pistols and triggers the most. I do not shoot a Glock as well as I do the 1911 platform. I did not want to go back and forth between two very different triggers and grip angles when my life or yours might depend on it. Sure an Atlas is expensive but mine has been just as reliable as any of the Glocks I have carried. It's a small price to pay to deploy a weapon system that I am the most proficient with.

Don't worry bro, my life isn't going to depend on your gun.

Also don't think i am saying that you shouldn't carry what you want, but if you have to have a high end 1911/2011 to be proficient, maybe you need a little more trigger time?  I know that sounds dickish, but it really isn't meant that way.  If glock grip angle don't work for you (and others) there are M&Ps, xDMs, p320s etc to choose from too.  

I too compete and switching from 1911/2011 to whatever has proven to be no issue whatsoever to me.  For duty/carry I see no advantage to the 1911/2011 design, though i do like them.  But anyway, carry what you like, as long as it is you paying for it 

6 hours ago, RJH said:

Don't misunderstand me, we pay for these guns, not the State.  DPS issues a Sig P320 and you can carry that if you like.  Some do, most don't.  I just prefer 1911/2011 pistols.  Infinity was never a great choice because the steel grip makes it weight quite a bit more than a single stack.  I think the Stacatto weighs around 35 ounces, which isn't bad at all.  STI is giving us a very generous discount, which makes these only 3 times more than a Glock!!

1 hour ago, RJH said:

Don't worry bro, my life isn't going to depend on your gun.

Also don't think i am saying that you shouldn't carry what you want, but if you have to have a high end 1911/2011 to be proficient, maybe you need a little more trigger time?  I know that sounds dickish, but it really isn't meant that way.  If glock grip angle don't work for you (and others) there are M&Ps, xDMs, p320s etc to choose from too.  

I too compete and switching from 1911/2011 to whatever has proven to be no issue whatsoever to me.  For duty/carry I see no advantage to the 1911/2011 design, though i do like them.  But anyway, carry what you like, as long as it is you paying for it 

I am the most proficient with a 1911/2011 because I get the most trigger time on it, not because of the gun. I carried a Glock for 21 years prior and was very proficient with it. I just prefer the 1911/2011. We pay for anything we want to carry outside of department issue. My department only issues Glocks.