Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

everglades 124 9 major

cnote

need some 9 major ammo in a pinch, any experiences with this company???
I use their 124 FMJ's on top of 7.1 of n350 ..
And actually just received another case.
I like them. They seem to be consistent on the chrono and accurate.

As far as the company goes; very easy to deal with and very responsive.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Their ammo is loaded short, around 1.144" to 1.147.  It feels a little hot, but they claim 172PF.  It shoots fine and accurately.  If you gun can handle ammo that short, give it a go.  They load using an EOM powder that feels like the equivalent of WAC or Silhouette to me.

Edited by zzt

It works fine. A little hot but I’m sure they make it that way in order to pass chrono in “most” barrels. The length didn’t seem to be a problem in my 2011 

I’ve also been using it with a Czechmate for the last several months. No issues, been really happy with it and they’ve been very quick getting it shipped out whenever I order. 

• 6 months later...

I ordered 500, and they shot fine, sent 750 to nationals in Utah and had nothing but issues.  Don't know what happened, different lot #'s, and they blamed it on my gun.

Came home from nationals and shot a local with the original lot with no issues. Didn't even clean the gun. 

Go figure, only difference was the lot produced, and potentially the location/atmosphere. 

I’ve shot over 2000 rounds through it and zero issue so far.  I shoot the everglades and black dot ammo through my Honcho and the everglades is a softer shooting ammo because it’s a tad hotter than the black dot. (The comp on the honcho likes hotter ammo). I was concerned that it might be to short but so far no issues.  I’ll continue to order the Everglades ammo.

1 hour ago, cnote said:

I ordered 500, and they shot fine, sent 750 to nationals in Utah and had nothing but issues.  Don't know what happened, different lot #'s, and they blamed it on my gun.

Came home from nationals and shot a local with the original lot with no issues. Didn't even clean the gun. 

Go figure, only difference was the lot produced, and potentially the location/atmosphere. 

Just for info, what were the "issues" in UT?  Also, do you plunk test every round?  I agree there should have been no useable difference in batch.

Everglades makes my absolute favorite plated 124 grain ammo for major.  They only recommend 1200 fps, but there is absolutely zero leading in my gun at major.

Yesterday, through a stock tanfoglio barrel, I put 5 plated ammo rounds through a .7 inch hole at 25 yards. (What?!  With plated?!!)

I can’t use their loaded major ammo in the short chamber Tanfo though, loaded too long.

On 2/9/2020 at 7:08 AM, cnote said:

What kind of issues? Failures to feed? Optics Nationals in Utah was very very dusty and I tried very hard to keep my ammo protected from the elements and clean magazines after every stage, and I also kept my gun covered to keep dust from infiltrating it.

On 2/9/2020 at 7:08 AM, cnote said:

I too would like to hear about the issues. Their ammo is really good typically. 

Did you shoot any of the 750 when you were back home? 

It was failure to extract.  I had the ammo shipped out there, did not plunk test it as it was the only ammo I had available, although i did shoot a squad mates ammo for a stage without issue. 

Didn't have a whole lot of ammo left over from the batch sent out there.  The original lot ran just fine.  I guess i can just blame the conditions.

Quick note  on the Everglades 124 9 major. Did some chrono with it shooting the PT Honcho and it didn’t make major factor. Best it did was 163. Have first major of the year coming up this week and thankfully my Black Dot Ammo had no problem. Pretty surprising but glad I chrono’d, assumed factory Ammo wouldn’t have a problem.