Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Smaller guy USPSA gun

I am looking to get more into USPSA, i only have a compact sig 320 with the red dot, so that means i am in the market for a new gun.

Paralysis by analysis has got me frustrated. I have the GSSF coupon so initially i was thinking just grab the g34. Now here is my question and when i got my first AR i went through the same thing (being worried about 18 in barrel vs 16), I am 5'5 with smaller hands. do you think the 34 will be too much and I should just get the 17?

Edited by mikey_golds

38 minutes ago, mikey_golds said:

I am looking to get more into USPSA, i only have a compact sig 320 with the red dot, so that means i am in the market for a new gun.

Paralysis by analysis has got me frustrated. I have the GSSF coupon so initially i was thinking just grab the g34. Now here is my question and when i got my first AR i went through the same thing (being worried about 18 in barrel vs 16), I am 5'5 with smaller hands. do you think the 34 will be too much and I should just get the 17?

Grips on the 2 guns are the same, go with the 34

I'm having the same issue on the larger side. Like @RJH says, the grips on the 17 and 34 are identical. They also come with different backstraps so you could try changing those. As for 17 vs, 34, the difference is largely in barrel length. If you are going to shoot iron sights, a slightly longer sight radius might be beneficial. If you might eventually go CO, then a 17 MOS will be just fine.

I think a CZ P-09 or P-10F would work better for you.  I have med size hands (glove size 8 ) and the P-09 with the large backstrap indexes perfectly.  Both of those guns come with S, M, and L backstraps.  Both have more ergonomic grips than any Glock.  The magazines are interchangeable between them and both hold 18 rounds without extended floorplates.  The P-10F comes in an Optics Ready version and the P-09 can be easily milled to take a reflex sight by either Cajun Gun Works or CZ Custom.

I've had a Glock 17.  Notice the past tense. 

Edited by elguapo

Just now, Hi-Power Jack said:

I'd get over to a gun shop and handle a few alternatives -see which you prefer.    :) 

shot the 17 liked it, can't find a 34 anywhere and none of my buddies have one actually. ive watched a few uspsa locals but feel so awkward going up to someone and saying "hey can i try out your gun"

Just now, elguapo said:

I think a CZ P-09 or P-10F would work better for you.  I have med size hands (glove size 8 ) and the P-09 with the large backstrap indexes perfectly.  Both of those guns come with S, M, and L backstraps.  Both have more ergonomic grips than any Glock.  The magazines are interchangeable between them and both hold 18 rounds without extended floorplates.  The P-10F comes in an Optics Ready version and the P-09 can be easily milled to take a reflex sight by either Cajum Gun Works or CZ Custom.

Cool. Just be aware that while the 34 is on the USPSA production list, it is not on the IPSC so be aware if you have any plans to shoot in Canada.

Just now, elguapo said:

I think a CZ P-09 or P-10F would work better for you.   and both hold 18 rounds without extended floorplates. 

in a 10 round state unfortunately. but yes i do notice the past tense 

6 minutes ago, mikey_golds said:

feel awkward going up to someone and saying "hey can i try out your gun"

Don't.   Just admire it a LOT, and see If they invite you to handle it.

HINT:   If they don't, ask "hey, would you mind if I fondled that beauty ?"

Heck, they might actually let you shoot it.    :) 

If getting a Glock I'd go with a Gen 5. The Gen 4 and 5 (with no added backstrap) have a smaller grip than the Gen 3. And the Gen 5 doesn't have finger grooved that may or may not line up with your fingers. 

And if you go up to someone at a match and tell them that you're new and trying to decide what gun to get the vast majority of people would be happy to show you their gun and let you try it. Just don't ask when that person is on deck to shoot 😉

I was only thinking glock since it’s a good entry price point. I can use it for uspsa ipda or even gssf and I have the blue label code just sitting around 

10 minutes ago, Southpaw said:

If getting a Glock I'd go with a Gen 5. The Gen 4 and 5 (with no added backstrap) have a smaller grip than the Gen 3. And the Gen 5 doesn't have finger grooved that may or may not line up with your fingers. 

And if you go up to someone at a match and tell them that you're new and trying to decide what gun to get the vast majority of people would be happy to show you their gun and let you try it. Just don't ask when that person is on deck to shoot 😉

2 minutes ago, mikey_golds said:

I was only thinking glock since it’s a good entry price point. I can use it for uspsa ipda or even gssf and I have the blue label code just sitting around 

Ditto. Just over 400 bones is worth it, if even just to shoot a GSSF match. Plus, I figure a stock 17 is a good night-stand blaster.

9 minutes ago, Mcfoto said:

Ditto. Just over 400 bones is worth it, if even just to shoot a GSSF match. Plus, I figure a stock 17 is a good night-stand blaster.

So now I have changed my mind I’ll go 17 throw Dawson sights on. And just shoot as much as I can to gain experience. Move up as much before worrying about spending more for something else. 

7 minutes ago, mikey_golds said:

So now I have changed my mind I’ll go 17 throw Dawson sights on. And just shoot as much as I can to gain experience. Move up as much before worrying about spending more for something else. 

Eggsalent... (Monty Burns voice)

Image result for excellent monty burns

Edited by Mcfoto

Handle a Walther PPQ first. Preferably with the small backstrap. You’ll like the grip size and access to the mag/slide releases a lot more than a Glock. Prices aren’t too different.

If you like an ordinary PPQ’s grip at the gun store, grab a 5” PPQ M2 or the competition-oriented Q5 Match. They all share an identical grip.

I don't think a smaller person needs a smaller grip on the gun. My hands have broad palms and relatively short fingers and my preference is for wide grips on my pistols.  I built a 9mm 1911 with thin grips for my very petite partner, but her preference swung towards the 2011 width as soon as she held one.

I think our OP is on the right track picking up a Glock, even though they aren't my favorite. I'd encourage him to get one of the MOS versions of the 34 or 17 just in case carry optics starts to look appealing. 

7 minutes ago, belus said:

I don't think a smaller person needs a smaller grip on the gun. My hands have broad palms and relatively short fingers and my preference is for wide grips on my pistols.  I built a 9mm 1911 with thin grips for my very petite partner, but her preference swung towards the 2011 width as soon as she held one.

I think our OP is on the right track picking up a Glock, even though they aren't my favorite. I'd encourage him to get one of the MOS versions of the 34 or 17 just in case carry optics starts to look appealing. 

I have small hands and put thin grips and a shorten trigger on My 1911 and feels better in my hand than any bigger grip Glock or bigger grips on 1911.

Edited by dtuns

On 7/11/2019 at 6:07 PM, belus said:

Thanks for the advice I’ve handled both the 17 and 34. Really only going glock since I have the GSSF coupon laying around. 

Don't.   Just admire it a LOT, and see If they invite you to handle it.

HINT:   If they don't, ask "hey, would you mind if I fondled that beauty ?"

Heck, they might actually let you shoot it.    [emoji4] 
This... just go up to the guy and ask. Almost 100% positive they'll be receptive. Just explain your situation like you did here. I wouldn't think twice if you approached me. And I've done it a couple of times with guys shooting guns I've wanted but were hard to find.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

I would bet money that no one would turn you down. I’ve handed my shadow off to dozens of people. Just avoid those open guys. Those a_-holes will have you wanting to shoot open in no time 

Do you have a local range with a larger selection of rentals?

If so go and rent the models you are considering and compare them for grip and ergonomics side by side. 

The problem with borrowing someone’s competition gun is, like me, they have probably customized it for their shooting style. 

Personally for production division and smaller hands the CZ Shadow 2 can’t be beat. Tons of customization parts, it can be converted to CO, I’ve seen many people use it for Limited minor division and competition holsters are available. The only problem is it’s at least double the price of a Glock, but many think it’s worth it. 

Just my opinion, like so many others. You find what works for you. 

If you have a GSSF coupon then the 34 is the way to go, especially if you can get a Gen 5.  That gun will take you as far as you want to go in the sport.   A  lot of the top  production GM's in my area made the switch back to glocks from metal guns.