Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
Sign in to follow this  
champ198

What firearm for IDPA

I am looking to get started back into competitive shooting as I haven't shot a match in over a year.

I was shooting USPSA but have found a IDPA club about an hour from home.

I still have my gun belt rig from USPSA but its set up different so not sure if it would be able to be used.

I was curious to hear from the group what gun you all shoot for IDPA. I have 2 carry guns now one is a S&W Shield 9mm and also a Sig Sauer P239 9mm. both 8 round single stack guns.

how would these fair in IDPA.

and also is it the same as far as gear needed? 5 Mags was what I used in USPSA is it the same for IDPA?

im still in the process of reading through the rule book.

If your USPSA belt rig is the usual dual belt setup it's definitely a no go

If your holster is significantly offset away from the body and/or dropped to where the front strap of the pistol's grip falls below the top of the belt, definitely a no go.  Read the rules carefully on this.

I shoot IDPA SSP with the same pistol I shoot in USPSA Production.    

I use a simple kydex OWB pancake holster, my every day CC belt (Ares Gear), and a couple of kydex clip-on mag pouches (same kind I use for CC).

Speaking of magazines and pouches, you won't need as many as you do in Production.  There's a limit to how many you can have on you anyway and it's a lot fewer than five. 

At any rate, the course design rules are such that you won't need more than two mags (if shooting ESP or SSP) to complete any stage.  I start any stage with three (the most allowed in SSP), two on the belt and one in my front pocket that goes in the gun at make ready.

Posted (edited)

Simple 5.11 dual layer (not single! No floppy belt) nylon webbing riggers belt. I like the wilderness tactical one. 

Any kydex owb holster worn at 3 o clock w no cant or extra retention stuff. Rln custom makes mine. Bladetec or comptac for mass produced. 

Two pouches. Behind hipbone at 9 o clock. Simple is best here again. Rln custom makes mine. 

This will work for 98% of people and situations. Except revolver weirdos.

Stages are limited to 18 rounds. 

I'll let you figure out your gun division. 

Edited by rowdyb

You could use either gun with the 8-round magazines in CCP – just have an extra magazine available for the “Load and Make Ready” so you can load a round into the chamber and be able to start with 9 in the gun.  You could also use the Shield with the 7-round magazines in the BUG division and load them to 6.  For CCP, you are allowed two extra magazines on your belt each loaded to eight.  For BUG, you are allowed three extra mags on the belt each loaded to six. 

I think either gun would be fine for you to get started with.  The Shield makes a great BUG gun, but you might find that shooting BUG is less fun with all the reloading and lack of participation in most matches.  It would be less competitive in CCP, but definitely usable.  Same with the P239.

Personally, I use Kytex mag pouches, an Ares Aegis belt, and Comp-Tac International holster for a Glock 34 in SSP.

I contacted the range where the matches are. With my work schedule and kids and so on its a good possibility that I might not be able to shoot just due to schedule ill have to see what they say but after thinking about it I think that was why I started shooting USPSA was due to the match schedule worked with mine.

Agree with above, shoot one of your present guns in CCP (Compact Carry Pistol) at 8+1 with basic Kydex gear.

The MD at one of the area ranges shoots CCP which gets us a lot of 17 shot stages, so you only have to reload once... if you don't miss. 

On 7/8/2019 at 8:18 AM, rowdyb said:

Simple 5.11 dual layer (not single! No floppy belt) nylon webbing riggers belt. I like the wilderness tactical one. 

Any kydex owb holster worn at 3 o clock w no cant or extra retention stuff. Rln custom makes mine. Bladetec or comptac for mass produced. 

Two pouches. Behind hipbone at 9 o clock. Simple is best here again. Rln custom makes mine. 

This will work for 98% of people and situations. Except revolver weirdos.

Stages are limited to 18 rounds. 

I'll let you figure out your gun division. 

Yep us Revolver weirdos get to have our 2 loaders either within 1" of the front of the holster, behind the hips or some such, but it's fun to go to a match and beat 90% of the semi guys!  I've shot most with an IWB Holster, even with Revolver.

First download the rulebook from IDPA.  It's aimed more at using CCW gear.  

What did you shoot in USPSA?  You may just have to put the holster on a single belt.

The rulebook will help you decide.  Remember IDPA is more restrictive on how you shoot than USPSA you really need to read the rules and procedures.

Oh and don't AIR GUN the COF, that's the one habit I can't seem to break.  Someday I'll get a penalty I'm sure.

Edited by pskys2

1 hour ago, pskys2 said:

beat 90% of the semi guys

Glad to be in the 10% hahaha

IDPA speedloader location rules are retarded.  The rule should be simple: lift up arms straight out to the sides.  If your stuff can be seen either move it or get a different cover garment.

On 7/12/2019 at 12:04 PM, rowdyb said:

Glad to be in the 10% hahaha

It was a local match, but only 3 guys out of 30+ were higher 2 CO and 1 PCC.

But the one thing I like about IDPA is it does tend to be a little more Revolver friendly.  

Everyone reloads when dry, and it's quick to run dry with a 6 shot Revovler!  So none of that dumping shots, reload with retention or forgetfullness of an old USPSA guy.

Now if they would just NOT put in 9 rounds at one position with activated targets!

IF I don't stop Air Gunning the COF they'll start giving me Penalties, that's the one thing I can't seem to stop.