Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ati mil sport 9mm pistol help

Bought a ati mil sport 9mm pistol. Having issues with extractor. Pistol feeds fine and runs fine ejecting spent cases. Here’s my problem. When I go to clear the pistol the extractor is not grabbing the case to pull it and eject the live round. Gonna takefiring pin and extractor out and clean real good. Never had a pcc ar so the bolt is a little different but does the extractor need to be bent a little or some bend taken out. I loaded 10 rounds in a mag and fired the first round then pulled bolt back to see if extractor grabs case. About every 3 case the extractor would not grab case. I pulled back bolt all the way back and let it slam  and 2out of the 3-4 rds the extractor grab case after doing this, the mag was taken out each time to let the bolt go all the way then repeated the process. I know the extractor is not working 100%. Any ideas and help appreciated for a novice to pcc 9mm ar

Hello. I'm running an ATI 9mm mil spec. Your on the right track with cleaning everything well after disassembly. Once it does grab the rim of an unfired round,with the magazine out, can you pull the bolt back and will it stay in place before it hits the ejector? That would indicate good extractor tension. I would also polish and de bur contact points on the extractor and a related area. I dont believe the case rim slides up under the extractor coming out of the magazine before it gets chambered as it would with a 9 mm Glock pistol for example. The extractor hops over the rim once the bolt is at forward position. If there is a bur or something preventing it from hopping over the rim it will not catch it to extract. I believe you are not seeing this problem when firing because the empty fired case pushing back against the bolt face fully will cause the extractor to grab the rim coming out of battery. Contact their customer support. Get yourself some extra parts. I did that with mine. They are very helpful and very reasonable on backup parts one might need.

31 minutes ago, Dirtchevy841 said:

Bought a ati mil sport 9mm pistol. Having issues with extractor. Pistol feeds fine and runs fine ejecting spent cases. Here’s my problem. When I go to clear the pistol the extractor is not grabbing the case to pull it and eject the live round. Gonna takefiring pin and extractor out and clean real good. Never had a pcc ar so the bolt is a little different but does the extractor need to be bent a little or some bend taken out. I loaded 10 rounds in a mag and fired the first round then pulled bolt back to see if extractor grabs case. About every 3 case the extractor would not grab case. I pulled back bolt all the way back and let it slam  and 2out of the 3-4 rds the extractor grab case after doing this, the mag was taken out each time to let the bolt go all the way then repeated the process. I know the extractor is not working 100%. Any ideas and help appreciated for a novice to pcc 9mm ar

11 minutes ago, vgdvc said:

Hello. I'm running an ATI 9mm mil spec. Your on the right track with cleaning everything well after disassembly. Once it does grab the rim of an unfired round,with the magazine out, can you pull the bolt back and will it stay in place before it hits the ejector? That would indicate good extractor tension. I would also polish and de bur contact points on the extractor and a related area. I dont believe the case rim slides up under the extractor coming out of the magazine before it gets chambered as it would with a 9 mm Glock pistol for example. The extractor hops over the rim once the bolt is at forward position. If there is a bur or something preventing it from hopping over the rim it will not catch it to extract. I believe you are not seeing this problem when firing because the empty fired case pushing back against the bolt face fully will cause the extractor to grab the rim coming out of battery. Contact their customer support. Get yourself some extra parts. I did that with mine. They are very helpful and very reasonable on backup parts one might need.

Thanks. Deep clean and some polishing on the way. I was thinking same thing maybe the extractor needs a little filing or deburing 

I run a ATI carbine with a JP comp, Kaw Valley Bolt, Blitzkrieg Hydraulic buffer, JP 308 polished spring and it runs great except it breaks firing pins with less than 2,000 rounds.

Only time I have had extraction problems is when I have a round too long. Make sure you do a barrel plunk test with reloads( if you use them).

• 4 weeks later...

Sent ati email today. Cleaned checked for burs inspected bolt and extractor when I had it completely apart. Oiled it up and surprise still wouldn’t extract the live round. Hope ati makes good on this cause as of now I consider this a waste of money. 

On 7/10/2019 at 9:13 AM, Ken Shoot Fast said:

I run a ATI carbine with a JP comp, Kaw Valley Bolt, Blitzkrieg Hydraulic buffer, JP 308 polished spring and it runs great except it breaks firing pins with less than 2,000 rounds.

Only time I have had extraction problems is when I have a round too long. Make sure you do a barrel plunk test with reloads( if you use them).

What trigger assembly do you have in it?

8 hours ago, Dirtchevy841 said:

Sent ati email today. Cleaned checked for burs inspected bolt and extractor when I had it completely apart. Oiled it up and surprise still wouldn’t extract the live round. Hope ati makes good on this cause as of now I consider this a waste of money. 

I have had positive experience when dealing with them in the past. You may be able to get in contact directly with one of their gunsmiths or have a representative to talk to a gunsmith on your behalf. As long as the bolt is seating flush with the breech face in battery perhaps there is something that out of spec with the extractor or lack of proper extractor spring tension. Keep us apprised.

3 hours ago, vgdvc said:

I have had positive experience when dealing with them in the past. You may be able to get in contact directly with one of their gunsmiths or have a representative to talk to a gunsmith on your behalf. As long as the bolt is seating flush with the breech face in battery perhaps there is something that out of spec with the extractor or lack of proper extractor spring tension. Keep us apprised.

I have noticed since cleaning and putting back together and trying to figure out what’s happening that when it doesn’t want to grab the round the bolt is not flush and I can push down on bolt from ejection port and the bolt snaps down and there’s no gap. The gap is about 1/16 of an inch when you look at it on the side of port. Even when I push it down it still doesn’t grab the live round. 

4 hours ago, Dirtchevy841 said:

I have noticed since cleaning and putting back together and trying to figure out what’s happening that when it doesn’t want to grab the round the bolt is not flush and I can push down on bolt from ejection port and the bolt snaps down and there’s no gap. The gap is about 1/16 of an inch when you look at it on the side of port. Even when I push it down it still doesn’t grab the live round. 

Almost sounds like extractor is not riding over rim of case to engage it for extraction and keeping bolt out of full battery. If they can't diagnose the problem better hopefully ATI will send you a new extractor ,extractor pin and extractor spring to try. What  trigger assembly question was for Ken Shoot Fast since he mentioned having firing pin breaking issues.

15 hours ago, Ken Shoot Fast said:

Hyperfire 3Gun trigger

May be worthwhile running the lighter tension toggle springs with your Hyperfire to help prevent excessive Hammer Force on the firing pin. May increase the trigger pull by little less than a pound but could be worth it.

1 hour ago, Dirtchevy841 said:

Still waiting from ati. Almost 2 weeks and nothing. 

Fwiw this was my contact with them that proved to be successful. 

Sherie.Desrochers@americantactical.com

800 290 0065 xt755