Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Brownells slide or new MOS ?

p7fl

I've got a itch to try optics. While not loving Glocks I now have 5 19s going all the way back to a 1993.

For optics if I purchase a Brownells G19 slide and and just switch parts.

(adding higher front and rear sights)  it saves me $400.00 over buying a new G19 MOS.

Is that a good way to go or am I being simplistic?

Or are they issues with that?

Or is there a better choice of slide in the same price range?

(I would prefer not milling a slide in case I don't like optics.)

sorry for all the questions...but thanks for the help

DVC

jon

Edited by p7fl
spelling

The Brownells slides have some holster compatibility issues.

I have a Brownells 19 optics slide and it is a very nice slide. No function issues, but it doesn’t fit quite right in several of my Glock holsters. It works in the holsters but does not have the same smooth lock up and draw as with factory glock pistols.

Just something to be aware of, especially if you plan on using it for competition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

I’m not sure exactly what it is. I haven’t actually put calipers to it to find out exactly what if any measurements are different. Just judging by appearance, all the edges of the Brownells slide are sharp 90° edges, unlike the Glock slide that’s radiused and rounded on all the edges. ALL edges on the Brownells slide are in fact very sharp and can take skin off. It’s not that it doesn’t fit. It’s just it doesn’t fit well, or as intended. In my Bladetech holsters there is resistance sliding in and out, and you don’t get that positive “click” like you do with Glock factory pistols. I have some safariland holsters as well that use the ejection port to lock up. It will lock in those holsters, but again it’s rough sliding in and out. Sorry I don’t have a more definitive answer for you. It’s still a great slide all things considered.

Good afternoon, iflyskyhigh!

Thanks for the info!  Actually, your description was very helpful indeed!  I can understand why the sharp edges may cause that type of binding in the holster.  I looked at my Comp Tac and the bends where it goes around the slide have a radius to keep them from kinking during forming, and if the slide has a sharp edge, it would continually dig into that.

If I pick one up, I'll be sure to give that some consideration during holster selection!

Thanks again for the info!

All my best,

Rob 

• 1 month later...

Good morning,

I ended up purchasing a Brownells G34 RMR slide and Brownells Match Grade G34 barrel.  I couldn't be happier with the combination.  I put them on my Polymer 80 lower, and the combination is flawless.  2" groups at 25 yds is the norm with most of my reloads, and 2.5" with Winchester Ranger 147 gr factory.

The Brownell slides now have more contoured edges and the slide fits holsters pretty well (but not the Polymer80 frame, unfortunately).  The only thing I'd prefer different is the slide serrations to have slightly less agresssive edges.  You sure know when you've got a grip on them! ;) 

Hope this helps anyone considering the combination!

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Ltoo said:

I just ordered an RMR cut SS slide from Saurez International. $215. Just another option. Haven't received it yet.

Definitely review it for us when it arrives.

DVC

• 2 weeks later...
[mention=47514]iflyskyhigh[/mention] is there any holster brands that you found fit best with brownells slide?

Thanks

The Safariland’s that lock in the ejection port fit a little better because they are more generous inside (i.e. not molded to the pistol, more of “general shape of the pistol” if that makes sense)

Most of the Safariland holsters I have fit multiple guns even if it says its for a specific gun. Even guns of a different brand fit.

I’ll get some model numbers when I’m out in the man cave tomorrow.