Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CGW Shadow 2 upgrade.

Zeb0744

I have been looking at the S2 upgrade kit with the reach reduction from Cajun Gun Works.  Is the juice worth the squeeze? I plan to install it myself because of the cost and not to mention how back logged they are. I’m curious about experiences and expectations for those that have taken the leap.

Have you shot a Shadow 2 without anything done? Or maybe one with just springs swapped? Might be worth doing so you have some sort of baseline before jumping into a bunch of upgrades that might not really benefit you.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

I don't like it. I have two s2, both with 11.5 hs. The short reach kit has a worse trigger pull. I believe this is due to the reduced leverage of the shorter pull. I'd rather reduce the size of the grip if reach is a concern. I also think the adjustable sear is nonsense. I feel just springs and extended fp is the easy to go on an s2.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I have the set up in two shadow 2’s. I don’t think the rrk is totally necessary for someone with average to large hands. I do see how it can help with shorter fingers. I like the adjustable sear because I can set it stiff on the safety so as not to unintentionally activate it but still pass safety check. 

If I were ordering parts for a new s2 I’d get new springs, ext fp, old style 85 trigger, and a Comp hammer. With the rrk the disco is pretty much fit so you won’t have to do much to it, at least I didn’t. 

One thing I didn’t like was the reduced power trs. It made for a mushy trigger and reset wasn’t as tactile as I’d like. 

Im sure I forgot something but others will chime in. 

45 minutes ago, robchavous said:

Have you shot a Shadow 2 without anything done? Or maybe one with just springs swapped? Might be worth doing so you have some sort of baseline before jumping into a bunch of upgrades that might not really benefit you.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Good advice here.

I can't believe how good the S2 trigger is out of the box.  On mine the SA was 3.25lbs and the DA was pretty tough at 9 but a 13lb hammer spring (and extended firing pin for insurance) brought it right down to 6.  Strangely, it also knocked a few ounces off the SA too.  Best 25 bucks I ever spent on a trigger.

Edited by FALAR

I don't like it. I have two s2, both with 11.5 hs. The short reach kit has a worse trigger pull. I believe this is due to the reduced leverage of the shorter pull. I'd rather reduce the size of the grip if reach is a concern. I also think the adjustable sear is nonsense. I feel just springs and extended fp is the easy to go on an s2.

The adjustable sear isn’t really meant to be a performance upgrade. It’s meant to be really easy to fit to the safety. Which it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The adjustable sear isn’t really meant to be a performance upgrade. It’s meant to be really easy to fit to the safety. Which it is.

And that's all well and good until it slips and starts to double.

4 hours ago, f2benny said:

And that's all well and good until it slips and starts to double.

I’m not sure what you mean. I’ve had the adjustable sear in at least 5 guns and thousands of rounds and it’s never doubled. Most people get the adjustable sear so they won’t need to fit an expensive safety and possibly screw it up. The sear is around 30$ so it’s way cheaper if you mess it up. The only difference that I’m aware of is a set screw that interfaces the safety. 

Would you eleborate on the slipping and Doubling?
I am told that if the set screw slips it can cause the gun to go auto for multiple rounds, or engage the safety preventing firing. True they are loctited in place but guns get hot perhaps enough to loosen up the loctite. I'd rather just fit the gun or pay to have it done if I was not confident. These aren't 450 dollar glocks, I can't imagine going cheap here.

I am told that if the set screw slips it can cause the gun to go auto for multiple rounds, or engage the safety preventing firing. True they are loctited in place but guns get hot perhaps enough to loosen up the loctite. I'd rather just fit the gun or pay to have it done if I was not confident. These aren't 450 dollar glocks, I can't imagine going cheap here.

Now this is actual nonsense [emoji23]

I would assume that CGW did some R&D and engineered the parts to work without issue. I have been shooting it stock for the last couple of years and used one that another shooter had and was surprised. If the screws come out, I wouldn’t want that.

Productive comment.  Why?

Because doubling or “going auto” happens when the sear slips off the hammer, because of issues with either the sear nose or the hammer hooks.

The set screw on the Cajun adj hammer is nowhere near the action in this respect. If the screw moved all that would happen would be that the safety either couldn’t be engaged or would fail to block the sear (depending on which way the screw moved). Some might say that’s a critical issue but the reality is that the vast majority of Shadow 2’s will not make use of the safety at all. However, given the size of the screw and the stipulation for red loctite to be used I highly doubt that it will ever move (which from memory is what Cajun declare in the instructions).

Because doubling or “going auto” happens when the sear slips off the hammer, because of issues with either the sear nose or the hammer hooks.

The set screw on the Cajun adj hammer is nowhere near the action in this respect. If the screw moved all that would happen would be that the safety either couldn’t be engaged or would fail to block the sear (depending on which way the screw moved). Some might say that’s a critical issue but the reality is that the vast majority of Shadow 2’s will not make use of the safety at all. However, given the size of the screw and the stipulation for red loctite to be used I highly doubt that it will ever move (which from memory is what Cajun declare in the instructions).

Correct.

The installation of a 13 lb hammer spring and some dry firing worked fine for me.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk