Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Major Pistol powder question

igolfat8

Shot my first test loads today using MP powder in my Czechmate. I really like how clean it burns, with no soot on my brass and the recoil impulse is much friendlier than WAC and HS6. I did notice a significant amount of granular powder residue on my arms and range bench. It resembles cornmeal. I don’t think it’s unburnt powder because it’s more golden in color. Can I assume this is normal for this powder?

Some people say they get that.  I get a very few pieces like that, and not all the time.  I also got some when shooting Silhouette.  I'm running 10.2gr under a 115.  I get a super clean burn.  I think, but cannot be sure, that I saw that when the pistol was wet with lube, or I had put Kroil in the comp to loosen up stuff.  Now that my pistol is broken in I don't use as much oil and I never see the yellow blobs.  I also don't worry about the comp anymore.  4000 rounds later and I can still see the machining marks on the bottom of the ports.

10 hours ago, igolfat8 said:

Shot my first test loads today using MP powder in my Czechmate.

Are you running 124 or 115 gr bullets?

I have loads worked up for 124 gr bullets using MP,  #7 and WAC. 

Next I'm going to try the same powders with 115gr bullets to see which my CM (and me) likes better.

I’m working up loads for my CM, using cast lead, polyester coated: 95, 115 and 120 boolits. Lots more testing to do. So far, I’ve ran 400 rounds over my chrono with a lot more to go. I’m closing in on a few loads that deserve more evaluation. 

Edited by igolfat8

The games I play there are no sanctioning bodies or PF to meet. We just shoot bowling’s pins and falling steel. Shucks, 95 power factor knocks em over. I mostly shoot sub minor but occasionally I like to shoot major to see how flat I can make the pistol run.

• 2 weeks later...

The "cornmeal" is normal in some powders. Most of the Old standby Winchester branded ball powders always did it.

On 7/6/2019 at 11:15 PM, chevrofreak said:

Quite a few powders make cornmeal, such as AA7 (which some say may be the same powder) and Silhouette. 

You may be right because ball pistol powders in the Western Powder line (Accurate/Ramshot) are manufactured By St. Marks Powders of which manufactured those "cornmealing" winchester ball powders as well. Lastly The one founder of Shooters world worked for St. Marks Powder according to their website.  So the ties are there and it very well could be just relabeled Accurate powder from St. Marks or knowing the formula may have his major supplier Lovex duplicate it in Europe.  

On 7/6/2019 at 8:15 PM, chevrofreak said:

Quite a few powders make cornmeal, such as AA7 (which some say may be the same powder) and Silhouette. 

AA7 is not the same as Silhouette. Silhouette is the old WAP powder, which Ramshot took over when Winchester discontinued it in favor of Autocomp. AA7 is similar but not the same, easy to see when you load similar loads of each. 

• 4 weeks later...