Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bungee a safety device?

AmmoHouse

Dont think that bungee would do much if it did pop out,
But what I hear is,, " I trust it just fine except when I dont trust it.

con·tra·dic·tion

/ˌkäntrəˈdikSH(ə)n/

noun

a combination of statements, ideas, or features of a situation that are opposed to one another.

Which brings up an interesting point. I used to shoot with a CR speed.  Holster has a retention position,, and a lock switch,, other brands do as well,,, Often they are a source of entertainment when shooters, ( myself included) forget about the lock and give themselves an atomic wedgie at the draw.
But hey is that even against the rules ? I am walking around with a permanent attached lock,,, except at make ready where I dont use a permanently attached locking device.
Seems if the actual rules were followed lots of folks would have a problem.

15 minutes ago, Joe4d said:

con·tra·dic·tion

/ˌkäntrəˈdikSH(ə)n/

noun

a combination of statements, ideas, or features of a situation that are opposed to one another.

Which brings up an interesting point. I used to shoot with a CR speed.  Holster has a retention position,, and a lock switch,, other brands do as well,,, Often they are a source of entertainment when shooters, ( myself included) forget about the lock and give themselves an atomic wedgie at the draw.
But hey is that even against the rules ? I am walking around with a permanent attached lock,,, except at make ready where I dont use a permanently attached locking device.

A lock out Device in the holster is not a retention strap. Read rule 5.2.6. The rules don’t say anything about locking device. 

6 hours ago, bret said:

yes it does and must be applied at make ready.

if there is a strap like on a uncle mikes holster held on with velcro, from the factory, would it have to be applied?

Can serpa holsters have a wedge put in them to defeat the lock?

does a weber tactical retention holster have to have the hood flipped up over the hammer to lock it in place?

If you are going to use this kind of thing, just take it off when you are the on deck shooter or get a decent holster.

1. Yes

2. No

3. Yes

6 hours ago, HoMiE said:

A lock out Device in the holster is not a retention strap. Read rule 5.2.6. The rules don’t say anything about locking device. 

Ah yes, just says straps, doesnt mention anything else. The wedgies can be entertaining though.

2 hours ago, Brooke said:

Get yourself a GX VICE holster and eliminate all concerns and rule opinions.. Putting bungee around your  holster is like wearing pink panties.

🤣

still don't get the retaining strap rule, how is that still in effect?  especially with open holsters where if the gun goes up just an inch it's gone.

and whomever told you you need to bungee your gun at the start, to quote john mcenroe, surely cannot be serious.

21 hours ago, Chuck Anderson said:

As as far as deciding what the rules mean, I think I’m gonna listen to Gary Stevens over bret. Don’t know bret’s background, but I do know Gary’s and there are few people I trust more on the rules than him. 

Amen. A solid, reliable source. And though we've had some fun with hammer-and-tong-level discussions (he's a feisty little cuss:D), I also trust George's opinion on this, too.

But even if I didn't know either of these two gents, I'd still know the wording is clear. I'm comfortable with my understanding of the word, "permanent" and in what manner it would or would not apply here.

The idea that a removable strap could be equated to a permanently-affixed retaining device is inventive, but not palatable.

13 minutes ago, ima45dv8 said:

The idea that a removable strap could be equated to a permanently-affixed retaining device is inventive, but not palatable.

but is it feasible or plausible...

I use the same thing for the same reason.

Keep using it. Next time an RO gives you grief show them how it’s not permanently attached and they should leave you alone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

23 hours ago, Joe4d said:

con·tra·dic·tion

/ˌkäntrəˈdikSH(ə)n/

noun

Which brings up an interesting point. I used to shoot with a CR speedHolster has a retention position,, and a lock switch,, other brands do as well,,, Often they are a source of entertainment when shooters, ( myself included) forget about the lock and give themselves an atomic wedgie at the draw.

An interesting  holster to mention. Even with the lock in place on the CR Speed you can still knock the gun out. Just have to apply a bit of force in the right direction. Was sitting with Larry Weeks at the FN 3Gun and he was telling me how secure his holster was. Tap, tap tap and out it fell. 

9 minutes ago, Chuck Anderson said:

An interesting  holster to mention. Even with the lock in place on the CR Speed you can still knock the gun out. Just have to apply a bit of force in the right direction. Was sitting with Larry Weeks at the FN 3Gun and he was telling me how secure his holster was. Tap, tap tap and out it fell. 

First tip I got when switching to Open was, DO NOT go with CRSpeed holster because they are not secure enough.

10 hours ago, Chuck Anderson said:

that's a "feature" no atomic wedgie if you forget to "unlock?" it

1 minute ago, MikeBurgess said:

this is true. You can actually pull through the lock if you are determined. It takes a pretty good yank on mine tho. We haven't had any issue in almost a year with the guns coming out when not yanked hard tho. But if it's dusty at all, I tend to bag the gun between stages anyway.

34 minutes ago, MikeBurgess said:

Nope, push it straight forward from the rear. Pops right out. Yes you can pull up through the lock as well, but this is the wrong direction for that. 

Back to the original topic and something that just came to mind: lots of folks use a gun cover of some sort to keep dust off of their gun between stages. Every one I have ever seen also goes around the holster as well, which would provide some level of extra retention, and they are DEFINITELY not permanently attached to the holster. 

Has anyone ever seen an RO make a shooter start with the cover on?

2 hours ago, HCH said:

Back to the original topic and something that just came to mind: lots of folks use a gun cover of some sort to keep dust off of their gun between stages. Every one I have ever seen also goes around the holster as well, which would provide some level of extra retention, and they are DEFINITELY not permanently attached to the holster

Has anyone ever seen an RO make a shooter start with the cover on?

No, but I’ve never seen an RO try to start someone with a bungee on either. 

On 7/6/2019 at 3:04 PM, bret said:

An email from Troy is not a ruling, it is just his opinion and unless he is the RM at the match it doesn't matter what he said.

5.2.5.3 says you must use it.

If DNROI makes an Actual ruling then it would be ok.

LOL wut?