Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Looking for a 1911 9 mm - Recommendations

cds43016

When I shot bullseye, I had two accurized 1911s. They were both 45 ACP and tack drivers.

I no longer shoot bullseye and have sold off my bullseye guns.  I now shoot just for fun with 9 mm, 357 Mag and 22 LR.

I reload for my three 9 mm guns, a Smith & Wesson 986, a Sig Sauer P210 and a Walther PPQ Q5. To keep things simple, I shoot the same reload in all three guns.  All are very kind to the brass and accurate even with the shared reload.

I miss the 1911 and would like another in 9 mm.  My stepson has an RIA 1911 in 9 mm. It’s hard on brass.  I can’t resize it down enough to fit a Wilson or a Shockbottle 9mm case gauge.  Other than that, it shoots great.  It treats brass like a Glock.  The chamber is not fully supported.

This won’t work for me and I would like a 1911 that I can add to my 9 mm stable that treats the brass kindly so I can share brass and reloads between my guns. I’m too old for added complexity.

I only know that Les Baer lists a supported chamber for their 9 mm 1911s.  Are there any others?  I’m looking for a 5-inch 1911 with fully adjustable sights and supported chamber..

Thanks!!

Edited by cds43016
added supported chamber

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Other than custom built to your specs!

Dan Wesson PM-9

Springfield Armory loaded "Target"  has adjustable rear sight and front cocking serration, NM frame supposed to be US built etc

Front serrations are the easiest way to tell it apart from the 

SA Range officer

DW will only need trigger adjusted to your preference and whatever front sight, magwell and mag release upgrades you want

Both SA will probably need the upgrades and an "IGNITION SET" if you want a trigger under 3lbs that is long lived and reliable 

Just one mans opinion

I've handled a few of the non-custom shop Rugers, and they felt pretty decent for a factory 1911.  But for the price I saw on the custom shop ones (around $1.9k IIRC), there are a lot of better options out there.  I know actual street price will be lower, but even at $1.3 to $1.5K, I cant say I'd jump on one.   

D.W. pm9mm 👍

friend find one in .45" and i checked it. it was the best quality 1911 that i saw.all burs and corners was removed in factory by fine stone and not by files

like make all 1911 manufacturers.

I don't have a dog in this fight  If I didn't build my own, Dan Wesson is what I'd buy for a 'factory' pistol.  Sig Custom Shop would be my second choice (not traditional slide).

We have 4+ Springfield Loaded Target 9mm 1911s.  Depending on your application you'll want a trigger job; even Springfield won't go below 4 lbs without changing out the ignition set for tool steel.  Reliability has been excellent in Steel Challenge and between our two primary guns I'm sure we're well over 100K rounds.  RN rounds are my preference.  FP rounds cycle fine, but chambering the first round often produces a bit of a shudder (both 147gr FP and 124gr TC);  the feed ramps are of course polished.  If you're doing something with a PF requirement you can run some unbelievably soft loads with 100% reliability.

Avoid Oriskany Arms. I made the mistake of purchasing a 5" 1911 in 9mm. The pistol had both FTFs and FTEs. After 3 trips to the factory for warranty work and quite a bit of pressure from me, the company refunded the purchase price. Very disappointed in the experience.