Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Barrel break in

blacklab

9 hours ago, Frankly said:

I want a picture of a chapped Tiger's ass,

For only $.99 a day you can help save the tigers ass from getting chapped. So please send your money today. Everyday that the tiger's ass is chapped is one day too many. With your donation we'll send you a picture of the tigers chapped ass that you will be helping.

Brought to you by the:

Chapped Tiger's Ass Foundation 

:roflol:😉😂

Edited by blacklab

23 hours ago, TonytheTiger said:

This is the part about break in arguments that always chaps my ass. 

It cleans easier than what? A duplicate blank that was made consecutively out of the same lot of steel and chambered by the same smith and then fired at exactly the same rate with the same ammo with the only difference being one was broken in and one wasn't? Because thats the only way you could really make that argument seeing as how no two barrels are alike enough to make such a definitive statement. 

I don't care what you want to do with your barrels and I won't argue for or against break in. But since no one has come up with a quantifiable method of proving their theories its bothersome to see people speak with such certainty.

lol, 

my thoughts as well, besides the chapped ass thing

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Buy the correct bore guide for your action, and then use a quality cleaning rod and bronze brushes. More barrels are destroyed with improper cleaning than by shooting. Let the barrel tell you what it needs. Shot it one time, and then run a patch  soaked with boretech down the barrel and let it set for a 30 mintues or so. Run another soaked patch down the barrel and set how much blue(cooper) you getting out...if first patch gets most of copper, I'll fire and clean this way for 3 shots and then carry rifle to a match. My Leder barrel that I just installed on my 300WSM 1000 yard rifle cleaned after the very first patch. I've had others that I had to fired 10 or more times cleaning between each until barrel shown broken in..After you clean your barrel, then use a chamber mop to clean/dry your chamber out. Don't forget to lube your bolt lugs at each cleaning as well.

This is the procedures that most of my McMillan Team mates use as well - between the 6 or us, we'll install and break in an average of 25-30 barrels a year.

Edited by falconpilot