Jump to content
Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Recommended Posts

Are they sending you RMA labels to ship back or are you having to foot the bill to send it in? I was told I had to send in my LCO if I wanted them to fix it, kinda s#!tty for a $600 optic

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Akkid17 said:

Are they sending you RMA labels to ship back or are you having to foot the bill to send it in? I was told I had to send in my LCO if I wanted them to fix it, kinda s#!tty for a $600 optic

Leupold has the same form for all types of optics that only says "ship to this address", with no prepaid label.

 

I just paid to ship the AF series DPP that lasted less than 1,000 rounds. My plan is to keep sending it back until they do it right. I have a slide cut for DPP footprint so it's either that or SIG Romeo 1 Pro that does not exist yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, lstange said:

Leupold has the same form for all types of optics that only says "ship to this address", with no prepaid label.

 

I just paid to ship the AF series DPP that lasted less than 1,000 rounds. My plan is to keep sending it back until they do it right. I have a slide cut for DPP footprint so it's either that or SIG Romeo 1 Pro that does not exist yet.

That's pretty unfortunate that a big company is having so many issues and will put the cost to send in a defective product onto the customer. I have had pretty good luck with the deltapoints that I have had, one was on a shotgun, side dot on an open rifle, one on a PCC that is now getting moved over to the x5 legion. The girlfriend has also had one on her PPQ Q5 and has held up over the last year and a half probably in the 3000-4000 round mark. All in all it seems like a bit of a crap shoot as to whether or not you get 10000 rounds or less than 1K before it craps out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Of the four that I had to ship back for repairs - I think they paid for shipping on one of them. I think they felt bad that two of my 3 units were down at the same time.

But I would agree - considering how frequently these things are going out for competition shooters, perhaps they should be paying the postage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/25/2019 at 4:21 AM, eboadway said:

About 600 minor 9mm rounds into it and the dot cut out. Ugh. Will they repair with an updated version at this point?

IMG_0354.jpeg

To prevent the springy contact from sliding back under recoil, I cut a narrow strip of transparent plastic packaging (about 0.5 mm thick) and slid it below the contact so that the ends are over the sticker. Don't know how long this contraption will last.

2019_0731_3269.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/31/2019 at 8:08 PM, lstange said:

To prevent the springy contact from sliding back under recoil, I cut a narrow strip of transparent plastic packaging (about 0.5 mm thick) and slid it below the contact so that the ends are over the sticker. Don't know how long this contraption will last.

2019_0731_3269.jpg

Couldn't you just solder that in place and solve the problem?

 

It blows my mind that it's not soldered from the factory.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, SV650Squid said:

Couldn't you just solder that in place and solve the problem?

 

It blows my mind that it's not soldered from the factory.

 

I believe that center contact needs to move a little, it acts like a spring against the battery.  one or two contacts could be soldered, that would also probably fix the issue. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Based on my discussion with a friend in the industry, it would appear Leupold has stop selling the Delta Point Pro. They are unable to obtain them from wholesalers and the only units you are seeing available online are from existing wholesaler stock. 

 

I am curious if anyone else has even more insider information. I suspect a re-design?

 

Meanwhile, my wife and I have been running our Delta Point Pros on our Razorcats for over 15,000 rounds without one single issue. It would seem the Carry Optic slide mounted units are failing at a higher rate than the regular frame mounted units. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Nevadazielmeister said:

It would seem the Carry Optic slide mounted units are failing at a higher rate than the regular frame mounted units. 

This makes sense. You can see that the contact slides back, which means that it happens when the side stops at the rearmost point of the recoil cycle. Frame-mounted sight is not subjected to that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, SV650Squid said:

Couldn't you just solder that in place and solve the problem?

It would also probably void the warranty.

 

I’m also not sure how strong those contact traces are. Leaving some play may be better than rigid attachment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My contact plate slid back exactly like this....turn around 3 1/2 weeks....cool huh?

My fifth DPP repair......over and out!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TANFARM said:

My contact plate slid back exactly like this....turn around 3 1/2 weeks....cool huh?

My fifth DPP repair......over and out!!

 

With you breaking 5 Delta Point Pro's and me and my wife not having any issues, maybe you are doing something wrong? 

 

It just seems strange that you have so many problems and and yet so many others don't.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Nevadazielmeister said:

It just seems strange that you have so many problems and and yet so many others don't.

 

I suspect it has to do with which version DPP you have.  Would be interesting to see which one you have that has not had issues.

 

Quote

DP Pro units have a manufacturing date code, which is the last two letters of the serial number. Units with AB, AC and AD are safest. AF units have the small decal which is causing reliability issues, and AE units are hit and miss.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, GregJ said:

 

I suspect it has to do with which version DPP you have.  Would be interesting to see which one you have that has not had issues.

 

 

 

Both of them end in "AE", so in the middle of all of these problems some are having. As stated before, it seems to have more to do with the slide mounted uses. Anyone can break any optic with enough abuse. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Update on my redneck engineering: 1,010 rounds since installation, contact still in the center, red dot still works. Same gun, same ammo, same shooter, same AF series. So far no word from Leupold on my other DPP that broke before reaching 1k rounds.

 

This looks really bad for Leupold. I find it unlikely that AF series that is being sold now on commercial market is the same as what passed trials to be accepted by US Marshals and for the army to require DPP cut on M17. I strongly suspect that either Leopold or (more likely) their supplier cut corners relatively recently. Suppliers are known to do cost optimization to just barely pass acceptance tests. They have whole engineering departments that try to find the cheapest parts that still pass, as  documented in "Badly made in China" book.

 

According to their web site, Leupold tests all sights on the same stand that simulates 3x the recoil of .308 rifle. A rifle only accelerates the sight back, forward acceleration is negligible. This explains why AF series DPP work fine on rifles or when frame mounted on pistols, but not when slide mounted on pistols.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have 3 that end with AD , frame mounted and no issues with a lot of use. A couple of Friends shooting CO are sending them back constantly for repairs , i hope they get these issues sorted. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, eboadway said:

Does the AD version use the tape?

 I think they all do.  IIRC, the earlier versions had the tabs clocked differently than later versions. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Greg, get a cmore they’re just down the road from you. Service is OUTSTANDING, they have a new version 5 with additional auto shutoff. Newer version coming out at shot show this January. Don’t know all the details yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, jstagn said:

Greg, get a cmore they’re just down the road from you. Service is OUTSTANDING, they have a new version 5 with additional auto shutoff. Newer version coming out at shot show this January. Don’t know all the details yet.

 

Dang, never knew they were that close!  If I hadnt already put an SRO on, I would have considered them.   tks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Brand new DPP and 700 rounds later, boom! Dang dot went out on me today. Looks like the metal battery contact slide all the back. Called leupold and was told to send it in and they had a update that would fix this problem. Guy said it was basically a beefed up board and connector. Fingers crossed it doesn’t take too long. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Superpipe9 said:

Brand new DPP and 700 rounds later, boom! Dang dot went out on me today. Looks like the metal battery contact slide all the back. Called leupold and was told to send it in and they had a update that would fix this problem. Guy said it was basically a beefed up board and connector. Fingers crossed it doesn’t take too long. 

 

Sorry about your failure with the DPP. Do you mind commenting on what you were using it on? How it was mounted, etc? 

 

Just curious. I guess the good news is that Leupold is willing to replace/repair it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Nevadazielmeister said:

 

Sorry about your failure with the DPP. Do you mind commenting on what you were using it on? How it was mounted, etc? 

 

Just curious. I guess the good news is that Leupold is willing to replace/repair it. 

Mounted to a cz P10f using the CZC mounting plate. Running 131PF ammo and a 11# spring

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My new DPP has the same issue after about 1000 rounds. I just spoke with tech support, and they sent me a pre-paid label to return it. I mentioned that I'd heard they had a fix for this issue, and the tech support person replied "We do." 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, BillR1 said:

My new DPP has the same issue after about 1000 rounds. I just spoke with tech support, and they sent me a pre-paid label to return it. I mentioned that I'd heard they had a fix for this issue, and the tech support person replied "We do." 

Fingers crossed. I sent mine out yesterday 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...