Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Did I buy a unicorn 16.40 some help

DEADEYE

Ok I have a good bit of experience with paras and what's happened in the last 2 years. First, for magwell Cheely still makes them. I do believe he even has them in stock right now. You want the one with the delrin insert. Mags, the Taylor Freelance setup DOES NOT work on para mags. It will get you 19 reloadable on the mags from rock island. Dawson no longer makes ANYTHING that is para specific. Stopped about a year ago and I bought the last 5 mag extensions they had. But the good news. I ran 2 different para 16-40 guns for 2 years and ran para and STI mags with no issues. The guy I sold one of my guns to now runs the same STI mags fpr his 2011 and para. My mags were setup with STI tube, grams guts and TTI base pads. If you buy that setup its 110 at ben stoeger pro shop. Nobody makes and extended mag release for the para or a aftermarket trigger for them either anymore. 

To be honest I sold both mine and all the mags to buy a used STI Edge because the aftermarket is GONE. I had thought it would come back because of rock island and remington but it hasnt. 
I have been told the Remington mags will work just have had the time or $$ to buy any. I found a guy on you tube who works with the Rock Islands and supposedly some of his stuff will work.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have been told the Remington mags will work just have had the time or $$ to buy any. I found a guy on you tube who works with the Rock Islands and supposedly some of his stuff will work.

Hayes custom..

On 7/6/2019 at 12:27 PM, DEADEYE said:

Mags are another issue do you have a source I ain't spending 120.00 for. Mag.

Did you do any research into 2011s at all before this purchase?

All of them require mags that are $100+ each. Even the newer ones with good aftermarket support.

• 3 weeks later...

I just bought 4 REAL P16 bodies from Numrich.  $13 a piece.  No Crap.  I also bought the last 3 S&A magwells S&A had.  I had my P16s milled for the S&A.  Now the guns take a various amount of mag base pad combos.  I can run Dawson and I get 20 reloadable.  I can run Dawson's on the $20 MecGar mags and get 19.  I have 12 H2G Para mags and 20+ MecGars.  So I am set for a while.

I load to 1.178" COL Blue Bullets 180.  I am getting 100% reliability.  

I have an ICE magwell and extra insert laying around now with no home.  This combo worked fine with MBX mags or Canadian Para tubes and Dawson Base pads.

The MBXs were not 100% for me.  If I ran the gun dry, it would swallow the follower into the chamber.  It was a show stopper.  Really nasty. I could just not make a go of it.  Seemed like a really good product.  I was told to get Grams followers.  Could never find any.  Sold them off.   Went down the S&A route and have never looked back.

I just bought 4 REAL P16 bodies from Numrich.  $13 a piece.  No Crap.  I also bought the last 3 S&A magwells S&A had.  I had my P16s milled for the S&A.  Now the guns take a various amount of mag base pad combos.  I can run Dawson and I get 20 reloadable.  I can run Dawson's on the $20 MecGar mags and get 19.  I have 12 H2G Para mags and 20+ MecGars.  So I am set for a while.

I load to 1.178" COL Blue Bullets 180.  I am getting 100% reliability.  

I have an ICE magwell and extra insert laying around now with no home.  This combo worked fine with MBX mags or Canadian Para tubes and Dawson Base pads.

The MBXs were not 100% for me.  If I ran the gun dry, it would swallow the follower into the chamber.  It was a show stopper.  Really nasty. I could just not make a go of it.  Seemed like a really good product.  I was told to get Grams followers.  Could never find any.  Sold them off.   Went down the S&A route and have never looked back.

What do you want for the extra mag well?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

On 8/8/2019 at 7:23 AM, MemphisMechanic said:

Did you do any research into 2011s at all before this purchase?

All of them require mags that are $100+ each. Even the newer ones with good aftermarket support.

no i did not it was kind of a impulse buy at a local LGS...

I have the two factory magazines ... an MBX and two SPS mags (w/ Grams baseplates). I originally had Grams springs and followers in the SPS bodies but got some inertia feed near the end of the magazine ... (Switching to the real SPS followers/springs cleared that all up).

They all work great ... the factory are good w/ you start a stage w/ a low count - mandatory reload routine ... or for a rear pouch safety mag. You ("I") don't really need three 19/20 round mags to shoot a stage. I'm sure I could get by w/ just one MBX (or SPS) and one factory. 

Anyhow ... you can still buy the MBX and you can still buy the SPS (bodies/parts/whatever). I also picked up the "better" (IMHO) magwell on ebay (got two so just in case ... paid $40 each). 

I ordered the SPS parts right from Spain ... they added about $2.50 in transaction fee to my credit card because it was a foreign transaction. 

https://spsshop.es/en/tienda/magazines/mg-to-fit-para-ord/mgha140-140mm-hi-cap-mag-alu-pad-to-fit-para-ord/

https://mbxextreme.com/index.php?page=ParaMags

edit: found some factory mags ...

https://gunmagwarehouse.com/remington-1911-r1-40-s-w-18-round-blued-steel-magazine.html

ParaMags.thumb.jpg.f906b459f924a4ec92f8e2ded11da10b.jpg Para00A.thumb.jpg.246343482f7e39b97694c157a31fbab3.jpg

Edited by pete627
edit: added another factory mag link ...

I haven’t shot USPSA in 15 years...wow, it’s been a long time...but when I did, it was with a P16.40.  Seems like I have an antique now. I’ve kept it all these years just in case I ever got back into USPSA....I might get rich if I would part it out! 

I never had a problem with mine. 

• 1 month later...

I have been shooting a P16 for a good 15 years. Did add a bull barrel, S&A magwell and Grams Basepads. Reliability is fantastic (40,000 rounds) with a 13lb spring and 180 Gr bullets. The steel frame is a definite advantage in terms of soft recoil and smooth action. with a 140 mag I can fit 22 rounds and one in the chamber - unfortunately one short for a 24 round course but gives more reloading options. Mine has a standard extractor but you can change the para power extractor with a insert. Do not let anyone tell you it is non-competitive. It is accurate, stable and yet transitions very well. Remington mags and parts fit so there is a source - Remington and REM mags are available for about $35 from some vendors. We recently built a Para long slide 40 and were able to get all the parts we need with just a little shopping.

I would say keep it and keep the secret about how good they are.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/1/2019 at 3:53 AM, pete627 said:

I have the two factory magazines ... an MBX and two SPS mags (w/ Grams baseplates). I originally had Grams springs and followers in the SPS bodies but got some inertia feed near the end of the magazine ... (Switching to the real SPS followers/springs cleared that all up).

They all work great ... the factory are good w/ you start a stage w/ a low count - mandatory reload routine ... or for a rear pouch safety mag. You ("I") don't really need three 19/20 round mags to shoot a stage. I'm sure I could get by w/ just one MBX (or SPS) and one factory. 

Anyhow ... you can still buy the MBX and you can still buy the SPS (bodies/parts/whatever). I also picked up the "better" (IMHO) magwell on ebay (got two so just in case ... paid $40 each). 

I ordered the SPS parts right from Spain ... they added about $2.50 in transaction fee to my credit card because it was a foreign transaction. 

https://spsshop.es/en/tienda/magazines/mg-to-fit-para-ord/mgha140-140mm-hi-cap-mag-alu-pad-to-fit-para-ord/

https://mbxextreme.com/index.php?page=ParaMags

edit: found some factory mags ...

https://gunmagwarehouse.com/remington-1911-r1-40-s-w-18-round-blued-steel-magazine.html

ParaMags.thumb.jpg.f906b459f924a4ec92f8e2ded11da10b.jpg Para00A.thumb.jpg.246343482f7e39b97694c157a31fbab3.jpg

Are they VZ grips?

• 7 months later...

Sorry to ressurect an old thread, but I have the opportunity to purchase a P16 for $650 with 7 mags and after reading the thread here I am wondering if I wouldn't just be buying trouble. How did it go for you OP?

Just now, Beryxil said:

Sorry to ressurect an old thread, but I have the opportunity to purchase a P16 for $650 with 7 mags and after reading the thread here I am wondering if I wouldn't just be buying trouble. How did it go for you OP?

What submodel, approximate age, etc. also, do the mags have basepads or are they stock?

at that price I don’t think you could go wrong. 

58 minutes ago, HCH said:

What submodel, approximate age, etc. also, do the mags have basepads or are they stock?

at that price I don’t think you could go wrong. 

It is the P16-40 Limited. The seller bought it 2014 from another owner, but guesses that it is around 10 years old.

Well those Mecgars arnt gonna work with a  bolt on funnel  no matter which pads you get. They are too short.  Looks like 2 have dawson pads, made for dawson funnels. I think both are now discontinued.  With the "X" on the side, does if have the propriety extractor ? I think EGW still has the upgrade sleeve for it, but maybe not in 40.
Issues I would solve before I purchased.
Can I find a funnel, 
Can I get a new extractor.
Can I get a few more functioning 140 mm 20 round mags

10 minutes ago, Joe4d said:

Well those Mecgars arnt gonna work with a  bolt on funnel  no matter which pads you get. They are too short.  Looks like 2 have dawson pads, made for dawson funnels. I think both are now discontinued.  With the "X" on the side, does if have the propriety extractor ? I think EGW still has the upgrade sleeve for it, but maybe not in 40.
Can I find a funnel, 

Good thinking. Time to do some googling. 😀

After searching considerably, I was not really able to find anything. I am sure with scouring the far corners, I might be able to find the parts, but it looks like it might be more trouble than it is worth. I was thinking it might be an inexpensive way to get into limited, but perhaps I'll spend the money on a few upgrades for my Glock 35 and see how much I like shooting limited. 

Thanks for the input.

5 hours ago, Joe4d said:

Can I find a funnel, 

• 2 months later...

Ironically enough, exactly one year ago I posted that I hadn't shot USPSA in 15 years...well, yesterday I shot a match! I forgot how much fun it is. 

Didn't do great, but the P16 run like a champ. For some reason I have always shot that gun very well. 

On the last stage, it felt a little 'gummy' and sluggish. When I cleaned it after I got home, I found out the old shok buf in it had totally disintegrated...might should have checked that BEFORE I shot it.