Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

FAT Wrench Question

GregInAtl

I am thinking of getting a new FAT wrench.  The wrench I am thinking of getting is digital and has a range of 15-100 ft/lbs. There is an analog version that goes from 12-60 ft/lbs. I would prefer to get a digital FAT wrench but S&W says the torque should be 12 ft/lbs.  Would the 15ft lbs instead of 12 ft lbs likely make much difference on the gun (like break the screws). I think most FAT wrenched have a margin of error of 1  or 2%anyway, don't they?

Edited by GregInAtl

2 minutes ago, mwray said:

I have one and it has been money well spent. I don’t think they weight difference will break the crew unless it’s aluminum

You have the Wheeler? Is it the digital one?

On ‎7‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 7:48 AM, GregInAtl said:

I am thinking of getting a new FAT wrench.  The wrench I am thinking of getting is digital and has a range of 15-100 ft/lbs. There is an analog version that goes from 12-60 ft/lbs. I would prefer to get a digital FAT wrench but S&W says the torque should be 12 ft/lbs.  Would the 15ft lbs instead of 12 ft lbs likely make much difference on the gun (like break the screws). I think most FAT wrenched have a margin of error of 1  or 2%anyway, don't they?

I think you mean inch/lbs.  If you can do 100 ft/lbs with a screwdriver, I don't want to shake hands with you!!!!!

18 hours ago, Ming the Merciless said:

I think you mean inch/lbs.  If you can do 100 ft/lbs with a screwdriver, I don't want to shake hands with you!!!!!

Yah, your're right I meant inch/lbs

• 2 weeks later...

3 in/lb of torque is equal to  0.25 ft/lbs. Considering your looking at the 12 in/lb range with a ferrous fastener of which is just "snug" in layman's terms ...other than NASA assemblies or fasteners of #4 and smaller thats an acceptable margin of error without concern. 

Edited by BallisticianX

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/1/2019 at 6:28 AM, verla said:

Take a look at the Vortex optics torque wrench- it is great and very easy to use. Gradations from 10 to 110 in/lbs.

adjustable in 1 in/lb increments

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I would skip the Chinese "precision" tools. CDI is Snap-On's consumer-available line. Not cheap, but you get what you pay for when it comes to tools.

I got mine a few years ago for $150.00. Worth every penny. And if you drop it, you can get it re-calibrated if necessary.