Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Red dot placement?

Canman

Using a C-More on my Ruger Mark IV 22.45 light the sight was about half way to the front of the rail.   I have since switched to a Vortex Venom with 6 minute dot and hve it mounted on the dovetail with an EGW mount.  The advantage, Easier to center targets, the dot appears larger.  I was using a 12 minute dot on the C-More but the 6, up close seems to be about the same.

I also like the battery life of the Venom.  My C-Mores took a new battery every month while this sight has lasted me about 6 months so far.

Mark IVs with new magazines.jpg

My custom 22 conversion has a pad for mounting the dot at the rear of the slide, so I have no choice but to use it there.  On my Marvel conversion I can mount the dot anywhere along the rail.  I've found that when I mount it forward, it is an advantage for close shots.  For example, on S&H if you see white and pull the trigger, you'll hit.  You don't need to see the dot.

I don't notice any difference in finding the dot either way.  My Open gun has a frame mounted dot, so that is more forward as well.

Try both and see which you like better.

The way the ‘eyebox’ works for red dots, it literally does not matter except how big the housing looks, which shouldn’t matter much if you’re shooting both eyes open.  

On a rifle, you can mount it on the tip of the handguard and the eyebox is the same as if it was on the back of the receiver.  

Don’t overthink it.