Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Slide Manufacturer

Hey all,

Just thought I'd share what I found, been waiting forever for JEM to get back up and running, but these might be a good alternative. Atlas released them yesterday as far as I know. I think Atlas is making their own slides now and selling some bald and have pre cut ones in the works. 

https://atlasgunworks.com/product/atlas-gunworks-slide-5-unique-bald/

Edited by Midwest3Gunner
Forgot a sentence.

5 minutes ago, Mytmousemalibu said:

I think Atlas might be doing their own frames too. My freshly built Open gun doesn't have any PT markings on it at least. It has the Atlas logo where it would say PT at least. I don't know if PT has any distinct marks or cuts to identify it otherwise. 

I know JEM will do variance work (put other logos/names on frames) and they'll do all the paperwork for it. Maybe Atlas is doing something like that, or just producing their own like you said.

Like @Mytmousemalibu said, Adam is big on trying to manufacture in house so he can control quality. But sticking up for Atlas's manufacturing process isnt the purpose of the thread, it's to let builders know that there might be a quality alternative to JEM slides while his machine is down since STI and Caspian slides aren't quite up to snuff right now. 

Always good to have options! Much better to have competing manufacturers than a monopoly and no choice! 

I'm going to start buying parts here and there to build a 9mm open gun. I'd love to have Adam's external extractor slide for it. Might get a slide & frame for Atlas for it. Possibly Tripp or PT too.

3 hours ago, Maximis228 said:

More Dasan slides and frames... yay...

You're probably right 👍

i don't  think that price  of  US made slides  will be  lower than 200 usd

but  Dasan have very good quality slides. 

Edited by yigal

13 minutes ago, geraldskip said:

If you are looking for well made slides,

Warwick Tactical mills their slides in house. 

Ive owner two of their guns and they have been great. I’d highly recommend them. 

I know Warwick Tactical sells short block kits, but do you know if they sell bald slides by themselves?

4 minutes ago, Dranoel said:

Caspian is still made in the USA and wait times are 4-6 wks depending on the options you choose.

Ugh. 

I’ve broken more Caspian slides than I can easily remember.  As a matter of fact, I have a broken one on a limited gun laying in the safe right now. 

I wish they it wasn’t the case, but they just never held up. 

Fascinating.  I been using them for more than 20 yrs and never had one fail. Some of my guns have over 10K rnds and a couple 38 supers that have fired major loads since the first round.

I'd love to see some pics of the failures.

Edited by Dranoel

14 minutes ago, Dranoel said:

Fascinating.  I been using them for more than 20 yrs and never had one fail. Some of my guns have over 10K rnds and a couple 38 supers that have fired major loads since the first round.

I busted mine in very short order and was very disappointed in the tooling marks and geometry. 

10k rounds? That's a good month or two. 

Drilled a giant stop hole in mine in an attempt to get one more match out of it. 

20190704_185539.jpg

28 minutes ago, Dranoel said:

10k rounds? Add another zero and I’d be impressed :)  

I’m not positive I’ve ever gotten a full two seasons out of one.  When I was shooting more seriously, 1200-1500 rounds a week was the norm. 

Broke an STI slide on a Bedell limited gun. Cracked the caspian slide that replaced it. 

Cracked a caspian on a Lonestar Limited gun, the caspian that replaced it failed around the FP stop cut, and a piece broke off. And I have a caspian slide limited gun in my safe that cracked about a year ago. 

My wife has also cracked a couple of caspian slides on Open guns. I’m not even sure that’s all of them. 

So, you can see how my opinion has been formed. 

All of our guns are built on PT slides now, and we have not had a failure yet. One of which is one of the first prototype PT slides on a limited gun that has many more rounds on it than any of my previous guns did. It’s purposefully Swiss cheesed, and still has not failed. 

On 7/3/2019 at 2:17 PM, geraldskip said:

If you are looking for well made slides,

Warwick Tactical mills their slides in house. 

Ive owner two of their guns and they have been great. I’d highly recommend them. 

Arent Warwick slides taller than a standard 1911 slide?

1 hour ago, theWacoKid said:

I busted mine in very short order and was very disappointed in the tooling marks and geometry. 

10k rounds? That's a good month or two. 

Drilled a giant stop hole in mine in an attempt to get one more match out of it. 

20190704_185539.jpg

Fair enough, but I see a lot of slide lightening and thin areas that I know didn't come from Caspian.

As for tooling marks and geometry, I never seen a slide with unusual tooling marks. Even the Foster stuff (Caspians cosmetic blems) it's damn hard to find the flaw that kept it from the Caspian name. I have a couple Foster frames that I spent hours LOOKING for the blem and never found it.

Did you get the slide directly from Caspian?

3 minutes ago, Dranoel said:

Fair enough, but I see a lot of slide lightening and thin areas that I know didn't come from Caspian.

As for tooling marks and geometry, I never seen a slide with unusual tooling marks. Even the Foster stuff (Caspians cosmetic blems) it's damn hard to find the flaw that kept it from the Caspian name. I have a couple Foster frames that I spent hours LOOKING for the blem and never found it.

Did you get the slide directly from Caspian?

If it can't be lightened I don't want it. So I don't use them anymore. 

Tooling marks were lots of tears and gouges in critical and hard to clean up areas. Breech face geometry was never right and it was the hardest slide to get running from everything I've tried. Don't waste time convincing me, I've moved on. 

3 minutes ago, theWacoKid said:

If it can't be lightened I don't want it. So I don't use them anymore. 

Tooling marks were lots of tears and gouges in critical and hard to clean up areas. Breech face geometry was never right and it was the hardest slide to get running from everything I've tried. Don't waste time convincing me, I've moved on. 

All of this. 

D, Caspian slides suck as far as machining goes.  They suck worse dimensionally, as in they have no idea what parallel means.  They also have no idea what sharp tools means.  They are made by contractors.  There is no uniformity, no consistency.  After the last one I would not use another even if I got it for free.  It's amazing you have an opinion since you haven't even broken yours in yet.