Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which Pistol for Limited

nso123

It depends on what else you want to shoot with the pistol.  If you only shoot SCSA, why not just use a single-stack 1911.  You can buy a super good one for a lot less than a mediocre 2011.

If you also want to shoot USPSA Limited, you want either a CZ 75 TS/TSO or a 2011.  The TS will run right out of the box.  The 2011 may or may not depending on brand and who you bought it from.

I just built a custom 1911 9mm Open gun specifically for Steel Challenge.  I could have used one of my custom wide-body Open guns, but I wanted a single-stack.

7 minutes ago, zzt said:

It depends on what else you want to shoot with the pistol.  If you only shoot SCSA, why not just use a single-stack 1911.  You can buy a super good one for a lot less than a mediocre 2011.

If you also want to shoot USPSA Limited, you want either a CZ 75 TS/TSO or a 2011.  The TS will run right out of the box.  The 2011 may or may not depending on brand and who you bought it from.

I just built a custom 1911 9mm Open gun specifically for Steel Challenge.  I could have used one of my custom wide-body Open guns, but I wanted a single-stack.

What made you go with the single-stack?  This would be mainly a SC gun. 

31 minutes ago, nso123 said:

Because if you need more than 11 rounds of 9mm your time is already uncompetitive.

For Steel Challenge get a 9mm 1911 and shoot it in Limited and/or Single Stack. Then come over to USPSA matches and shoot Single Stack, or go to IDPA and shoot ESP.

If you like the feel of the 2011 over a 1911 then get the 19-20 grips from DS Perman. It still saves you money and is a better value.

In fact there's a great deal on someone else's 9mm 1911 in the Classifieds right now. I'm amazed it hasn't sold yet:

edit: If you're really unimpressed with the 9mm 1911 idea then the CZ LSP with different safeties

or this Accushadow Lite off GB would be my other preferred choices https://www.gunbroker.com/item/820064831

Edited by belus

I guess I should have included that I understand about the uncompetitive part of needing more than 11 rounds.  I was mainly looking for why the single-stack might be more desirable than the 2011 style.  The CZs just don't seem to interest me too much.  That is a good deal on the DW in that ad.

1 hour ago, nso123 said:

Because I wanted to.  As belus said, you don't need any more than 10 rounds in a mag for SCSA.  Most of the time you only need 5 or 6.  I love the feel of 1911s.  I have two custom and one semi-custom.  I shoot a custom 22 conversion unit on a 1911 for RFPO, and I wanted the same feel for Open.  I will say that once a month I have an SCSA match on Sat and a USPSA match the next day.  Then I'll use the 2011 Open for both.  

Edited by zzt

cause its 1/2 the price,,   maybe less by the time you factor in magazines. with ZERO loss of cmpetitive advantage... 2011's are better because of capacity. Thats it.   Capacity doesnt matter in SC.. Id build a sight tracker or light slide 6" if allowed on a single stack 1911 frame.
Other than that the Walther has a wicked short reset. Might consider a steel frame walther if I could get light recoil springs,,, other wise 1911,, all day every day.. 

1 hour ago, nso123 said:

I was mainly looking for why the single-stack might be more desirable than the 2011 style.  The CZs just don't seem to interest me too much.  That is a good deal on the DW in that ad.

I suggested those CZs because I really like them a primarily Production shooter. The SAO triggers can be wonderful. I dabble in Single Stack too, and they all wear 19-20 grips, which is my 1911 experience.

I really think you'll find better value via higher quality at a given price point in the 1911. If you're looking to minimize weight for a higher price maybe an aluminum/plastic framed 2011 without a magwell can [get] you there, but I don't personally see its advantage. I've drooled over the Briley Platemaster for years.

[edit in brakets]

Edited by belus

Awesome advice so far. I had not really considered that there was not an advantage to the 2011 in this case. Now I am going to have to look at the 9mm 1911 route. 

2 minutes ago, nso123 said:

I am shooting a G34 in production.  I have a .22 that I plan on shooting as well. 

Why not just use the 34 in limited?

8 hours ago, RJH said:

Why not just use the 34 in limited?

^^^^     I always start out with what I've got.      ^^^^^

Why buy something expensive before you know what you want to buy ?

I'd shoot that G34 until I figured out if it was holding me back.     :) 

1 hour ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

^^^^     I always start out with what I've got.      ^^^^^

Why buy something expensive before you know what you want to buy ?

I'd shoot that G34 until I figured out if it was holding me back.     :) 

Right and considering a glock won USPSA lim nats a couple years back shooting major, I wouldn't think a glock shooting sub minor in SC would be much of a disadvantage

14 minutes ago, RJH said:

Right and considering a glock won USPSA lim nats a couple years back shooting major, I wouldn't think a glock shooting sub minor in SC would be much of a disadvantage

Shane and Ashley continue to do quite well with Glocks. Not to mention BobV does ok too😂

18 hours ago, belus said:

Because if you need more than 11 rounds of 9mm your time is already uncompetitive.

For Steel Challenge get a 9mm 1911 and shoot it in Limited and/or Single Stack. Then come over to USPSA matches and shoot Single Stack, or go to IDPA and shoot ESP.

True.

And great advice.

44 minutes ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

So, what are you planning on doing ???

I am looking at doing a single-stack 9mm now. It makes a bit more sense now that I have heard what others say. 

Consider a STI 2011 Edge in 40 S&W that ahs been worked over by Dawson or B Hill. This pistol was made/developed for USPSA limited- very fast, reliable, weight forward, high capacity, etc. Another pistol to consider would be the STI 2011 DVC. Although these guns are expensive, if they are well maintained, they will last one during their shooting career.

10 hours ago, verla said:

Consider a STI 2011 Edge in 40 S&W that ahs been worked over by Dawson or B Hill. This pistol was made/developed for USPSA limited- very fast, reliable, weight forward, high capacity, etc. Another pistol to consider would be the STI 2011 DVC. Although these guns are expensive, if they are well maintained, they will last one during their shooting career.

+1B Hill. 

If you want to spend a little more $$$, the Atlas Gunworks Hyperion, intended as a 9mm gun for 3 gun, seems like it would be a good Limited gun for Steel Challenge.  I'm considering that as a do-all Limited gun for Steel Challenge, Shoot-off matches, USPSA, club practice matches.  The gun was designed as a 9mm shooter and shoots very flat from the videos I've seen.

IMHO,  for steel challenge, singlestack is the way to go, for price/quality and weight. I have an Atlas titan, and it is a wonderful gun for USPSA, but the weight is a real issue for steel challenge, both in the fast wide transitions like smoke and hope or accelerator, and in getting the gun to stop quickly on the more difficult targets.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm on the 1911 band wagon too.

I bought a used SA RO for $500 shipped.  I had a smith in Charleston, SC tri-top it and add front serrations (just because) and added a Brazos fire control kit.  It will probably get EGW thumb and grip safeties this winter.  The fit my hand better than the stock ones from SA.

The reasons are two fold for me: 1911's fit my hand better and expense.  The gun was cheaper.  Mags are cheaper and need little to no tuning.  

Shooting a Prod legal gun/rig or a SS legal gun/rig also give you the option of shooting the same gun twice at a match.  Shoot it Prod/SS and Limited.