Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Unload and show clear command

xdf3

1 minute ago, elguapo said:

If the pistol goes click, range is clear.

If I have a failure to fire in practice or at a match I will pull the trigger a second time, sometimes it will ignite on the second click and sometimes it will not. That is with a Tanfo set for light d.a. pull and the occasional outing with a revolver set up similar. The Tanfo almost always fires on the second click, when that starts to happen it is my signal that it is time to put in a fresh 10# hammer spring, the revolver only seems to fire on the second click about 50% of the time in practice regardless (and at a match you just reload as needed). 

If I am trusted to tell people when the range is clear I am going to take what effort is required to be confident they can trust me to be sure the range is clear. 

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, elguapo said:

If the pistol goes click, range is clear.

You never heard of light strikes on a primer?

I had some yesterday but on second pull they went bang.

Your method can allow someone to holster and walk around with a loaded gun.

You can do it at anytime, but when the RO says "show clear" you MUST show him the empty chamber.  Then you need to wait for and follow the rest of the commands.

I've had a few who tried to do a speed clear and holster job.  It just slows things down for if I didn't "see" a clear chamber I make them go through the whole process again.

I know if they already dropped the hammer and no "bang" happened it's probably clear.  But my job as an RO is to be sure the range is safe.  If I didn't see the clear chamber it could have a round with a dimpled primer that could fire with a second hammer fall.  So for everyone's safety the RO must see the empty chamber.

I've never had anyone give me trouble over it, if someone did and walked off from the stage they would be facing a DQ as the RO had not cleared their firearm and if they got radical about it they could be facing an Unsportsman Like Conduct DQ.

Those that have done it were mostly newer shooters and I just explain that the LAMR and the ULSC portions are not speed contests, take their time, do it right and thoroughly for a better match experience.

Safety is not negotiable.

To avoid any future problems, I’m just going to hand the RO my gun and let him or her clear it from now on. Then they can be 100% sure it is their fault if I’m walking around with a loaded gun. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/3/2019 at 2:55 AM, xdf3 said:

Is there any explicit rule in IPSC that states that a shooter has to wait for Unload and show clear command before unloading and ejecting the round?

Isn't it possible to unload and eject a round anytime after the start signal? Why would it be prohibited?

Wading into this late 🙂 but as mentioned before there is no rule.

You can stop yourself at any time, unload and show clear. You must however wait for the next command of "if clear, hammer down and holster" You'll be scored on the course of fire as shot, so loads of FTE and Uncle Michael visiting.

If you were to drop the hammer, holster and walk away before the RO has seen the empty chamber and called the range clear, you can be called back in a very loud voice. If you continued to walk away you could be DQ'd under 10.6.1 unsportsman like behaviour and failing to follow the reasonable directions of the RO. I've seen top shooters throw a tantrum like a 5 year old because they've blown a stage, storm off and called back and warned. Getting a zero on a stage usually means your comp is over, getting DQ'd means your comp IS over.

Edited by Kiwishoot
speeling bad

The idea of the 2-person check is not to have any ADs at all, ever.

An AD or DQ the next stage over because someone was in a hurry is not an acceptable alternative.

As a lefty, I'm very used to getting re-asked by ROs that wind up on my off side at the end of a run.  Roll eyes, take five or ten seconds to redo it and drive on.