Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Wilson cqb service

m700

I have about 20k rounds though my wilson cqb. It still functions perfect and I have no issues. Is it worth sending it in for a thorough clean and inspection. I was thinking package 2. Is this worth it.

Wilson offers a few packages

1 Overall inspection for functionality, complete disassembly, clean, replace springs, and lubricate  150

2 package 1 plus, complete inspection of everything , test fire   350

3  packages 1&2 plus refinish 550

If you are going to shoot a lot, it makes sense that you should get to the level of being able to do this service yourself.  There are plenty of videos on the internet regarding complete disassembly of a 1911.  You can look at/inspect for cracks and unusual wear yourself.  You can replace the recoil spring, the hammer spring, and the firing pin spring yourself.  You can reassemble everything yourself and test fire.  All in less than an hour.  Then you still have $325 of your $350 left over for ammo and training.

11 minutes ago, tha1000 said:

If you are going to shoot a lot, it makes sense that you should get to the level of being able to do this service yourself.  There are plenty of videos on the internet regarding complete disassembly of a 1911.  You can look at/inspect for cracks and unusual wear yourself.  You can replace the recoil spring, the hammer spring, and the firing pin spring yourself.  You can reassemble everything yourself and test fire.  All in less than an hour.  Then you still have $325 of your $350 left over for ammo and training.

This^ , YouTube is great.

Ok I just ordered another set of springs. I changed 2-of the 3 at around 10k and replaced all parts that weren't bulletproof.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

On 7/2/2019 at 8:20 PM, m700 said:

Ive torn it down a couple times i just thought maybe they would be doing something i wouldnt have noticed.

Pretty sure that service is designed for the fudds that think they’re shooting high volume at 500 rounds a year. 

On 7/2/2019 at 10:20 AM, tha1000 said:

Agreed a 1911 is not that complicated after you have worked on one a few time and they Smith's at Wilson combat are not going to do anything you can't do yourself with a the help of YouTube or a good book on 1911 service.