Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Failure to feed in Glock 34

Hey guys, I’m having a bunch of problems all the sudden with my Glock 34.

The load I’m having problems with is 124 Berry’s RN with 3.5-3.6 gr Titegroup at 1.13-1.142”. I also have a load using Brazos 125gr RN at 1.125-1.13” with 3.5gr Titegroup.

Both of these rounds will not feed consistently at all in Glock 34, but have absolutely no problem feeding in my Glock 19. I have been using all of the same mags for both guns, so I don’t think that is the problem. I always get last round slide lock on the rounds that do go into the chamber so I know it’s not that they’re not cycling the slide all the way either.

Should my next step to take the OAL down some more for the 34?

Iv always loaded all of my 9mm 115gr at 1.13-1.14, and loaded 1,000 of these same 124gr Berry’s with no problems 3b5ee23893edf0ba23c7772b8d9d4db3.jpguntil recently and I’m not sure what’s going on. Any help would be appreciated.

Picture is of a couple of the rounds that wouldn’t feed in the 34

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do the plunk test.. Rounds may be to long based on the bullet profil you are using. 

They all case gauge (I gauge every single round) and the few I plunk test (one or two at the beginning of a loading session) pass the plunk test. Even the four pictured above that were failures passed plunk test. This is why I’m so confused

7 minutes ago, looking4reloadingdeals said:

They all case gauge (I gauge every single round) and the few I plunk test (one or two at the beginning of a loading session) pass the plunk test. Even the four pictured above that were failures passed plunk test. This is why I’m so confused

What exactly is your feeding issue.. 

What exactly is your feeding issue.. 

The rounds jam about half way into the chamber causing that mark on the side of the case. Some I can hit the slide and the round will go the rest of the way into the chamber, and sometimes it’s too stuck and it won’t go in and I have to rack the slide and eject the round

8 minutes ago, looking4reloadingdeals said:

The rounds jam about half way into the chamber causing that mark on the side of the case. Some I can hit the slide and the round will go the rest of the way into the chamber, and sometimes it’s too stuck and it won’t go in and I have to rack the slide and eject the round

Process of elimination.. Does it it happen with all of your mags....

your loads maybe under powdered for the recoil spring being used on the 34. 

Process of elimination.. Does it it happen with all of your mags....
your loads maybe under powdered for the recoil spring being used on the 34. 

My OP pointed out that I use the same mags between the 19 and the 34 so I didn’t think it was the mags. OP also stated that I get slide lock back on last round every time so I don’t think it’s an underpowered round

Hard to tell since it’s just a description and a picture, but I’d say two things are happening. 

1. New Glock chamber is tighter, possibly after market barrel.

2. The bullet has slightly bulged the case as it is seated. .356 size my guess and cases are CBC.

Again hard to tell, but what I’d do is plunk test every finished round in the chamber to see if you can find tight ones prior to shooting. 

Or you could buy a 100 rnd Hundo case gauge. Very good and helps find the poor ones. 

Edited by HesedTech

Hard to tell since it’s just a description and a picture, but I’d say two things are happening. 

1. New Glock chamber is tighter, possibly after market barrel.
2. The bullet has slightly bulged the case as it is seated. .356 size my guess and cases are CBC.

Again hard to tell, but what I’d do is plunk test every finished round in the chamber to see if you can find tight ones prior to shooting. 
Or you could buy a 100 rnd Hundo case gauge. Very good and helps find the poor ones. 

The gun has about 3-4K rounds through it, so I wouldn’t really say it’s a new chamber haha. I’ll try plunking every round and see if I find any that don’t pass.

If that isn’t the case what else would you think? Should I try shortening my OAL or something else?

Seeing the scrape where the bullet base inserts too in the casing is what makes me think it’s a crooked bulge issue combined with a tighter chamber. But it could also be a feed issue where it hangs up because the angle of feed is too steep. While this is rare it could be because the OAL is too long for the feed and ramp angles. 

I had a similar issue with another brand of pistol and had to do two things to get to feed properly. The first was to change bullet profiles, the gun hated a version of FMJHP I was using, and the second was to shorten the OAL until it fed properly every time.

The answer then if all the bullets plunk in the barrel is yes, shorten the OAL. 1.08 - 1.10 is a very common length that works in 9mm.

I am surprised that a stock Glock isn’t feeding well though.

2 hours ago, looking4reloadingdeals said:

My OP pointed out that I use the same mags between the 19 and the 34 so I didn’t think it was the mags. OP also stated that I get slide lock back on last round every time so I don’t think it’s an underpowered round

I bet it's a cycling issue I would up the charge to 3.8gr of TG and give it a try.. Thats what I normally load for 124gr bullets. 

Seeing the scrape where the bullet base inserts too in the casing is what makes me think it’s a crooked bulge issue combined with a tighter chamber. But it could also be a feed issue where it hangs up because the angle of feed is too steep. While this is rare it could be because the OAL is too long for the feed and ramp angles. 

I had a similar issue with another brand of pistol and had to do two things to get to feed properly. The first was to change bullet profiles, the gun hated a version of FMJHP I was using, and the second was to shorten the OAL until it fed properly every time.

The answer then if all the bullets plunk in the barrel is yes, shorten the OAL. 1.08 - 1.10 is a very common length that works in 9mm.

I am surprised that a stock Glock isn’t feeding well though.

I’m surprised as well, Iv never had a feeding problem in my 19, and have only recently come into problems with the 34. I’m going to try some at a shorter OAL and possibly some at a higher charge. Do you reduce tour charge when you’re dropping OAL like that? I’m at the min charge so I’m not terribly worried about building too much more pressure, just curious.

No I keep the same charge. The precision needed for pistol is not as great as that of a rifle. It will slightly increase the pressure but not noticeably.  I assume you Chrono to determine your charge? It’s the only reliable way to check it.

No I keep the same charge. The precision needed for pistol is not as great as that of a rifle. It will slightly increase the pressure but not noticeably.  I assume you Chrono to determine your charge? It’s the only reliable way to check it.

No, I don’t have a chrono right now. I just start with minimum published loads and try it in 3-4 guns to test for functionality and see if I need to bump up the charge or not. I will try the same charge though, thanks for the help

The only Glocks I see that need a lot of oil and cleaning are the “match” ones with after market barrels and slides. They tend to be tighter and need more oil and cleaning. You should be able to go thousands of rounds before being dirty causes issues in a Stock gun. At least that’s been my experience. 

Update: loaded some rounds at 1.125 and 1.120 and both of these rounds fed so much worse than the longer ones (1.13-1.14).

Going to try a different recoil spring weight, different magazine, and some factory ammo tomorrow and hope for different results on at least one front.

13 hours ago, looking4reloadingdeals said:

but I was having problems even right after I cleaned and lubed the gun

Did something get reassembled improperly?  Have you  restored it to original factory components?

Did something get reassembled improperly?  Have you  restored it to original factory components?

I don’t think so, but I’m going to put the original recoil spring in tomorrow and I also have heavier spring as well I can try if that doesn’t help. After a couple of the rounds got caught up Iv hit the back of the slide with my hand and it doesn’t always put the gun into battery, so I’m not convinced it will change much, but it’s about the last think I can think of

Try swapping the extractor from the 19, and testing the 34 extractor in the 19,  especially since the problems only recently started.   Also check the extractor plunger assembly.

That almost looks like there's a burr or bend on the extractor and the round isn't sliding under correctly.  How's the extractor look?

I’ll have to look at the extractor after work tonight and I’ll put up some pictures.

It has been operating normally though, I can say that much as of now. All of the rounds that have gotten stuck have been grabbed by the extractor and ejected, not sure if that means anything