Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is this brass?

I have noticed these over the years I believe it comes from stage 1 and because i'm always finding them in the primer seater I had thought they may come from the priming process. I dont seem to get as much as you but definitely get it. I get it mostly with 223.

What rounds were you loading?

25 minutes ago, Service Desk said:

New brass and most once fired brass seems to shed a bit during the belling and crimping operations. Wet tumbled brass does it too. Check your crimp to make sure it is not a too heavy and if it is with in specs. you are GTG.

I am wet tumbling. Didn't realize there were any negatives associated with cleaning that way other than dealing with the stainless steel pins...

I hate to say this too but I struggle with specifications on the crimp. If I remember correctly the Dillon manual only showed a visual reference of proper crimp and a mention that the bullet should feel tight in the case. Please correct me if I am off-base.

width of 9mm case times two. width of projectile. so say 0.010 for brass times two gets you 0.020 and a projectile of 0.356 and you end up with 0.376". i crimp at 0.378".

The best way to think about it is you're not crimping, but straightening the case walls back to their original position.  I like a little bit of bevel at the mouth, but not so much as to impact other dimensions.

50 minutes ago, ParaLarry said:

Tighten the crimp die just enough until you can’t push the bullet in by hand pushing it against your bench.

This is wrong.  You need to size the case down sufficiently to hold the bullet.  A taper crimp isn't supposed to do that and it won't.  Go with what Rowdy says above.  As for what that is, any chance it's lead shavings from the bullets?

1 minute ago, ltdmstr said:

This is wrong.  You need to size the case down sufficiently to hold the bullet.  A taper crimp isn't supposed to do that and it won't.  Go with what Rowdy says above.  As for what that is, any chance it's lead shavings from the bullets?

This and Rowdy are correct

The shavings are brass from the belling/case mouth flaring operation.  I'm about 95% sure.  OBTW, you're not doing anything dangerous so don't sweat so much.

You need to adjust your powder die so the bell/flare is not excessive. This is what happens when the brass has too much bell/flare. The case mouth becomes wider than the hole of the crimp die thereby shaving off the excess bell/flare of the case.

Post a pic of a case after it comes off of the powder die. 

Can't make it out properly but those look more like copper shavings from the bullet jackets.

If so, you are (1) trying to seat the bullet deeper while the case mouth is already being crimped (if you re using a seater die that also performs a crimp function). Or (2) you are trying to seat the bullet while the case mouth is not flared (enough), thus shaving off copper from the base of the bullets.

Edited by RGA

12 hours ago, Falloutboy89 said:

I am wet tumbling. Didn't realize there were any negatives associated with cleaning that way other than dealing with the stainless steel pins...

I hate to say this too but I struggle with specifications on the crimp. If I remember correctly the Dillon manual only showed a visual reference of proper crimp and a mention that the bullet should feel tight in the case. Please correct me if I am off-base.

Simple way to adjust your crimp die is to back the die off a turn or so then put a factory loaded round in the crimp station, raise the platform up all the way and screw the crimp die in until it stops, back the handle off a bit and adjust the crimp die down another 1/8th turn and lock the die up. That will get you into the ballpark. Crimp stops the projectile from coming out of the case, case tension stops it from being set back into the case.

The way I set my bell is to take a case and over bell it then run it in the bullet seat die and measure the mouth. Then over bell that dimension by a couple of thou. Then when the case leaves the powder drop station that little over bell keeps the case straight on its way to get a bullet because it’s running against the sides of the bullet seat die.

Filter the good advice from the not so being given here. There’s a lot of good stuff previously written on the BE forum so your best bet is to do a search and check it out.

As far as the brass shavings go, I think it’s a bit excessive and as one already wrote you’re probably belling too much.

Now for your crimp, only crimp enough to;

1. Hold bullet.

2. Pass plunk and gauge test for your chamber.

3. So as not to leave any bing dents in the bullet. You’ll have to get a hammer bullet puller to add to your reloading tool set. Big dents can cause tumbling of the bullet in flight.  

Reloading is a hobby in itself so enjoy the journey.  

BTW rowdyb’s advise is pretty reliable and detailed. 

On 7/1/2019 at 5:47 PM, Service Desk said:

New brass and most once fired brass seems to shed a bit during the belling and crimping operations. Wet tumbled brass does it too. Check your crimp to make sure it is not a too heavy and if it is with in specs. you are GTG.

What he said.  I get it most from wet tumbled brass

On 7/1/2019 at 3:44 PM, Hi-Power Jack said:

Would you have a photo of a piece of brass you just expanded to load the bullet in ?

Looks like you might be expanding the brass too much - it might show up in

the  LCBin.

Thanks for all the replies. I had just left for vacation when all the responses starting coming in. I was able to take a couple of quick photos but they were blurry and then I was gone.

I took a couple more today. I know this sounds crazy but it seems like its expanded even further than I remember... I was thinking it would be barely noticeable. But these photos are saying something completely different IMO.

Regardless. Let me know what you all think. Thanks again.

IMG_5881.jpg

IMG_5882.jpg

2 hours ago, Falloutboy89 said:

Thanks for all the replies. I had just left for vacation when all the responses starting coming in. I was able to take a couple of quick photos but they were blurry and then I was gone.

I took a couple more today. I know this sounds crazy but it seems like its expanded even further than I remember... I was thinking it would be barely noticeable. But these photos are saying something completely different IMO.

Regardless. Let me know what you all think. Thanks again.

IMG_5881.jpg

IMG_5882.jpg

That’s not too bad depending on Bullet.

Forgive my ignorance.....but are you using the Dillon powder funnel or an aftermarket version ?

I've got a learning curve ahead of me.   My prior experience with handgun rounds was always with smaller expansion and jacketed hollow points for hunting.   Coated lead and plated is a new territory for me.

Really grateful for the knowledge that's shared here at B.E.'s shooting forums.