Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hornady Bullet feeder and coated bullets

DIYguy

I use the Hornady 9mm bullet feeder die on my Dillon 650 and it works great. Sent thousands of rounds down those tubes but they've been Berry's147g  plated, in flat nose and hollow point. Over the weekend tried an experiment loading Acme 147g FP "lipstick" bullets. After changing all my settings for the new bullets started loading some test batches. First twenty rounds or so OK and then I could not get bullets to drop out of the die. Kept tweaking the die settings but no luck. Had to hand place each bullet to complete my test loads.

Anyone else use this setup and run into any issues?

Order another set of collets from Hornady, then carefully sand the inside of the bottom collet to .356" or .357".  Use bevel base coated bullets.  Or you can do as I did and ditch the whole Hornady bullet feed system for a Mr. Bulletfeeder system.  The mini works well, but I went for the whole system.  I love it.

Currently already checking out the Mr Bulletfeeder. $470 for the 9mm. Was also looking at the Mini for $140

I did check bullet size and noted the coated measured .3565 so just a fraction over the .356 spec.  Measured ten and they all measured the same so at least consistent.

Yesterday I went ahead and ordered the Mini Mr Bulletfeeder for the 9mm. Ya...I know "should have gone with the full auto version" argument but weighed the pros and con.

I've been using the Hornady bullet die and tubes for couple years now and used to taking a rack of tubes and loading up about (100) bullets at a time. Same with my primers, hand loaded tube. Until I'm in the RT100 primer class I still have to stop and reload primers and bullets. I'm OK with pausing every hundred rounds, restock and go again. I usually only load 200 to 300 rounds per session when I can get time away to stand at the press. Also single load a LOT of rifle so split time.

Also have two tool heads set up for 223 but haven't loaded anything yet, all single stage match grade ammo. If I like the bulletfeeder I'll order the 223 full version and try and get an extra plate for the 9mm. I'm already using the 9mm AA powder funnel on my powder drop.

Plus, I've already put a hurt on the check book for firearm and reloading related goodies in the last month......

On 7/2/2019 at 3:36 PM, DIYguy said:

Yesterday I went ahead and ordered the Mini Mr Bulletfeeder for the 9mm. Ya...I know "should have gone with the full auto version" argument but weighed the pros and con.

I've been using the Hornady bullet die and tubes for couple years now and used to taking a rack of tubes and loading up about (100) bullets at a time. Same with my primers, hand loaded tube. Until I'm in the RT100 primer class I still have to stop and reload primers and bullets. I'm OK with pausing every hundred rounds, restock and go again. I usually only load 200 to 300 rounds per session when I can get time away to stand at the press. Also single load a LOT of rifle so split time.

Also have two tool heads set up for 223 but haven't loaded anything yet, all single stage match grade ammo. If I like the bulletfeeder I'll order the 223 full version and try and get an extra plate for the 9mm. I'm already using the 9mm AA powder funnel on my powder drop.

Plus, I've already put a hurt on the check book for firearm and reloading related goodies in the last month......

You will like the mini me bullet feeder. I had the same problem with the Hornady die when I switched to coated. I opened up the collets on it and it would work but would jam up about 3 or 4 times per hundred. That’s when I said screw it and order the mini. No problems 600 rounds in yet!!

That's what I'm hoping. I've been swapping e-mails with DAA about buying the full Mr Bullet feeder for 223 if it works out OK adding the plate for 9mm to convert both calibers to full auto load.

1 hour ago, DIYguy said:

That's what I'm hoping. I've been swapping e-mails with DAA about buying the full Mr Bullet feeder for 223 if it works out OK adding the plate for 9mm to convert both calibers to full auto load.

Try the mini first.  It requires zero adjustment when you change bullets or calibers.  You just pop one out and pop another in.  The full system requires you to adjust a couple of things each time you change bullets.  It's not hard to do, but it is exacting with some bullets.  I want all of mine to drop down one at a time and right side up, so I'm anal about the adjustments.

BTW, if you need parts or any help, contact the guy who actually invented it.  https://www.mrbulletfeeder.biz/