Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

powder measure getting caught up on itself

One of my powder measure keeps getting caught on itself. when im lowering the ram the powder bar starts to reset but shown in the picture the red arrow gets hung up on the blue arrow. I wasnt able to figure out how to adjust this. One thing I saw when searching was to bend it but that didnt sound right

Baylor13_5018turretpressS.jpg

what press do you have this on?

Where you have the bolt is supposed to have the failsafe rod.

The rod pulls(lack of a better term)when you return the handel up.

This sticking is normal(a safety feature)

Old style Dillon powder measures that used the spring you have did not have the tab you have the red arrow pointing at.

To use it (powder measure)on a non Dillon with out the rod you would need to remove the tab the read arrow points at.WFItrOOl.jpg

old style

Edited by AHI

I have a brand new 650 XL, and its doing the exact thing. I just set it up last Thursday and it seems the slower you go the more it catches. The metal tabs pointed with the red arrow is bent and I was wondering if it was meant to be that way and obviously it is. 

I apologize for the confusion i pulled this picture from google just to illustrate the point of issue. Now that im looking at the picture it definitely looks like its rigged to work on a different press.

Im on a 650 i setup last weekend.  This measure was on my 550 prior to yesterday. I cant recall it having any issue there.

Its more of a jam than a stick. you can push through it and it will pop but cause powder spillage.

To elaborate on my previous post, here is a video. If you study the bellcrank assembly, you’ll see why this works. 

I like springs, and the old style measures. You can see the 1050 in the background wears an old style. However, this particular press is a box stock up to date 1050. 

Just snug the bolt up. 

The clunking will go away. 

4 hours ago, Ssanders224 said:

I should add, only snug the bolt enough to prevent the tab from catching. Not so tight that you have put the bellcrank in a bad bind. 

THANKS.. I have this issue on an automated 1050.. never thought to snug it up... :) 

20 minutes ago, Loudgp said:

THANKS.. I have this issue on an automated 1050.. never thought to snug it up... :) 

No problem. 

It catches/clunks because the weight of the powder measure assembly (gravity) rotates the bellcrank assembly before the fail safe rod begins to pull the "safety tab" portion of the bellcrank out of the way.  By snugging the bolt (and having the rod timed properly), you will overcome the quick drop of the measure assembly, and the fail safe rod will rotate the "safety tab" out of the way just as the bellcrank rotates down. 

I also like the older style, have several that I run on the 550 with dual springs and eliminate the FS rod (in fact, AHI's pic above is one of my PMs :) ). But on the 1050 I've stuck with the newer KaKlunk style that comes with the 1050 QC kits. 

There was a webpage (eric's page referenced in the link above) that showed how to convert the new style to the old style, but it's not available online anymore for whatever reason.  I should have saved that down, I usually do when I find stuff like that b/c it often disappears :(.

• 2 years later...

Thanks for the video SSanders.  This just started happening to my RL1100.  I could only tighten the bolt about 1/8 turn, but I also tightened up the rod nut and it seems to be working better.

38 minutes ago, Cuz said:

Thanks for the video SSanders.  This just started happening to my RL1100.  I could only tighten the bolt about 1/8 turn, but I also tightened up the rod nut and it seems to be working better.

No problem. Forgot I even made that video, ha. 

It didn’t totally solve the problem. I have 3 of these powder measures for my 550, as well as a couple of the old models. I think I like the old model better, so maybe I’ll swap them. 

10 hours ago, Cuz said:

It didn’t totally solve the problem. I have 3 of these powder measures for my 550, as well as a couple of the old models. I think I like the old model better, so maybe I’ll swap them. 

If you want to shoot me a video of what is happening, I can help diagnose. 

• 2 months later...

I found this site because I was having similar issues that I’ve since fixed, thank you for the comments and wealth of knowledge and experience.

My issue was caused by the bellcrank bolt being a bit loose allowing the powder measure to drop under its own weight the second was an issue with the fail safe rod. The end of the rod was not bent properly from the factory and would begin pulling the bellcrank down before the rod reached the bottom of the slot. This caused the bellcrank to pull the powder measure down prior to pulling the locking bar clear of the powder measure.  I bent the end of the fail safe rod so that it would pass through the hole in the locking bar and slot in the bellcrank at a 90 degree angle, eliminating the binding. Now it clears the locking bar from the powder measure before engaging the bell crank and pulling the powder measure down.

Edited by TJ-1