Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

USPSA eligibility to vote?

gose

With the upcoming USPSA election, I took a quick look in the bylaws and noticed that, according to section 6.3, only members that are US citizens are allowed to vote.

AFAIK, USPSA doesnt track immigration status and there are definitely quite a few non-citizens members of USPSA and likely some of them vote too.

I assume the bylaws have to be followed for an election to be valid, so how can USPSA guarantee the integrity of the election if there's a really close or contested race, when they really have no idea if someone really is eligible to vote or not?

Maybe it's time to change the bylaws to instead read "Legal resident of the United States"? Seems easier than tracking people's immigration status :D

Proving that you are a legal resident is just as easy/difficult as proving that you're a citizen.  A lot of the documents that one might think prove legal residency do not, particularly those issued in California.

To answer your question, I seriously doubt USPSA HQ knows who's a citizen and who is not.  And I doubt the membership at large cares.

They don't have any way to know who is US citizen, according to Mike Foley, this was a recent change in the bylaws, yet they chose to use residency as proof of citizenship. 

Anyone can join USPSA, give an address in the United States and be considered a US citizen. 

There is nothing to stop one person from making up names and joining multiple times and voting, since voting is online, they have no idea if the persons membership is a fake name they used to join.

You should be required to shoot a hole in your ballot for the candidate of your choice.  At least that way you're probably legally able to own a gun in the US and hopefully not a terrible shot.

1 hour ago, bret said:

They don't have any way to know who is US citizen, according to Mike Foley, this was a recent change in the bylaws, yet they chose to use residency as proof of citizenship. 

Anyone can join USPSA, give an address in the United States and be considered a US citizen. 

There is nothing to stop one person from making up names and joining multiple times and voting, since voting is online, they have no idea if the persons membership is a fake name they used to join.

This sport has a lot of down right stupid goings on. If it is ever proven to have enough losers that planned and spent their money to throw the election of leadership I'm out.

Perhaps instead of the date deadline for eligibility they could require the voter be classified, with at least one score in the last x years. Really require such persons to invest some time and planning getting their extra votes in.

That'd also make sense vs citizenship, who cares where a person is from if they're actively shooting matches under the USPSA banner.

Let me ask a more fundamental question......if you are paid up as a member, why should you be denied a vote because of where you live or what country's name is on your passport?

It's a sport governing body, not a national government.

If USPSA doesn't want to let non-citizens vote, then don't take their membership money.

7 minutes ago, elguapo said:

Let me ask a more fundamental question......if you are paid up as a member, why should you be denied a vote because of where you live or what country's name is on your passport?

If USPSA doesn't want to let non-citizens vote, then don't take their membership money.

agree. if you live here and shoot matches, you should be able to vote.

10 minutes ago, elguapo said:

Because the BOD changed the bylaws to say only US Citizens can vote. 

They did not say that you had to be a US Citizen to join or shoot USPSA. 

Mike Foley said they are using your address as a way to prove citizenship. 

There are plenty of active good shooters from Jamaica, are they going to be able to vote? 

There were some comments about it on a Facebook post but now they are gone,  looks like someone at USPSA doesn't like this being discussed.

4 minutes ago, PhilTerry said:

What about US citizens who are USPSA members but live overseas?

Guess they can't vote unless they maintain a US address. 

The election hasn't started and this interpretation of what us citizenship is, already is muddying it up.

With their method of enforcing citizenship, they have already ruing the integrity of the vote.

1 hour ago, shred said:

You should be required to shoot a hole in your ballot for the candidate of your choice.  At least that way you're probably legally able to own a gun in the US and hopefully not a terrible shot.

I feel like this is an underappreciated comment.  Brilliant.  

32 minutes ago, motosapiens said:

If you are a uspsa member,  you should be able to vote.

I like the idea of having to actually shoot uspsa matches to vote. 

You should also have to shoot uspsa matches to be an r.o., rm or rmi, too many professional r.o.'s don't shoot or can't shoot but work matches, but that is another issue.

1 minute ago, motosapiens said:

lol @ "professional r.o.'s"

there's some big money being made in that profession.

They aren't making money but they work the matches and are not very good at it. 

Can a r.o. get DQd for shooting a hole in a ditch barrel clearing a shotgun? 

Just now, bret said:

They aren't making money but they work the matches and are not very good at it. 

Can a r.o. get DQd for shooting a hole in a ditch barrel clearing a shotgun? 

Oh, so it's not shooting you care about, but actually being a decent RO.... that makes a LOT more sense.  FWIW, there is already an RO disciplinary process in place to deal with problems.

52 minutes ago, bret said:

Because the BOD changed the bylaws to say only US Citizens can vote. 

They did not say that you had to be a US Citizen to join or shoot USPSA. 

Mike Foley said they are using your address as a way to prove citizenship. 

There are plenty of active good shooters from Jamaica, are they going to be able to vote? 

There were some comments about it on a Facebook post but now they are gone,  looks like someone at USPSA doesn't like this being discussed.

You missed the point, I think.

1 hour ago, motosapiens said:

I don't agree with your qualifiers.  If you're a member in good standing, regardless of where you live or shoot (or even if you don't shoot any matches) then you should get a vote.

8 minutes ago, motosapiens said:

Oh, so it's not shooting you care about, but actually being a decent RO.... that makes a LOT more sense.  FWIW, there is already an RO disciplinary process in place to deal with problems.

If they are good r.o's I don't care but most of the professional r.o.'s that are not very good don't shoot or don't shoot very well.

There may not be a connection but there seems to be one.

1 minute ago, elguapo said:

I don't agree with your qualifiers.  If you're a member in good standing, regardless of where you live or shoot (or even if you don't shoot any matches) then you should get a vote.

It doesn't bother me if your opinion is wrong. Personally I don't want 10k russian residents joining uspsa and voting for someone who will ruin pistol matches by letting rifles in.... wait, wut?

3 minutes ago, elguapo said:

You missed the point, I think.

I may have, I see some merit in shooting matches to vote, but if you are a uspsa member, you should be able to vote.

They have no problem taking your money but want to restrict who can vote and pick a bad method of determining who is a citizen. 

I saw the "citizen" notation on the announcement email and took it as them just trying to distinguish from IPSC members. On reflection upon reading the comments here, I agree it should have been worded "US citizens or residents" and left it at that.

Edited by Mcfoto

17 minutes ago, motosapiens said:

It doesn't bother me if your opinion is wrong. Personally I don't want 10k russian residents joining uspsa and voting for someone who will ruin pistol matches by letting rifles in.... wait, wut?

BWAHAHA