Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Trouble installing extended safety on Shadow 2

TommyTwoTone

Hi Folks,

I'm having trouble completing the install of the extended safety in my Shadow 2. I've got it about 0.1" away from having it seated where it's supposed to be. Every YT video makes it look easy...there's a spring loaded detent you push backward with a thin tool and then simply push the safety in the rest of the way. You're also supposed to hear an audible click that doesn't happen for me either. I know this is like a 5 minute replacement job but I'm well over that. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for your help,

TTT

1cd6a032426b4b637cb0891757d101c3.jpg

Push down on the part of the seat that engages the safety. It’s directly above the P in spring.

That will rotate the seat down. Then push the left hand detent back with a pick and at the same time push the safety in.

Don’t worry about hearing a click.

If you haven’t already, try fitting the left hand safety into the right hand safety out of the gun. Sometimes they need a little fitting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don’t worry about hearing a click.

If you haven’t already, try fitting the left hand safety into the right hand safety out of the gun. Sometimes they need a little fitting.

Did you confirm the “D” shaped end of the pin fits into the right side of the safety freely? I’ve had a few safety sets that were a slight interference fit.

I think you two are onto something. The extended safety in the box came with a right and left side that I had to bang with a hammer and punch to get apart. Do you think it may be as easy as pounding the left side of the safety selector into the right side while I pull back the safety detent plunger? I think there's a detent behind the right side of the safety switch too. I'll have to lay the gun on its right side to keep the right side of the switch stationary and pound on the pin from the left side while the left side detent is pulled to the rear. I'll probably need a second pair of hands. What a pain in the ass.

20 minutes ago, TommyTwoTone said:

I think you two are onto something. The extended safety in the box came with a right and left side that I had to bang with a hammer and punch to get apart. Do you think it may be as easy as pounding the left side of the safety selector into the right side while I pull back the safety detent plunger? I think there's a detent behind the right side of the safety switch too. I'll have to lay the gun on its right side to keep the right side of the switch stationary and pound on the pin from the left side while the left side detent is pulled to the rear. I'll probably need a second pair of hands. What a pain in the ass.

If you’ve got a vice or a c-clamp that’ll be a bit more controlled than a hammer and frees up a hand.

personally I would take both of the levers out and confirm fit before forcing it

If you’ve got a vice or a c-clamp that’ll be a bit more controlled than a hammer and frees up a hand.

personally I would take both of the levers out and confirm fit before forcing it

I've got a vise but I'd think pushing from both sides could bust the right side detent.

This may be a dumb question, but you are using the right side safety that came with the extended left, and not the one that came with the flat, right? 

Not a dumb question! Perhaps I'm the dummy?

I left the original right side of the safety in...never took it out. Aren't they the same? I suppose that would explain why they included the extended with a right side switch but none of the safety switch install videos I saw on YT took both sides out.

6 minutes ago, TommyTwoTone said:

I left the original right side of the safety in. Aren't they the same?

not always .

sometimes u need to file the flat area.

Edited by yigal

9 minutes ago, TommyTwoTone said:

I left the original right side of the safety in...never took it out. Aren't they the same? I suppose that would explain why they included the extended with a right side switch but none of the safety switch install videos I saw on YT took both sides out.

I ran into the same problem.  I believe the instruction tell you to make sure and use them as a set.  Try that.  I think it'll solve your problem.

Update... It was simply a tight fitting left side. I'm not sure if I buy the left and right are mated/manufactured as a set. The pair installed by the factory was was looser fitting, able to be squeezed together by hand while the left side of the extended set had a really girthy pin...it had to be coaxed in with a hammer to mate with either right side pieces I received with the gun. I ended up taking the advise to dig into the parts a bit and removed the mainspring assembly and sear to confirm my original suspicions. Not all that hard to do and will serve as a confidence booster for more extreme disassembly sessions that may come down the road. Thanks again to the forum for help. Hope everyone has a safe and happy 4th.