Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Will Lightweight handguard allow more dot bounce?

I'm pretty close to ordering a CF handguard to cut down on front end weight of my gmr-15. But am I jumping out of the frying pan into the fire? The lighter weight will allow me to swwing the gun faster, but will it also let the front end jump more with each shot?

For those that have changed, did it make a difference? Is it worth the trade-off?

I tried it and I didn’t like it and went back to the JP. I did find the dot bounced too much for me, and was more difficult to control. My wife likes her CF hand guard though because she doesn’t have the strength to move the gun as well. Only way to know is to try it and see, but you may be disappointed, as I was.

Just put a Smoke on my JP.  I really like the feel.  I don't see any increased bounce.  YMMV.  I went with 13".  There was no charge for custom length, just charged me for the 14".  Ordered Tuesday morning, got it Friday

You won’t regret it.

Drive the gun hard into your shoulder and control it, don’t let it control you. If your offhand bicep (from pulling back on the HG) and strong side shoulder don’t feel the strain from clamping the gun between them like a vise, you’re giving up more there than some handguard can ever give you. ;) 

Edited by MemphisMechanic
On 6/30/2019 at 8:12 PM, Silverscooby27 said:

I tried it and I didn’t like it and went back to the JP. I did find the dot bounced too much for me, and was more difficult to control. My wife likes her CF hand guard though because she doesn’t have the strength to move the gun as well. Only way to know is to try it and see, but you may be disappointed, as I was.

Same here.  Need some weight on the front.

13 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

You won’t regret it.

Drive the gun hard into your shoulder and control it, don’t let it control you. If your offhand bicep (from pulling back on the HG) and strong side shoulder don’t feel the strain from clamping the gun between them like a vise, you’re giving up more there than some handguard can ever give you. ;) 

Very good advice.  Making it all muscle memory is the hard part once the beep sounds.

54 minutes ago, 10cup said:

Very good advice.  Making it all muscle memory is the hard part once the beep sounds.

It’s like gripping a pistol though; you see the gun move too much (or in this case the dot bounces up and to the side) and you remember to bear down on the gun before shooting the next target.

For myself, I learned to drive the gun this way in matches first. Fixing it on the fly and making it a conscious act for the rest of the stage.

Eventually I did it consciously at the beep, and finally it just became fulltime normal.

Don't forget that we have 26 ounces of mag&ammo hanging off the gun in front of trigger, when starting a 32 round stage.  By the end of the stage,  a lot has changed in the way of weight distribution.

Personally a few  ounces less on the handguard  doesn't seem to make much difference to me all things considered.

33 minutes ago, BlackBuzzard said:

Don't forget that we have 26 ounces of mag&ammo hanging off the gun in front of trigger, when starting a 32 round stage.  By the end of the stage,  a lot has changed in the way of weight distribution.

Personally a few  ounces less on the handguard  doesn't seem to make much difference to me all things considered.

Good point.

On 7/3/2019 at 11:33 AM, MemphisMechanic said:

It’s like gripping a pistol though; you see the gun move too much (or in this case the dot bounces up and to the side) and you remember to bear down on the gun before shooting the next target.

For myself, I learned to drive the gun this way in matches first. Fixing it on the fly and making it a conscious act for the rest of the stage.

Eventually I did it consciously at the beep, and finally it just became fulltime normal.

Good to know.  I am still trying to master that.  Trying to go to fast hinders that learning process at least for me.  

What dot bounce? Here is a video on my TACCOM page......total weight of the barrel and Hand Guard is 22 ounces (14 ounce ULW barrel, 8 ounce hand guard). Never mind that I'm slow as hell on this video.....it's recoil and muzzle rise you want to see here. Also, take note on the earlier double taps on the big plates. If it does rise....it's comes back fast. Oh....and that is not 9mm, that is 45ACP with factory Federal 230 grain ammo.....with a 203PF. Why do I shoot 45? I'm bored with 9mm at times. Also......the recoil system is the Delayed Blow Back.

Edited by TRUBL

I shot the Smoke handguard in a comp today. I LOVE IT! It really makes the gun balance better for me and I could tell no difference in dot movement. I highly recommend them.