Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

suppressor brand

verla

Most guys shooting more accuracy oriented matches use Thunderbeast cans.

AAC can be hit and miss for accuracy and repeatability.

SAS makes a good can.  A touch loud and they have a history of not treating their dealers very well.

I have never seen a PTP can used at a match.  Their site shows that they are some heavy cans.

that is another good choice- forgot about it- how does it stack up against thunderbeast and SAS? especially the SAS 7" reaper MX? heard that this a good one also.

2 hours ago, verla said:

does the use of a suppressor change the point of impact?

Yes.  You are throwing 10-16 ounches of weight on the end of the barrel.

Its no big deal if you always shoot it with the can on.

why would putting extra weight on the end of the barrel change the point of impact if you are shooting from a solid rest? Does 10-16 ounces bend the barrel that much?

according to Tim some of the design features of the AAC and thunder beast suppressors were copied from SAS. 

Harmonics.

47 minutes ago, verla said:

why would putting extra weight on the end of the barrel change the point of impact if you are shooting from a solid rest? Does 10-16 ounces bend the barrel that much?

maybe barrel harmonics- what about escaping gases around the bullet?

my old O/U MX-8 trap gun does not build up very much plastic from the wad even after hundreds of rounds- harmonics of barrel?

Edited by verla

22 hours ago, verla said:

why would putting extra weight on the end of the barrel change the point of impact if you are shooting from a solid rest?

It just causes the barrel to behave differently than if there was nothing on the end.

would harmonics do it?

I do not have my contacts at WW anymore to ask them- they would probably know.

there has to be a logical explanation for this effect.

Tim , president of SAS had these comments on the change of POI resulting from the attachment of a suppressor-

In most of the cases it is a barrel threading issue. The technique to thread a barrel for a suppressor is very time consuming.  Pretty much any factory threaded barrel is 90% going to be off axis with the bore.

If the barrel is very light the added weight will change the harmonics, or the place in the barrels whip when the bullet exits the bore.

And of course it could be a muzzle brake or suppressor issue also. 

@verla  Listen to Hoser. He knows a lot about suppressors. 

Adding anything to the end of a barrel can change your poi and potentially your groups. Suppressors do, MagnetoSpeed chronos do it. Benchrest and Rimfire guys even do it on purpose with "tuners".

Buy a Thunder Beast and be done...

50 minutes ago, verla said:

why put a thunder beast on a rifle that the threads are off axis with the bore? makes no sense. 

Why put any can or any other muzzle attachment on a rifle with off-center threads?

If the threads are not cut correctly, it doesent matter what you put on the end of it.

Do some more research on POI shift with muzzle attachments.  Brakes, flash hiders, cans, ect will change point of impact.  Its just the way it is.

barrels vibrate when the round goes off,, good ones vibrate uniformly, good ammo travels the same speed and exits the barrel at a point in the vibration. Add weights you change the vibration..  Why you dont rest the barrel on something when you zero..or why people free float rifle barrels.. Or why wooden stocked guns change POI with humidity levels and temp. All about uniformity... GO add a weight to the end of the barrel everything change

• 5 weeks later...

I am not convinced that a suppressor for a 6mm credmoor is worth it- money involved, long wait time to get permit, selection of the "right" suppressor, having the threads on the end of the rifle barrel checked to make sure they are "in line" with the axis of the bore- i.e. centered.

It may be worthwhile for a subsonic round in a pistol caliber, but the 6mm creedmoor bullet goes 2960 fps. My electronic earmuffs cost less than $100 and they deaden the sound nicely.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I used a Rugged Surge and an Omega 300 on my RPR in 6.5.  The poi change at 100 yards was virtually the same with both cans, just over a mil.  I used direct thread mounts for both and the Omega is quite a bit lighter than the surge. I would have bought a TB but at the time they didn't have a great QD option not sure if they do now or not.  I like to be able to juggle a few cans on several rifles.  

• 2 months later...

I have an Ultra 9 for my 6.5CM and love it.  I also have about 7 cans from SilencerCo. and they haven't let me down yet.  I just keep one on each rifle, dial them in with them on and leave them.  If you get the Ultra or an Omega, make sure you check out Area 419 and the quick attachment they have.  Makes life really easy for taking on and off if needed.  

Edited by TacticalJesus