Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

hollow guide rod on XDM 9mm

verla

bought a 4.5" springfield XDM to put a vortex red dot on it. Shot it sever times- muzzle was very flippy even when the recoil spring was changed. Thought a solid guide rod was needed- solid SS ones were too expensive and just slip into the existing hollow one. Melted down some lead wheel weights and poured the lead in the guide rod after heating it. Tapped it and heated it again the remove any potential bubbles. Put it into pistol when cool. Shot a mag full- greatly reduced the muzzle flip.

What does the guide rod weigh and what sport are you shooting, as their are different rule sets...  Finally got serious with mine today and shot some IDPA 5X5's,, man I suck,, although at the end of training I figured out I suck a bit less than I thought as I was shooting at 17 yards,, VS 10

19 hours ago, verla said:

bought a 4.5" springfield XDM to put a vortex red dot on it. Shot it sever times- muzzle was very flippy even when the recoil spring was changed. Thought a solid guide rod was needed- solid SS ones were too expensive and just slip into the existing hollow one. Melted down some lead wheel weights and poured the lead in the guide rod after heating it. Tapped it and heated it again the remove any potential bubbles. Put it into pistol when cool. Shot a mag full- greatly reduced the muzzle flip.

Filling with lead is an old trick and works great in my 5.25

• 1 month later...

Springer Precision makes a nice Tungsten rod that slips into the factory rod and is not that expensive, it can also be removed if needed, they have 2 versions a lighter one with a spacer behind the tungsten for Production and a full length one for CO. just put one in my wife's XDm seemed to tame the snap a little