Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

suppressors

verla

• 3 months later...

I purchased a Ruger suppressor for my 22 rifles.  Works super, great quality.  Here are the pros and cons for me:

Pros:  When I'm teaching someone who is a little nervous, the lower noise level is easier on them.  When I'm shooting with a buddy who has a suppressor, we can talk during the shooting without ear protection.

Cons:  Time to get one, it was 11 months for me.  Cost, even with a special deal.  Variable point of impact on some guns.  My Ruger precision rifle does not change point of impact with the addition of a suppressor, my other guns do.  Cleaning is a pain in the butt, even with an ultrasonic.  NEVER let cleaning of your suppressor go too long or you will regret it.  The biggest con for me is that if when I show up at your range with a suppressor and everyone else does not have one, there is no benefit to using it, as everyone else is making lots of noise.

These are the issues I've found.  Do I regret the purchase?  Nope.  Am I happy with the Ruger product?  Yes for sure.  As with other Ruger products, their suppressor is built like a tank.  I'm sure other companies make good suppressors as well.

Good luck with your decision.

PIf a can is “soo expensive” maybe precision rifle is not for you.  It’s a buy once cry once purchase, there is no going back afterwards, and no used market to speak of, shooting off baracades  in windy conditions sucks, so those are the cons.  Shooting suppressed makes things easier, less recoil less noise which make you more accurate, I like cans that come apart, ie that are not welded together, makes getting them serviced easier, IMHO they don’t require or need cleaning unless it’s a rim fire can, both of mine are direct thread and the POI shift is spot on repeatable.  

Edited by 427Cobra

Since this is precision rifle I'll answer from that perspective.  Depending on application YMMV.  

Cons: suppressors add weight, and it's weight at the end of a very long lever.  If you have difficulty maneuvering an already heavy PRS rifle, not for you.  Increased maintenance.  Any issues in the muzzle threading will be very apparent and cause issues, much more so than with a muzzle brake.  Although they provide recoil mitigation, they are not as effective as a muzzle brake.  PRS matches require the ability to spot your impact and make corrections based on that.  Yes, the guy who hits the most without missing will probably win, but being able to see misses or even where on the target you are impacting is key.  They are much more quiet than a rifle with a brake.  For a match with one shooter at a time, it's important but not huge.  For team matches it makes more sense.

Pros: Much more quiet, some recoil mitigation and increased ability to spot impacts over rifle with no muzzle attachments.  The price really is not that great and the suppressor will likely outlast the barrel, or two or three at least.  In team matches where you may be using partner for support it's much nicer than torching off his ear pro with the gas from the muzzle brake.  

Pros 

Obviously quiets the rifle down which makes it more pleasant to shoot and is courteous to your neighbors

reduced recoil 

Does not throw dust/dirt like a  muzzle brake

single ear pro so it’s easier to communicate with your spotter. 

Great for new shooters to help them learn the fundamentals without developing a flinch. 

Cons 

10-12month wait for your stamp 

Makes a long rifle longer, slightly more challenging to get in/out of tight shooting positions. 

The newer cans don’t need to be disassembled and cleaned unless it’s a rim fire. Titanium cans are lighter and stronger than the old steel ones. Buy the best because it’s pretty much yours for life. Spend it on a Q or TB, don’t go cheap on your suppressor. I went with Q but there are lots of good manufacturers out there, do your homework before purchasing. 

Edited by NateTSU