Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
Tanders

Springfield Loaded vs. Range Officer in 9mm

Looking at picking up a 9mm 1911 for messing around in SS minor.  Pretty well locked in on the Springfields, but I'm waffling between the Loaded and the Range Officer.  The Loaded has the features I want, but everybody seems to think that the Range Officer is fit a little bit better.  Anybody have any experience with these two?  Are the barrels the same in both?  I keep seeing variable info about whether or not the Loaded has a match-grade barrel.

If the loaded is the one with the front cocking serrations and adjustable sight go with that one.

Both have the same bbls to my knowledge.

The front cocking serrations make a nice difference for a competition gun

I have a Loaded in .45acp and a RO in 9mm.

Both were bought within a month or two of each other with manf. dates that were just weeks apart.

The Loaded, after a set of VZ grips + a Smith & Alexander magwell mainspring housing installs sets up very close to my non-railed TRP.  It's very accurate and the trigger is good.  Tightly built gun.  The sights are identical.  It's had a great deal of carry time.  Does have an ambi, which I used to not care for, but I'm soon facing some shoulder surgery on my dominant-side shoulder (right) and the gun will be getting some left-handed carry.

The RO was bought simply for range use.....thinking that a 9mm would be nice to have due to ammo cost.  The adjustable sights are well made, but harder to see.  I bought a Dawson fiber optic front sight that I need to install.    Trigger is great. Also a tightly fitted slide to frame fit.  Accuracy is very good.  No ambi safety, which is fine for the range use it gets.

Both guns have match barrels. 

Same trigger config in each.  Both pull at medium effort and break clean. 

Zero complaints with either gun.

I like the clean slide on the RO as I never use front cocking serrations and they simply chew on my holsters some more.  I'd have omitted them from the Loaded & TRP had I been given a choice.

Can't go wrong with either.....really just comes down to which options you'd like.

Thanks a million!  Exactly the info I was looking for.  Since the barrel is the same in both, I'll probably get the Loaded since I like forward cocking serrations and ambi-safeties.

I picked up a loaded in 9mm here used. It's an older model in stainless. 

The front slide serrations are great and I consider this a must have feature on slides now. 

The gun runs great, was tuned up quite a bit by the previous owner trigger wise, but the fit and finish is a bit below standards set by higher end guns, none of which bothers me much. I may start filing on the beavertail at some point and the slide to frame fit is just a little loose which is at the bottom of my care about list. 

You'll probably want a strip of grip tape to put on the front strap. 

Not much I can add outside what has already been stated, but love my loaded. Just replaced the grips with VZ for more stickiness and it runs like a champ. 

Awesome!  I kept seeing posts where people say that the Range Officer was fit better and had a better barrel.  Based on what I'm hearing from you guys, it sounds like that isn't the case.

If you can find a Springfield loaded target, they have the adjustable rear sight and front serrations. The cost is about the same as a RO.

I had an RO in 9mm and after some techwell grips and mag well, a little skate tape on the front of the grip it was a fantastic gun. Never had an issue with it, it ran on Wilson mags extremely well. 

I dont think youll you’ll go wrong either way. 9mm in a SS is a lot of fun!

Would replace the MIM components and eventually have it rebarreled for tighter lockup.  Have 4ea RO's in different calibers and for a competition gun I would start with the above, OEM barrel and bushing fitment is "serviceable".

If your set on a Springfield,  I'd go with the loaded target also for the front serrations and adjustable rear sight included, as mentioned above.  I do use front serrations in competition at ULSC, and the adjustable rear sight is nice for adjusting to your reloads.  For competition only, I wouldn't worry to much about the MIM parts, as long as you dont start trying to go home 'smith on them.  If you decide you want to start making changes beyond adjusting springs, sure, by a good ignition set then. And the accuracy from the factory should be plenty for SS; cant say I'd spend the money on a new barrel.

Front serrations are useless on the 9mm because of the light recoil spring so I don't see the point in the loaded unless you can get it cheaper. I would just find the cheapest RO Target and throw a dawson magwell on there.  

Seems a major difference between the two is that the Load Target has an ambidextrous safety while the RO does not.